How Does Music Affect You?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Getting to sing wonderful, spiritual, uplifting songs in my church service, helps set my soul off for the week ahead.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I love music. I always listen to some songs when ever i am alone . Even  while reading some thing or writing posts I do listen to some songs of my choice. Whenever I am happy I listen to songs.and even when  iam sad I listen to few favorites songs. Some times I  used to forget the world around me while listening to my favorite singer Unni krishnan's classical and semi  classical songs. My entire family is  slaves to music  I can proudly say  as my son and my husband Used to listen  to songs whenever they can. . They both are good singers too. Thanks to the inventions of DVD CD and Mp3 . I cant  Imagine a day without songs.

C0dE

Post by C0dE » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:46 am

Music makes me feel uplifted , motivates me and can as you have all said also make me sad.  I like to use the power of music mainly to motivate me for my day ahead. whenever people ask me what kind of music am I into i always reply anything as long as it suits the occasion

CassandraOh

Post by CassandraOh » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:56 am

Not only does the music i listen to usually reflect my mood. But I also write music, and sometimes i don't understand where the mood/theme my music takes really comes from, because it's sometimes not what i'm feeling or at least not what I'm aware I'm feeling. Music is a strange phenomenon but a welcome one.

childofazna

How music affects me.

Post by childofazna » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:23 pm

It actually brings me back to  the world, energizes, and reconnects me.   That reconnection is critical to my life. I sometimes withdraw, and while that's fine if it's short lived,  if detached for too long, I  get left behind temporarily, until I catch up again.  It also can be a mini vacation, transporting you to Ella Fitzgeralds time, The Beatles's time, Creedence's time, The awesome 80's. etc., etc., I don't listen to music that makes me sad or reminds me of a sad time or place in my life.  It's all about doing everything  possible to be happy!  Thanks, C.O.A. (child of Azna)

ec

Post by ec » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:25 am

We are about 80 percent water and when you play water beautiful music it's crystals make beautiful patterns.... it resonates quite literally within us... it vibrates...think of mantras and the such.... music is the best I love it and I love making it... xxx (I love anything harmonious and sincere) xxx

MaggieRose

Post by MaggieRose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I love music.  I play Mountain Dulcimer with a local group and I sing Alto.  I also sing at church and love bluegrass and traditional music.  Celtic music is also a favorite of mine.  I'm not much into rap or newer music because the rhythms seem off to me.  I love to listen to whale sounds and nature sounds which is good because I live next to a forest.  We hear all the sounds at night, peepers in the creek, water running, cyotes yipping and bugs singing make my night.  It soothes me to listen to them all.

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 am

I love all of those things too! They are soothing in a world that is almost crazy with crazy energy at times. We are mostly water, and as the moon affects the tides, she also affects us. Music can be a wonderful tool for understanding yourself better. It is a healer and uplifter, but it can also be the exact opposite. It's amazing to me how music, just simple notes sung or played can and does affect us in every day life.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

I enjoy a great deal of music, i vary music according to my mood.  Too many sad songs will make me feel very sad.

I love bird song, there is something very simple and uplifting about it.

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 am

Hi Suzi!

I've been off the boards for a little while. It's good to see you!

I love to listen to the ocean and the rain. Actually I like water in general. I have fountains in my home and it's just very soothing to me. I agree about the sad songs, but the thing that makes a song sad is how we feel about it. What affects one, may not affect another in the same way. It's all very individual. That's part of it's beauty and allure. I know that to some, Christmas, or holiday music lifts their spirits, and for others it is a heavy weight that carries a lot of sadness. Some cry when they listen to whales or dolphins. Some laugh when they hear funeral music. Strange I know, but each of us are so different and so much the same. Music is a languange all it's own and it communicates to each of us in it's own way. Music to me is universal like love, yet as individual as your choice of foods and colors.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

smartyknickers

Post by smartyknickers » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:41 pm

Firstly, Ashs92lude, I adore your avatar!  Within the past 2 years I've developed a strong appreciation for peafowl.   I love love love them!   They bring happiness to my mood and soul; they are my favorite bird.  

Now, what an interesting topic about music.  I listen to music to experience a wide scope of emotions.  My natural mood is always up, high and positive, and it's nearly impossible to break my spirit.  But there have been points in my life when despair and sadness have inspired me to do something extraordinary. (Or, maybe even in past lives.)   I rarely feel that level despair in my life (even in bleak situations) but it gives me great pleasure to remember and reminisce about the heartache, and how I overcame it through creativity, selflessness, self-improvement and self-expression.  Music allows me to experience it again, vicariously.   For 3 or 4 minutes, I'm transported back to a different place and time to feel that joy, guilt, anguish, desperation, lust, or whatever else.  It's almost as if I transform briefly to embody that emotion.  

I enjoy listening to many genres, especially those with lots of major and minor 7ths, complicated chords, and lyrics charged with innuendos.   New wave music, French house music, atmospheric trance, neo soul (Amy Winehouse,) the mechanical purity of tech house, motown (interesting, since I didn't live through that era,) disco, and some indie rock.  

Awesome topic!

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi Smartyknickers,

I began this topic to see how music affects others, as I know it affect me. I love listening the what I call angel music done with crystal bowls and such. I and my sister work with angels and others. Thank you so much for what you have shared here!

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Betrayed

Post by Betrayed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Music is mostly neutral to me. Or rather, I go for neutral music.

When I'm in a bad mood, I just don't listen to any. It's like, I don't want any sympathy from an mp3 file and I don't want happy happy music when I'm all down.

I don't like very negative/angsty music. I feel like the speaker is pouring all his problems on me. lol.
It puts me in the same mood I get after having my mom nag at me.

Bands like slipknot give me headaches. I can't listen to them. xD

Minakochan

Post by Minakochan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Different types of music bring me different kinds of memories.

I love ballads and most romantic music because I'm a romantic person. I just love to feel in love (even at times when I don't have anybody to be romantic with, I would dream about that special someone while listening to some ballad).

Unfortunately I tend to tie certain kinds of music to certain people.

For example, I learned to love Elvis' music because of my ex-fiancé. I would really listen to it all day and would record CDs to listen when I went to sleep. Since I broke up with him and never wanted to see him again, I rarely listen to Elvis anymore. I still like his music once in a while, but I don't listen to it additively like I would before.

Japanese-pop (or J-pop) would remind me of my "first love", or the time that I listened to it most which was when I was arround 14-17 years-old.

Other random music (like what is on the radio at the time) would just remind me of the time that song was a hit.

I guess, that's how music affects me mostly. It triggers my memories like wild :P but I love it. I love music.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:54 pm

A friend of mine who listens to a rock station constantly has just won a trip to LA to see a group.  Music certainly means a lot to him today!  LOL

Return to “General Discussion”