What's your favorite book/author?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Castitatis Lilium

Post by Castitatis Lilium » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:12 pm

De Valse Dagraad by Jan van Aken.
A dutch book about Hroswith, a men who travells a lot and has nice adventoures around the year 1000.

Purple Spirit

Post by Purple Spirit » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Tales from Shadows by Chris Clinton is an awesome story about how an "ordinary" woman begins to figure out who she is.  She must first overcome her own insecurities before she can blossom into what she was meant to be.....a Mam. Captivating!

MysticKristy

Post by MysticKristy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:48 pm

As a couple of people have already said, I like Stephen King. Funny thing is, I just got interested in him while reading the Dark Tower series. Don't get me wrong, I've tried to read him in the past and found him too wordy and couldn't finish...lol. I have ADHD and that may have been a factor....don't know. Point is...lol....I have some newfound respect for him through reading the Dark Tower series. I am a slow reader (took me two years to read The Hobbit), but I finished the Gunslinger in three days...lol.

I also like James Patterson.

I like any book that can hold my attention. I am very fond of horror and suspense. Romance...not so much. I'm just not a romance book person...lol. I actually get perterbed if there is too much romance in the books I am reading...lol.

Anyhow...I ramble. ;)

zooey

Post by zooey » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:51 am

I love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - that's probably my all time favourite.. but not far behind is
Neil Gaiman - especially his Sandman series - everything he writes is pure beauty!
House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski
She's come Undone - Wally Lamb
almost aything written by Douglas Coupland
Anything written by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Disneyfreak

Post by Disneyfreak » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 am

I wish i liked to read, its just to hard.

Rev_Vesta

Reading.....

Post by Rev_Vesta » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:55 am

I have a personal library of great books i have really enjoyed............

authors i have really enjoyed....... Traci Harding....... Dragon Queens.........(#2 of a trilogy read one can;t remember the title for #1) waiting for #3 now......

Paulo Coelho- Witch of Portebello, Alchemist, The Zahir,  Brigit.....

Zoe Ferraris- The night of the Mi'raj

Peter Colhoun- Soul on Fire (recommend a trnsformational journey from Priest to Shaman)...

The Journey- Brandon Bays....(biography...)

Phillipa Bowers- the Wise Woman's tale...

Ann Moura- Green witchcraft...

Silver RavenWolf- To Stir a Magick Cauldron,  To Ride a Silver Broomstick and many others..........

I could go on and on.......... hope that gets you all started...lol

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 pm

I love books by Caroline Myss, she always makes me think. I also like Mona Lisa Shultz.  I am reading a great fiction book now called Loving Frank. Its is about Frank Lloyd Wright and his long time love whom he was not married to. I do believe
they were soul mates though.
Donna

Wolfie19

Post by Wolfie19 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:44 am

My favorite Author for the time being is Laurell K. Hamilton- the Meredith Gentry Series. I absolutely love this serious- so much so i am tired of waiting for the paperback to come out and seriously considering shelling out for the hardback- for i want them all in hardback now anyway- for the transport better when one packs for whatever reason- the book i got last month is called A Lick Of Frost- Meredith Gentry series is about a part human, part fey offered the throne of the Unseliee- if she can get pregnant before her competitor- but of course the Sidhe do not want a mortal Queen or even a princess- so she must live first! by surviving all the attempts on her life-

If you love faeries-And you like sex- these are the books for you- mind you the author is of some S&M stuff- but those who know- know the Sidhe- the Lords of the Faeries.

My close second is Dean Koontz- but not the author- only two of the same star- is what i speak of- for Dean Koontz is one author who has some good books- but with the Christopher Snow books- he topped the cake for me- for one is taken down the dark and twisty, monsterous nites that are in Koont's head- but love, family, and friends like family are here as well- and maybe i love Christopher Snow being an unusual outsider- like me!  
:smt003

These are my tops as far as fiction is concerned... non fiction- inshallah will be another post

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:14 pm

A delightful book I read recently was 'The Cloudspotter's Guide' by Gavin Pretor-Pinney. Aims to teach us "...to enjoy the contemplation of clouds, nature's poetry." My recommendation is to read it in conjunction with the music CD 'Clouds' by Kevin Kendle if possible!

Always fond of anything by George Orwell (a lovely, fluent style) and, over the years, I must have read everthing Sherlock Holmes several times over.

Would also recommend "The Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics" by David Dodd as it's so beautifully detailed and researched, even if you aren't into the band. But then, perhaps I'm a bit biased.....

Blessings

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 pm

:) I used to enjoy Piers Anthony a lot, although he seems to be taking on more than he can bite. Still buy every new Xanth that gets published, though.

Some of Ben Elton's make me think a lot and have a good laugh at the same time. Others are a bit too caustic and make for a rough reading.

Cannot think of any other authors at the moment, although there are many individual books I have really enjoyed in their time.

Capergal

Post by Capergal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:40 am

I am currently reading an awesome book.  Pandora's Daughter by Irish Johanson.  She is an awesome writter

Rev_Vesta

Added more Books

Post by Rev_Vesta » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 am

Shirley Maclaine- Sage-ing while Age-Ing..... Very good, thought provoking book..........

the Healer's manual Tony Andrews....

Doreen Virtue's Books...

Angel Medicine
Angel Therapy
The Lightworkers way
Earth Angels
Chakra Clearing & CD

and so many more

Told you I could go on and on.. so many great books., so many great authors...Depends on your interests.....

Mediums Biographies...
Mia Dolan
Allison Dubois
Jeanette Wilson
Colin Fry
Tony Stockwell
James Van Pragh
Sue Nicholson

Chakras
Ambika Wauters
David Pond
Doreen Virtue
Elise Marie Collins- Chakra Tonics
karla McLaren    Your Aura & Your Chakras
Keith Sherwood   Chakra Healing and Karmic Awareness

Meditatiions
Caroline Cotton The Isle of Is

There are more... but I think that's enough for you to Google...lol

Blessed Be!

Vesta

pjmac

Don Quixote

Post by pjmac » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 am

I have a lot of favorite books but I've been reading the classics lately and am just about finished with the book, "Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes." It’s not a short story it’s about a thousand pages long, and the best translation is by Edith Grossman.

It's a funny, weird and strange tale about a delusional knight (well he thinks he’s a knight) that takes place in 17th century Spain.
Everyone in the story knows he’s crazy but, they all play along and everyone seems to really enjoy him, as well as respect him partly because of his intelligence and partly for their own entertainment!

Return to “General Discussion”