Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

pranay

Post by pranay » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:10 pm

Well looks like this christmas of mine is going to be different!

I have been invited to a yatch party for christmas ece and just hope my parents let me go.

DeeFrap

Post by DeeFrap » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 am

We celebrate with family.  I agree that Christmas has become very commercialized, but I am glad to say that we haven't fallen victim to that.   My husband is Italian so I try my hardest to do the feast of seven fishes (I never quite get seven cause I am a little picky about my fish).  I try though, we have fettucine alfredo for dinner on Christmas Eve with the fish.  On Christmas day we go to my parents, we spend the day.  Yes we exchange gifts but always it's the thought that counts not the gift.  Mom serves coffee and pastry while the gifts are being opened.  Then after everyone else arrives we have a ham dinner.  Followed by her homemade cookies.   As the day progresses more family visits,Mom and Dad put out cheese and crackers with more cookies.  For me it's always been a day to be with my family and a day when I definately put on a few pounds.

pranay

Post by pranay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:10 pm

What is the feast of 7 fishes?

DeeFrap

feast of seven fish

Post by DeeFrap » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:57 am

It is an Italian tradition, supposedly ( I am not Italian so corrections are welcome) if you have seven different fish on Christmas eve you have good luck in the new year.

amadea1949

we just enjoy each other

Post by amadea1949 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:58 am

We go to my daughters for dinner.  We usually have ham and turkey and special mashed potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and milk.  My son in law makes them and they are scrumptious.  Then we open presents and play games.  Usually we play trivial pursuit dvd game.  It has dwindled in that we used to have more people.  Things change and everyone has other places to go but its nice keeping it small.  Anytime we get together is special.  I love to listen to Christmas music but we talk to much to enjoy that. lol.
  I wish the spirit of Christmas could last all year.  Even though people push and shove when Christmas shopping and some can be rude, I still think there is magic in the air at Christmas.

newbeginnings507

it will be different this year.

Post by newbeginnings507 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:19 pm

i always celebrate christmas with family. on christmas eve with open gifts with my mom and on christmas morning we go to my  grandparents house and have a big breeakfast of biscuits and chocolate gravy, eggs, ham, all that stuff. then we open presents there. it was always wonderful. but it will be different this year. this will be my first christmas without my mom. since she was murdered the grandparents have pushed me away. i am going to do christmas dinner with my husbands family this year.  it is going to be a sad day without my mom though. :smt009  i hope everyone has a great christmas and new year

amadea1949

chocolate gravy?

Post by amadea1949 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:45 pm

Did you say chocolate gravy?

newbeginnings507

Post by newbeginnings507 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:09 pm

yes i said chocolate gravy. it is the best. you should try it. you could probably find a recipe on the computer. i am going to miss the chocolate gravy.

amadea1949

Post by amadea1949 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Sorry that I didn't say more. I never heard of chocolate gravy.  I am sorry you had such a bad time.  I hope that you can have a happy Christmas.  Everyone is so worried about what to buy instead of appreciating what  and who they have.  
  I am sure your Mom will be with you in spirit.  Maybe you can make the gravy as a way of keeping the tradition alive and feeling her there.

newbeginnings507

thank you

Post by newbeginnings507 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:52 am

thank you so much. since thishas happened i have realized how much i should have appreciated her. also i know now that you should never take for grantid the time you spend with family. you should always watch what you say because it may be the last thing you ever got to say to that person. the last time i ever got to speak to my mom was on the phone the night it happened. luckily i told her i loved her. i wish i could have said more.

the chocolate gravy was always made by my "grandfather" so i will not be making that but having a christmas celebration on christmas eve was her tradition and i do plan on keeping it going in her spirit. she will be there in my heart.

Samson

Post by Samson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Don't feel sad Newbeginnings507, I know what it's like not to have a parent there for Christmas, both of my parents are deceased, so for me it's not the same.

Illumination

Post by Illumination » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Most important me is to spend time with family and friends, and to acknowledge and share our many blessings as a family.  I've never been "away" for Christmas, and have always celebrated at the family hearthstone.  Blessings to all!!!

Return to “General Discussion”