do you consider social-work as a successful profession?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

is social work a good profession or not.

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 5

sohini1234

do you consider social-work as a successful profession?

Post by sohini1234 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm

in today's world there are so many people & so many complication that no justice system can actully face the problems of mankind. so to eradicate the problems from root level social workers who intimately mix with the populace are an absolute neseciti. :)  :smt017

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Re: do you consider social-work as a successful profession?

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:34 pm

sohini1234 wrote:in today's world there are so many people & so many complication that no justice system can actully face the problems of mankind. so to eradicate the problems from root level social workers who intimately mix with the populace are an absolute neseciti. :)  :smt017
I completely agree with everything which you have said here about social work being a very worthwhile and much needed profession in the modern world, and have accordingly voted YES.

A good social worker who is also a good listener is worth more than his or her weight in gold. IMHO

Can I assume from your question that you are considering becoming a social worker yourself, and that you are therefore asking for our advice and opinions about you training to become a social worker at some stage?

If you have all (or most of) the required qualities to become a successful and effective social worker, and are willing to do the necessary training and hard work and accept that the pay is usually not very good, then I feel that you are well on the way to becoming one of them yourself, if this is your desire and your path.

Regards,

EoT  :smt023

Cox99

Post by Cox99 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 am

In my opinion, a social worker is a very valuable profession. So yes!

sohini1234

Post by sohini1234 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I feel that social work is very weightful profession and very peaceful work of social worker themself. But some people is corrupting this profession because lot of people chosing that type of profession for earning mony though you can not earn much mony through ohonest work. At present I have completed the MSW (master of social work) & working as a counsellor.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm

sohini1234 wrote:I feel that social work is very weightful profession and very peaceful work of social worker themself. But some people is corrupting this profession because lot of people chosing that type of profession for earning mony though you can not earn much mony through ohonest work. At present I have completed the MSW (master of social work) & working as a counsellor.
In all professions there is some level of corruption, although this is often considerably worse in countries where corruption extends to the highest levels of government.

You should not allow this sad but unavoidable truth to deter you from following what I believe is your life path, or main purpose during this lifetime.

Becoming a social worker after having successfully obtained the relevant qualifications, which you appear to be well on the way to achieving is a means to an end, rather than being an end unto itself.

Social work will allow you to develop the interpersonal skills that will not only help you to earn a living, but will also eventually be a great asset to you in other life areas.

There are BTW some exceptions to the general rule that social workers are poorly paid.

If you can establish a large clientele and a good reputation, there are opportunities for you to be taken on the parole of large and highly profitable organisations, where your salary will be very respectable, but no corruption will be involved.

A relatively small number of rotten apple social workers does not have to  make the whole barrel stink.

EoT

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm

sohini1234 wrote:I feel that social work is very weightful profession and very peaceful work of social worker themself. But some people is corrupting this profession because lot of people chosing that type of profession for earning mony though you can not earn much mony through ohonest work. At present I have completed the MSW (master of social work) & working as a counsellor.
In all professions there is some level of corruption, although this is often considerably worse in countries where corruption extends to the highest levels of government.

You should not allow this sad but unavoidable truth to deter you from following what I believe is your life path, or main purpose during this lifetime.

Becoming a social worker after having successfully obtained the relevant qualifications, which you appear to be well on the way to achieving is a means to an end, rather than being an end unto itself.

Social work will allow you to develop the interpersonal skills that will not only help you to earn a living, but will also eventually be a great asset to you in other life areas.

There are BTW some exceptions to the general rule that social workers are poorly paid.

If you can establish a large clientele and a good reputation, there are opportunities for you to be taken on the parole of large and highly profitable organisations, where your salary will be very respectable, but no corruption will be involved.

A relatively small number of rotten apple social workers does not have to  make the whole barrel stink.

EoT

sohini1234

Post by sohini1234 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:46 pm

yes, you are right. I feel that, every social worker is not a corrupt person, but some people are degrading this profession. I agree with you, A relatively small number of rotten apple social workers does not have to make the whole barrel stink.

Charlesman

Post by Charlesman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Meaningful? Sure.
Rewarding? Maybe.
Succesful? No.

Return to “General Discussion”