An antidote...!

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

An antidote...!

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:29 pm

For some project, lately I had been reading a fair bit of literature on the phenomenon of aging spanning from science to silly!

As baby boomers still form a sizeable chunk of population and continue to remain on the radars of the policy-makers, marketers and advertisers, the society at large has been gearing-up towards addressing the growing needs of that sub-population.

The aging of brain has been the focus with the rise in numbers of mental disorders of the cognitive kinds (dementia, Alzheimer's etc) in addition to a host of physical maladies.

There seem to be a rise in nutritional approaches (antioxidants, brain foods, etc) which address among other things and maladies of physical, metabolic, vascular nature -- in addition to the tendency towards mental plasticity and its loss!

Strategy games (chess, crosswords, Sudoku etc) and computer apps aside, one of the key antidote centers around language! Learning new languages, preferably of a very different kind than ones mother tongue or language in daily use, has been considered a very effective way of maintaining and even increasing mental plasticity and agility!

One of the advantages of learning astrology, it seems: the symbolic interpretation of the heavens! The language that runs across the fibers of all languages and lives!

Think about that...!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Why is it an andidote?

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 pm

As baby boomers still form a sizeable chunk of population and continue to remain on the radars of the policy-makers, marketers and advertisers, the society at large has been gearing-up towards addressing the growing needs of that sub-population.
Being a baby boomer myself I do not wish to be regarded as part of a sub population. It makes me sound like a member of a subspecies, or should that be subhuman.

Such age related divisive or discriminatory language used against people born during the years immediately after the end of WWII only makes us feel even more isolated from other generations, and as if we are the cause of all the world's problems.

Now I understand why.............
There seem to be a rise in nutritional approaches (antioxidants, brain foods, etc) which address among other things and maladies of physical, metabolic, vascular nature -- in addition to the tendency towards mental plasticity and its loss!
AND
Strategy games (chess, crosswords, Sudoku etc) and computer apps aside, one of the key antidote centers around language! Learning new languages, preferably of a very different kind than ones mother tongue or language in daily use, has been considered a very effective way of maintaining and even increasing mental plasticity and agility!
But I do not for the life of me understand how you learning astrology could make any significant impact on what seems to be my inevitable (according to what other generations are brainwashed into believing about us) descent or decline into permanent mental rigidity, and complete loss of flexibility and mental decay.
the society at large has been gearing-up towards addressing the growing needs of that sub-population.
One of my greatest needs is not to feel treated like I am a member of a subspecies, or should that be subhuman.

Think about that....!

EoT  :smt009

Rohiniranjan

Re: Why is it an andidote?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:17 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:
Being a baby boomer myself I do not wish to be regarded as part of a sub population. It makes me sound like a member of a subspecies, or should that be subhuman.

Such age related divisive or discriminatory language used against people born during the years immediately after the end of WWII only makes us feel even more isolated from other generations, and as if we are the cause of all the world's problems.

Now I understand why.............
AND
But I do not for the life of me understand how you learning astrology could make any significant impact on what seems to be my inevitable (according to what other generations are brainwashed into believing about us) descent or decline into permanent mental rigidity, and complete loss of flexibility and mental decay.
the society at large has been gearing-up towards addressing the growing needs of that sub-population.
One of my greatest needs is not to feel treated like I am a member of a subspecies, or should that be subhuman.

Think about that....!

EoT  :smt009
Sorry to rub you (us?) the wrong way, EoT, but I never used the term, "sub-species". You did! ;-)   You are a wise intuitive/psychic. The answer must lie within you! :-)

Sub-population is not an inflammatory term at all or marginalizing. It is a term used in demographics and its many applications. None of which are intended to be nefarious and must not be considered so.

Here is another example of the magic of perception vs reality!

What is a commonplace and non-hurtful term that I used, namely, sub-population was perceived by you as 'sub-species'!

The former refers to any slice of the same pie
The later can refer to the differences in the slices; those with more strawberries and/or crème vs those with fewer!

Food for thought?

Love,

Rohiniranjan

Return to “General Discussion”