Your opinion counts

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Krishnakumar M R

Your opinion counts

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Respected elders, pandits and gurujis,

I would like to have your great opinion on the below mentioned proverb or sayings:

In Tamil "oorar veetu pillayayai ooti valarthal, tham pillai thane valarum".

In English "If you feed (dont think otherwise) the neighbour child, your child will automatically grow".

Expecting a variety of reply from all... I think this will def. help all the parents to follow all or some part of the following comments of successor in their life (especially with their childrens).

Thanks

Krishna

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 pm

We don't have the proverb here....but my first thought is :

By your own action, you learn your children.

So by feeding your neighbors child, you learn your own child to care for other....you learn your own child that he/she is not the center of earth...that other people have equal value, and that we all need each other to grow as mankind.

Wolfshadow

Post by Wolfshadow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 am

It reminds me of "Do unto others as you have them do to you".

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 am

Feeding the neighbors child would be an act of reciprocity and could attract more from the community to nourish one's own child's growth. As well as teaching the child the act of giving which is conducive to growth in it's self.

Krishnakumar M R

Thanks

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Respected All,

Thanks for your opinion but i personally feel, still we have not the complete opinion/precise/appropriate inner meaning.

Till then we all wait and lets hope for some more opinion.

Thanks

Krishna

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:44 pm

The message is one of understanding the oneness of all life.  As you feed another child, your own will be fed, both physically and spiritually.  The message holds meaning on many levels.  Do unto others (Golden Rule) applies but so also a deeper spiritual awareness of feeding others with knowledge as well as food.  

Learning by example is so much better than by words (which can sometimes ring hollow when seen with actions).  Our children learn by what we do, not what we say.  The lesson may not be what you expect.  If a child sees someone else get more than themselves, the negative side can also express - jealousy, greed, envy, etc.

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Respected elders/pandits,

Namaste...

There is a saying/proverb in english.... "Show me your friends and I 'll tell you who you are"...

It applicable to each and every person / individual who has born in the world.  Friends can make another person either good or bad... i.e.  If X & Y are friends, X can make Y either good or bad fellow in the society by giving suggessions or encouraging the act of Y.

I personally feel, based on the above example, if we take care / feed our neighbour child with good thoughts, habits etc... it will get automatically passed through them to our child.

Also one more saying is "Drops of water can make flood"... If we pass good things our neighbour kids, it will get passed through them to all of his or her friends (like a network)...

Therefore, all the parents are definetly need to pay attention and give good things to their neighbour children first....

Lets all wait and have some more thoughts on this....

Thanks

Krishna

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:09 am

The quote you mentioned  "Drops of water can make flood" made me think of another quote, "a snow flake never felt responsible for an avalanche".

The other quote about knowing someone by their friends can also ring true as one has influenced their friends so they effect they have had on the people in their lives and tell a lot about them. As well as their friends attitude towards them. My grandpa says to spend time with successful people. One's friends also influence them just as they influence their friends. Also the variety or lack there or in the company one keeps can say a lot about their taste or about their open mindedness.

Maggie_Mamacat

Post by Maggie_Mamacat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 pm

The phrase "pay it forward" also seems applicable.  I've been helped through bad times by kind people.  This debt compels me to help others through bad times.  Some of those I help go on to be generous with others (or to help me when I have a problem) while others go on being selfish and taking and taking and taking from whoever they can coax into giving.  I feel sure that those who respond to help by being helpful will continue to get what they need from this world, but I do feel puzzled when I see that some selfish people continue to take and take without ever giving back to anyone.  What will happen to them?

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:25 am

Eventually the givers learn they are being used become familiar with the signs of users and learn to withdraw their energy from them so that the users can learn the hard way the need for giving back and reciprocal giving.

Paying it forward goes both ways. In magic they say what you send out comes back to you thrice fold. On the one side their is being helped out and feeling motivated to help others in turn. On the other side there is helping others when one is in a position to do so and then feeling further down the path or even instantly this energy coming back and others helping one when they are in a position to do so. Which all seem tied in to learning by example, as well as the law of attraction.

mathiasthom

Re: your opinion counts

Post by mathiasthom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:49 pm

After reading that quote, I would think that it is saying that children follow by example...

If you take care of a neighbor,they in return would (hopefully) do the same for their own family,or  community...

Kind of like a chain of random kindness... If I'm making any sense with my explanation...

cherokeelady

Post by cherokeelady » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm

The proverb has a spiritual meaning.  If you feed the neighbor child then your child will grow in friendship with that child.  It could also possibly mean that your child will learn kindness and how to help others from you.

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Respected all,

There is another quote which says "You will get the fruits based on what you put as seeds in the ground".  This quote can be applicable in our life...  

We all know (practically) that our kids are moving closely and spend their maximum time with the neighbour kids (As most of the parents do go to job).  Therefore, keeping our kids growth in our mind, we all need to start educating (whenever time permits) our neighbour kids / children with good habits, culture etc.  But we should keep it in mind, we should not always keep on forcing them to act in a specific manner.... This will give a negative results....

There is one more quote in Tamil "Alavukku meerinal Amirthamum Nanju" which means Even the Amirtham will also become a poison if it exceed the limit.  Therefore, the advice etc. are should not be given in over dose....

We all know that the kids/children network is greater than our network and the message what we taught to them will easily and instaneously spread by them.

Kids and God are equal... Therefore, we should be nonest and try to be so soft with them.  Ofcourse, this automatically produce a good result.  I mean making them as a soft person rather than an arogant person in future.

Krishna

Return to “General Discussion”