Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Gaeliccrossed1

Post by Gaeliccrossed1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi Rhuto, Ive missed you the last few days I have been working................

Ms_Guided Angel

Post by Ms_Guided Angel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Hi again,  I won't be completely alone on Christmas, I have family around; but without my kids with me it just isn't the same.  I do hope you all have someone to share special moments with.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Samson wrote:Spiritalk, why is it so hard for you at Christmas, you shouldn't have to do anything, your children should be giving you Christmas, not the other way around and if they wont to do that then what does it mean to them for there Mom to do everything. When my parents were alive they never had to do anything for Christmas, we did it all, shouldn't that be same where you are.
My experience at 47 and as parent is that I still have to do the doing at Christmas.  My children, Americans that they are, expected to be pampered because that is what the American media tells them.  As I think Nicole mentioned earlier, that is the culture here and, like she says, it has gotten out of hand.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Ms_Guided Angel wrote:Christmas isn't always "The most wonderful time of the year" after all as it is portrayed in the media, etc.  Alot of you will be hurting this year due to the loss of loved ones.  I can't be excited about it as my sons have moved to live with their dad, this will be the second year with no boys home.  It just isn't the same for me anymore.  

From my childhoold memories, Christmas has always been about family, spending time together, sharing homemade gifts, singing, eating, eggnog, lightly falling snow (Romantic snow I call it now, lol!), the anticipation that Santa and the reindeer were coming sometime while we slept and ate our goodies left beside the fire.

Now I see people in crowded malls and carts piled high with expensive gifts that this society's kids will not likely appreciate and will never understand what the true meaning of Christmas really is....to me, it is sharing and giving the best of ourselves.  

This year I would like to take a trip to spend the holidays in a little cabin somewhere, tucked into the side of a mountain, cozy fireplace, long walks in the "Romantic snow" (if we get any!), good food, good wine, and a wish for world peace, as if.

Cheers
A very poignant post that captures what's wrong with the season and how it could be better enjoyed.  I know I am blessed that my son came to live with me instead of his mom.  Do you get to see your sons often?  I made sure that I lived close to my ex so I could be close to my kids (my daughter still lives with her mom).  Not everyone has that option, of course, but it was one I was, like I said, blessed to take advantage of.

batnitchka

Post by batnitchka » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:12 am

...deleted... :smt009
Last edited by batnitchka on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ms_Guided Angel

Post by Ms_Guided Angel » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:57 pm

[quote="EarlofLeicester

A very poignant post that captures what's wrong with the season and how it could be better enjoyed.  I know I am blessed that my son came to live with me instead of his mom.  Do you get to see your sons often?  I made sure that I lived close to my ex so I could be close to my kids (my daughter still lives with her mom).  Not everyone has that option, of course, but it was one I was, like I said, blessed to take advantage of.[/quote]

Nice to meet you Earl...

My boys come home in the summer ( they live 5000 km away). I will no doubt have more ability to spend time with them as they get older and get jobs, make their own money ( maybe). They are late teens now and spent all Christmas's with me so I keep that close to my heart.

priestess12

Post by priestess12 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:08 am

I like to sit in front of the television and eat cherry chapstick and imagine what it would be like to fly. Sometimes I turn invisible and go caroling just for laughs cuz it freaks people out.

Ok I'm kidding. I spend it with my family eating and opening presents. Chapstick is not usually on the menu.LOL

Samson

Post by Samson » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:51 pm

I see Christmas as the Rich getting Richer and the Pore getting Poorer.

KitchenWitch

Post by KitchenWitch » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 pm

While I was shopping with my mother this weekend, I kept hearing Tyler Durden's line from Fight Club: "...Working jobs you hate to buy shit you don't need..."  I'm suddenly glad that I spent quite a few years as a poor little kitchen witch.  If I can't make it for the holidays, it doesn't get given.

Besides, it's much easier to pack away a box of home-made butterscotch cookies or cranberry and apple gingerbread than yet another kitschy battery-powered singing snowman/santa/reindeer/puppy dog/etc.

sorceress426

Post by sorceress426 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Oh Samson...I'm so sorry you feel that way.  But the truth is most companies live for that.

I try to share the holidays, share a touch of me.  I keep track of favorite colors, favorite foods, favorite anythings...
The I go to work, in my spare time, creating a favorite one of a kind.

I sew a special piece of clothing, create a piece of jewelry, cook a specific scent...

Each gift is individualized.  And the joy memorable.

People buy all year long...how often do you get the chance to create...a memory.

Samson

Post by Samson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 am

I don't buy or make anything, because there isn't anyone to give it to, usually Christmas for me is sitting in front of my computer eating a sandwich and playing a game.

BlueSpot

Post by BlueSpot » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:07 pm

I see Christmas and the Easter the most beautiful holidays ever. Christmas is not about gifts and food, for me Christmas is all about the spirit and white snow. I don't know why, but it happens that every Christmas, my heart fills with joy. :)

MaMilke

Post by MaMilke » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Hello!

Well you  all have heard to those pretty and movie christmas in this forum, right?! Now is time to you know whats christmas for me ( and im not grinch, most of you might not have watched it I think).
Think about the 2 best places where I possibly can go to christmas? my home( boring option, the only celebrative party is that we have a diferent food, and YES no trees -.-) or one of my parents home. ( think of the stupid aunts that are only tryng to say that have more material money and think of my grandmother that lock her money and do make us stay all compacted in a room). Now think of that pretty snow in the houses in the trees, well it just doesn't exist here in Brazil! Think of the trees you find decorated, you think in brazil we would spare our time doing that while we can buy an expensive fake tree?
Now think of one of the most boring things, turning on the tv (NO!NO!NO!DON'T CLICK ON THAT BUTTON!) And than we have to watch our stupid brazilian channel thats famous for been the one that the biggest number of programs to watch, most aren't fun). Now think of having to waste money in present when is in parents home, or not wasting and not having any if in home ( Ok! im not materialist, but without em it just doesn't help!). And for the best I dont belive in santa -.- ( when I was 5 I saw my dad changing of clothes using santa clothes, coming by the door [that time i lived in a house] and leaving home going inside my dads car! who he is tryng to hide ? ... And my friend says it do exist christmas spirit, No it doesn't! The only best thing in christmas is that I can eat my VEGETARIAN food and run to go bed. Ah and my family doesnt drink alcohol in such times, different from most of the brazilians. Now, anyone think I have a chance of find the christmas spirit any time in life?

sorceress426

Post by sorceress426 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:10 am

Samson, aren't you married? Do you have children? What about friends?  If you are that bored, get on the computer & we'll trade lines to songs...:)

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Hello Sorceress426, To answer your question regarding about me being married and having children, are no and I don't, I'm on my own. What lines would you like to trade to what songs, I'm interested.

Return to “General Discussion”