Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

saren

Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food

Post by saren » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi there,

I just moved to Vancouver, Canada and i'd like to know the cheapest options to shop for healthy organic food. I've been told the main options are CSA (community supported agriculture) where they pay to join to support farmers and in turn get a box of fresh vegetables every week. Another option is the organic retail shops (maybe a bit pricey but I live in Coquitlam (suburb) so maybe there is a shop nearby? I don't know. Also there are farmers markets however many shut down passed October. Unless i can find a winter market i may need to find other sources. An idea that really appeals to me is driving around the fraser valley looking for road signs (i.e fresh eggs, vegetables) and buying direct from the residents (backyard chickens, etc..). However i don't know how common this is near Vancouver. In Australia, it was based on the honour system, boxes of eggs and a suggested donation box. What do you think?

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Farm Folk City Folk Vancouver, Canada

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Saren,

The following website is located somewhere in East Vancouver.
What is a CSA Program?

C.S.A. is a program of mutual commitment between a farm and a community of supporters. It links people directly with their source of food, providing them with the most fresh, sustainably produced food; it gives farmers a source of income at their time of highest expense (early spring). Shareholders purchase a share in the season's harvest and receive a weekly package of food.
http://www.farmfolkcityfolk.ca/resource ... antry/csa/
FarmFolk CityFolk is a not for profit society that works to cultivate a local, sustainable food system. Our projects provide access to & protection of foodlands; support local growers and producers; and engage communities in the celebration of local food.

"Something happens to people who plant seeds--it is impossible to watch a plant grow and flourish without getting a sense of the miracle of all life."

-Herb Barbolet, Co-founder of FarmFolk CityFolk
http://www.farmfolkcityfolk.ca/who-we-are/

Hoping that this helps you in your search,

EoT  :smt003

Return to “General Discussion”