[b]What is your definition of religion?[/b]

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Krain

[b]What is your definition of religion?[/b]

Post by Krain » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:41 am

Hello everyone! I have an interesting, open question in regards to religion; what does religion mean to you? What are the things that you find are either true or contradictory to religion/religions in general? No offensive or straight-to-the-heart remarks please.  :)

StormGirl Blue

Post by StormGirl Blue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 am

I am not a lover of religion, only for the explorations of cultural diversity, history etc...

I believe we all believe in the same thing, only with different names, rituals, lore and interpretations... and it annoys me that we argue my God that your God this.. blah, ya;'ll arguing for and against the same side.

I am happier and closer to source when I worship down on the beach appreciating the magic of life than sitting in some pew in some church being read some books and being told what I must and must not believe.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Religion to me is the community of a group.  Sometimes people just need other people to help explore and understand their own beliefs and understanding of God and all that means to each of us.  

When religions entrench ideas and are  not open to the exploration they become stagnant and unfocused.  There is no energy of growth and understanding available, only the entrenched ideas.  This is perhaps why religions are currently undergoing some real strong changes that are unnerving to the faithful.  

And when we can open to the spirit in the community of religion, we are opening to the spirit of God, because is spirit.  Love is the glue that binds us all and living in the spirit helps us find that love for self and one another.

Adivinha

Post by Adivinha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 am

I agree with StormGirl. I think, for the most part, the whole concept of religion nowadays is just... Wrong. I respect everyone's opinions and religions, though, of course !

Religion is a point of view, right ? And we all have one and two people never have exactly the same one. So it's not something definable... Something concrete, I guess. It's so subjective... And it all comes down in believing on a higher power of some sorts. Some may say "I'm a Christian" but there's different layers to that (as to every religion). Some say they are but don't believe in what's written in the Bible or in angels... And that's okay, but then I wouldn't consider those Christians to have the same religion. You know what I mean ? Religion comes from within, our spirituality, what we believe in... There shouldn't be rules for that or sins associated to what we believe in either, in my view.

I don't have any standard "socially accepted" religion. I do come from a Christian family (well, country, for the most part lol) but I just consider myself to be "spiritual" and that's it. I have my beliefs and my spirituality... I do believe in a higher power and hierarchies of energy, I don't know what it is, but I feel it. I don't know if it's right either but... I don't have to know that either way. :) I'm just  spiritual being having a human experience... We all are. Our world shouldn't be fighting over religion. It doesn't matter who is right or not... Honestly, the most possible thing to happen is that we all are wrong lol.  :) And no one on this Earth can never be totally sure of anything regarding this matter

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:48 pm

I wonder sometimes if the wars are fought over religion or it is just an excuse based upon the greed and avarice of those who perpetrate the wars.  After all, war never ends, when it finishes in one place they take it on the road to the next place.

Adivinha

Post by Adivinha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 pm

spiritalk wrote:I wonder sometimes if the wars are fought over religion or it is just an excuse based upon the greed and avarice of those who perpetrate the wars.  After all, war never ends, when it finishes in one place they take it on the road to the next place.
I agree. It all comes down to having power... That's really what they are all fighting for. This only shows how badly shaped our world really is... I don't want to be represented by a government like that. But, unfortunatelly... Once you're involved in politics, there's no way you can work in there with absolutely all of your best intentions nowadays. There's so much manipulation and evilness going on in our world... It's a shame, but this problems can't be solved by us, humans. It's all a big trap and we're all walking around in circles here...

StormGirl Blue

Post by StormGirl Blue » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:03 pm

Yes thats a great point Spirittalk.
The lets fight wing use religious motive to stirr passionate support from the people.

In my private service I make a point in expressing to seekers that I believe everything we think we know is in theory, it is not until our time comes and only then that we will be rewarded with the complete and absolute truth.

Religion is an awesome platform ( wrong words I know ) if they would stay firm to their intention, I dont think the intention changes, but the interpretations tend to get molded and obscured.

I received a very valuable lesson from a Muslim friend. My friend was happy to discuss and debate issues with me. I used to own a translated copy of the Koran and I was very disturbed by some of the passages. When we discussed these he explained the meaning of the beliefs, they were far different from the presented translation. There were parts that were still difficult to accept and we both had to agree, that like the bible the words were written in different times, by men, not our creator.

I enjoy the lore of earth religions, like Australian Aboriginal and native American, the stories are rich in symbolism that I adore. many of the religious different teachings and lore from earth religions were delivered in such a way that the stories are passed down and shared in place of word written text.

Christianity may oppose the worshiping of various  "gods and goddess " but seems to over look the angels and their roles. My aunt was here the other day, a Christan believer who was very uncomfortable with  my Goddess cards sitting on my coffee table, but was also equally uncomfortable with my "healing with the angels" cards beside them, I asked her to tell me about Arch Angel Michael, and I asked her if the angels and saints may be valid yet the Hindu deity system of belief is wrong.. isn't t just different names and different stories ?

I will only know for sure when it is time, a will anyone that wishes to argue against me on this.. so I do not argue, someone else's belief is as valid and true as mine.

Evard

Post by Evard » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:29 am

I'm Henotheist Christian astrolomer Sylvan gala reign~den summoner Pax ..
and I work on the Dioscemic Vatican Promise today .. tonight really . . . . . :)

Spiritalk ,. yer on it today .. Whatever herbs were dumb .. ferget it .. What~$
Ever herb or smart ideal you involved yourself in today .. You received three
compliments about bein smart .. Good Call People .  Auld Lang Zyne gala :-D

OK. That's what I am .. be smart and if you can't understand me .. read it again

I'm known for Enterprise intelligent block grammar..  . actually, good luck to you.
It's actually the new SATA [SAS] drives not understanding command logic . . . .
so it pre-writes the com{m}on code it can't write as database proper . . . ask a
computer if you have to .. OWell ,. that's my peace.. Happy New Year EvryOne!!

Sunny Stream

Post by Sunny Stream » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

I beleive we all as a world, beleive in something... and there isnt that much difference...different names... but we all seem to aspire to love, and be kind...

What i love about people, is when something really bad happens, we all... what ever the religion strive to help one another... i remember the tsunami... people from all over the world, regardless of religion wanted to help...

Religion is used by some to start or keep a war going... one day...i hope that this will end..

I looked at all sorts of religions on my path while i was looking for what it was that just didnt fit for me...and yes they have principles, but for me too many rules and the one that upsets me the most is an unforgiving God...cus to me God is love and love is forgiveness...

These are only my views... and hope i havent inadvertantly upset anyone by posting my thoughts on this subject...its a difficult subject to converse about..

xxx

Charlesman

Post by Charlesman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 am

I don't like religion. They have this tendency to claim to know the truth, which is proof that they are lying.

That's why I'm part of a non-prophet irreligious disorganization.

misty sur

Post by misty sur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 am

to me, religion is not about following a certain group or having faith in a certain concept. it is about having faith in something so huge, so gigantic, that no one can shape it or build it or draw it or name it. religion to me is believing in the humankind, believing in yourself, believing in myself. religion is about being honest, being open-minded, having a broad vision, and of course, self-confidence. religion is about being transparent to your partner, it is about being the true friend of someone. it's about showing the right path to someone who has been lost. each and every human being can create religion. it doesn't need God or any supreme being to create religion. that's my view of religion.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Thank you Charles for giving it an interesting spin.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Misty:  That to me would be the best definition of spirituality we could find.  We need to record that for our own use.  Spirituality tends to lead us into lives of spirit focus and doing the best for self, then others.  

Would relilgion fit this when we do it as a community?  Seeking God in our lives and being the spirit of God in others' lives as well.

Zetascair20086

Post by Zetascair20086 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:57 am

Although I believe in things such as a souls, rebirth and paranormal abilities I feel no need for religion. It's my feeling religions are man made and used for social control. Some may get something out of it but I feel we'd be better exploring spiritual issues on our own without need for hierarchies and intermediaries.

Evard

Post by Evard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:26 am

Hi.  ~ Evard .  

I'm also Druidic and I like the new Tea Party deal on wiccan products proper with new approach to alchemy.
Storing magic wasn't quite "religion" though it's an interesting advent to Pantheon respect Deities or Godly ..

Charlesman ~ yer non-prophet  ..  can I interest you in Anew Free Trust .. it's a way to save property and a
deal on refurbish of economy by not allowing dioscetic powers of questionable God and Ontology . . . Thanks

I will be available if humor will be ' n~p ' ways to discuss .. ya know .. non prophet margin of faith and manna

..considering it's not faith to be irreligious ~ maybe Anew Faith Base of Economy will help with ya know , God:
~less accord to be at ease with powers of Nature .. anyway ., my thought will be sanctified with ~@# Phla~n!.

Thanks all .. its a topic reply board .. so I'm legal I thought .. OK I hope so .. Thanks again .. Peace and Manna

Evard ~ currently Dioscevalek.ema~n.dua!!alt~feng@shui~sana*taberi  #  or something Druidic .. Peace Earth.

Return to “General Discussion”