Lost a very good friend.

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

SamsonPI

Lost a very good friend.

Post by SamsonPI » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I made a friend on a forum about 5 years ago and we got on like a house on fire, I thought everything was ok between us, but the next time I came on that forum she had gone and I have never heard from her again. I don't understand why people go to the trouble to make friends just to log out and never come back. This has really saddened me deeply.

misty sur

Post by misty sur » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

hey, here's a hug. but it should be better if you just posted this thread to the "I need a hug" forum.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:09 am

I wonder if the internet makes people less considerate of others feelings  and makes interactions less valued because you don't see people on a face to face basis?

fisk_82

Post by fisk_82 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:09 am

I'm sorry to hear that but in my suggestion, it's better to find a real friend in the real world. In internet world sometimes people can become another person. Not that i say that every person in internet somehow a fake person.

Lala

Post by Lala » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 am

:( Sorry to hear this, I have my fingers crossed she gets in contact again.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

'I'm sorry to hear that but in my suggestion, it's better to find a real friend in the real world. In internet world sometimes people can become another person. Not that i say that every person in internet somehow a fake person.'

Very true fisk82, not very person is fake but a large percentage live out their fantasies here and in chat rooms. I find it fascinating, the more outrageous the persona on here the more feeble they seem in real life, I suppose that's why avatar games are so popular. If these persona's are diametrically opposite to the real person perhaps I should change my name to shortchubbyblokewithanaveragewilly then who knows, the world awaits......................

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:35 pm

And the dating sites.........What a joke!  You can be anyone you invent.

marcopolo123

Post by marcopolo123 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 am

i think the internet is a great way to make first contact. But if it stays at that things like this can happen for alot of resons.

Twacus

Post by Twacus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 am

I know the feeling of finding some one fun and cool to chat with and then out of the blue they vanish or something goes wrong.
I have had friends I have known for over five years and hand them vanish. One can only hope they are well and not in harms way. And that some day they might get that amusing urge to hope online and poke around with a hello.
*hugz* :)

blackspring

Post by blackspring » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you are upset to have a friend vanish on you, but as someone who sometimes does similar vanishing (I haven't logged on to facebook in over 3 years), I just wanted to say that you have no idea what else has been going on in that person's life, and his or her vanishing probably had very little to do with you personally.

Sometimes the real world of commitments suddenly demands that we spend less time online and more time attending to physical presences and responsibilities.

Sometimes, creating and developing an online presence and friendships is a form of distraction, a  way to escape from unwanted realities in our real lives, and eventually those realities can no longer be ignored and must be faced.

Sometimes people decide to spend less time on the internet and more time in nature, or in meditation, or another self-realizing pursuit.

Sometimes someone has many online presences across many forums, and needs to cut some of those ties after spreading themselves too thin.

Sometimes financial circumstances change and the luxury of a home internet connection can no longer be sustained.

Or perhaps something traumatic happened that upended your friend's life. When my sister died unexpectedly, I stopped checking my email for over 6 months, and my hotmail account was eventually shut down. When I was ready, I finally got back in touch with the people I cared about, but for quite some time, I was literally in a daze and barely had the energy to get out of bed or make meals for myself, let alone login and maintain discussions online.

My point is that there are many possibilities at play (as I'm sure you already know), and although you have every right to feel sad, I sincerely hope you don't take your friend's disappearance too personally, since I feel pretty certain it has nothing to do with you specifically.

Return to “General Discussion”