do you believe in god?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Charlesman

Post by Charlesman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:54 pm

To me, God is not a creator, but Creation itself.

It is not something to believe in, it is simply a name for 100% of existence - a mathmatical value. I no longer bother attempting to understand where it all came from, as even the best theory I've come up with seems flawed, and since I've realized it doesn't really matter.

I agree wholeheartedly that when you believe (or, especially - worship) something, you give it power (or create it). I also believe this power can be harnessed and used to do ones bidding. Hence I believe that prayer works, on the condition that the one doing the praying fully believes and feels it will work - much like I believe in cognitive dissonance or neuro-linguistic-programming.

I generally don't like religion, because they have a habit of teaching that only their path is the true one, which results in a lot of violence, seeing as it makes other beliefs a threat to its followers' very basis for existence. I furthermore believe that teaching someone about "the truth" takes away from them the habit of finding it for themselves, which, in my opinion, is an important part of life.

I consider myself an agnostic pantheist; pantheist meaning that I consider God to be everything that ever was, everything that is, and everything that ever will be and agnostic meaning that I'm open to the idea that I could be wrong.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Sincerely,

Charlesman.

akashasmiles

Post by akashasmiles » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 pm

I believe in many gods and goddesses though I believe they are all aspec6ts of one main energy :)

quietness

Post by quietness » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 am

Hmm, I have a ready answer, but I want to read the ebook first. :) I'll give an answer after I read the book. :)

Peace and blessings.

Hestia NicLoch

Post by Hestia NicLoch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 am

I feel a little left out.......

I don't really believe in God....not just one, anyway...

I believe in the Goddess, and many aspects of her. In all cultures and religions there are layers of the Goddess in symbols, myths, and the Goddesses in the stories themselves. You just have to know what to look for.
I kept trying to believe in the christian bible, but I just couldn't. I have since found several things untrue in it, many of them blatantly obvious, others only in the symbolism used.
I also believe in the Greek Gods and Goddesses, but not in the way they are portrayed in common myth. There are so many things people and time have corrupted about the old stories it is depressing.
There is something a few people have mentioned on here before, that believing in something creates it.....Well, I have a slightly different view. When you believe in something and give it power and truly believe it/he/she/they exist/s, you draw something to yourself. The nature of the deity you are worshipping is the nature of the deity you draw to yourself. If you worship something evil, or with an evil aspect, you will draw something evil to yourself, but the vice versa is also true.
I don't believe you can just believe in anything (or nothing), and get to the same place as others. It just isn't possible--Christians and Muslims, for example, do not have the same principles, do not have the same things that each believer must do, so a Christian and a Muslim could not end up in the same Heaven/Hell as each other. It just isn't possible. It might be possible though, that your Heaven/Hell is what you envisioned it to be--also as a Pagan, you end up where your faith dictates you will be, but as an atheist, or scientologist, you end up where you believe you will end up, in nothingness, or wherever.

ConfusedMind

Post by ConfusedMind » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 am

quietness, did you read the e-book? what's your thought?

quietness

Post by quietness » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 am

Yes, I did. :)

And if that is the definition of God, then I believe. :) I'd like to offer my opinion that the "God" of a person is usually very similar to him or her. For example, a judgmental and unforgiving person believes that God will punish sinners, while the kind and loving person believes that God is forgiving and loves everyone unconditionally. "It's all in you. You are God. Feel it. Believe it."

I've tried suggesting this concept to a group of Christians, and they challenged that I should shoot myself to see if I'll still live, like "God" would if he shoots himself. I guess they just confused the concept. :) I know of priests and pastors, however, that come very close to accepting this concept of God. :)

Thank you for sharing. It was a very interesting read. :)

misty sur

Post by misty sur » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

i do believe in God. but to me, God is so great, so huge, so gigantic that he or she cannot be framed in a picture or sculpted in an idol.  to me, he or she has no physical shape, size or figure.

MacLir

Post by MacLir » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:08 am

Nope, i belive in Goddess, heh..heh...
    But spiritual being can have no sexes. How we perceive that Ultimate Being is determined by our--& the founders of religions--limited perceptions. When Moshe(Moses) wanted to see God's face, God said: "No one can see Me and stays alive". Only by leaving our physical vessel, we will then be free from the physically limited perceptions.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:39 am

Do U believe in God ?  I dislike   answering  this question first. Because, it  gives me  the feeling that ,  by  answering  this question, Iam doubting my God  and His   existence . More than that, To me,  Love is God , God is Love. .We  could  only feel , the love  as well as God . Both Love and God can never be defined.   . . Till date,  no one is born  to  explain ,  what is Love and what is God.? in a definite form.   Can u doubt your breath ? When  the answer  is   no,  then U cant doubt God too. If u believe u are living , u must believe,  there is God.  thanks.

warm wishes,

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm

God is spirit.  The spirit that lives and functions in me also lives and functions in all others.  In this way is a brotherhood of all that can solve every conflict that man can design.  Flow spirit flow and all my fears release.  I am a channel for they love and peace.

enumero123

Post by enumero123 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm

amen spiritalk we may not see eye to eye on some things, but i feel ya sister,may the spirit of source energy flow freely and all reconnect to this energy

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:30 pm

prasanna wrote:Do U believe in God ?  I dislike   answering  this question first. Because, it  gives me  the feeling that ,  by  answering  this question, Iam doubting my God  and His   existence . More than that, To me,  Love is God , God is Love. .We  could  only feel , the love  as well as God . Both Love and God can never be defined.   . . Till date,  no one is born  to  explain ,  what is Love and what is God.? in a definite form.   Can u doubt your breath ? When  the answer  is   no,  then U cant doubt God too. If u believe u are living , u must believe,  there is God.  thanks.

warm wishes,
Good and positive thinking

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks  dear  Dhan.  

Regards,

ConfusedMind

Post by ConfusedMind » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 am

Quietness,  thank you for going through the book and sharing your views.

"Do U believe in God ?  I dislike   answering  this question first. Because, it  gives me  the feeling that ,  by  answering  this question, Iam doubting my God  and His   existence . More than that, To me,  Love is God , God is Love. .We  could  only feel , the love  as well as God . Both Love and God can never be defined." --

when someone asks you about god, it reflects their doubts in God, not yours. if you have faith in what you believe to be god, that is not going to be affected other persons' doubt. rather, it is your duty to explain your point and share your knowledge. ignorance of the illiterate does not reflect the weakness of knowledge of the knowledgeable.  so, no insecurity in answering to the query if you believe god.

if god were love and love were god, two different words wouldn't have been necessary. love takes into account many things that godliness does not. or else, you have to what type of love you refer to when you equate it with the concept of god. love may have certain extent of godliness in it. but i refuse to believe that god is love and love is god. sorry. for me it makes no sense.

prasanna

God is love and faith.

Post by prasanna » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

Two men went fishing. One was an experienced fisherman, the other wasn't. Every time the experienced fisherman caught a big fish, he put it in his ice chest to keep it fresh. Whenever the inexperienced fisherman caught a big fish, he threw it back.

The experienced fisherman watched this go on all day and finally got tired of seeing the man waste good fish. 'Why do you keep throwing back all the big fish you catch?' he asked.

The inexperienced fisherman replied, 'I only have a small frying pan.'

Sometimes, like that fisherman, we throwback the big plans, big dreams, big jobs, big opportunities that God gives us. Our faith is too small.
  We laugh at that fisherman who didn't figure out that all he needed was a bigger frying pan, yet how ready are we to increase the size of our faith?
  Whether it's a problem or a possibility, God will never give you anything bigger than you can handle. That means we can confidently walk into anything God brings our way.

REMEMBER:

Stop telling God you've got big problems.
  Tell your problems you've got a BIG GOD!

Return to “General Discussion”