Back to the Moon!

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 pm

We certainly need to come to terms with our waring nature before considering any other planet or world.

maplewoman

Post by maplewoman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:49 pm

You guys are so right it does start with us. Thank you for your replies It has helped me to understand better.

EarlofLeicester

Re: Going To Moon...Or Mars...

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Here Again wrote:Only when we have Perfected Ourselves/Our Country/ Our Planet should we Even Think we can do something Positive on Another Planet/Country/Person.
We are never going to perfect ourselves.  Not as a society or species as a whole.  Has never happened and probably never will.  But I still insist that future colonization (Mars is better than the Moon for this purpose because of better raw materials and lower delta-v's) will benefit the human species, as a whole, because it will introduce a frontier, something that has been lacking for the species for a hundred plus years.  Without the frontier, the challenge, society (i.e. governments, businesses, those institutions - like it or not - that shape the world and our lives) becomes content, but that lasts for a short time only.  Then there is short sightedness and short term greed (the time period we are living in now).  It is naive to think that a humanity that has conquered the globe will turn its attention to fixing its problems.  I wish.  More likely that there will be increased pressure on the world citizens to be more productive as population rises and natural resources diminish.  The legacy the powers that will be will leave for our children and children's children is a worn out, pollutes world, raped of all its natural resources.  Colonizing another world may not be the only answer but it is the most realistic solution I have heard theorized because the powers that be have shown no capacity or desire to address the world we are living on.

Opinions?

Here Again

Foray Into Space...

Post by Here Again » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:55 pm

:smt045 I can be a real Pollyanna sometimes, very Idealistic...don't get me wrong...I am all for Exploration and Pioneering, I just believe that once any Planet is safely up and running, "The Powers that Be" will most likely Abandon Ship...The PTB (Powers...) will have Really Detached from The People...and then... :smt010 What about US????

I'm Sure the PTB will just continue on its Whole Phallic Linear Journey Straight Ahead... :smt068

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:39 pm

My faith in the PTB is extremely limited, believe me.  The methods that give them the opportunity (even if unintentional) that best provides for the human race is the best course.  We get benefits as a side result of some process; we are never the main focus.  Hence my logic; let humanity prosper in additional frontiers and we will reap some benefit.  The PTB will never direct there attention toward us.

Here Again

Long Live the PTB...yay(grumble)

Post by Here Again » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:49 pm

:smt012
I suppose you're right on that...we'll all just have to settle for picking up the crumbs of whatever the PTB doesn't eat!
:smt002
Besides, we can whip up something really yummy with those crumbs!

Some of the crumbs led to some really great stuff!

I want to live on Venus!!! Oh Morning Star, here I come!

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Venus (currently) is very inhospitable.  Atmospheric pressure about 70 times that of Earth (like 1000 psi) and greenhouse effect to the max (about 600+ degrees Farenheit).  Trust me on this, Mars is the most hospitable planet after Earth.

mcclenning1

back to the moon

Post by mcclenning1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:45 am

You need to look at the whole picture and not focus on one little, yes I said little part of the picture. First of all, if the shuttle is burning up our ozone layer then what are the hundreds of meteorites burning through our atmosphere on a daily bases doing? oh, lets not forget CFCs (chloral floral carbons) or HCFCs (hydro chloral floral carbons) which are sending the deadly chlorine molecule to our ozone layer destroying two to three ozone molecules with every chlorine molecule. And with that, what about every ones swimming pools which have chlorine evaporation every day. Also you need to check your facts on air pollution, Our air is actually cleaner today then it was 50 years ago. The two problems that we really have today are water pollution and over population. Sure we have many other smaller problems with our earth but those two are our biggest. I know, your going to say what about Global warming right? well there is no actual evidence from anyone that it even exists except from the tree hugger groups like Greenpeace etc. and there so called facts cannot be proven except by THEIR bias experts. There are to many other things in life to worry about. GET OVER IT.

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 am

Either way the population of the earth is going to reach over the 6 billion mark and we are going to have to start thinking about moving into space and other regions of space or we will have too many people to feed on this planet. I am in agreement to move to space and if i was younger I would probly volenteer to go.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:58 am

Hey, someone who agrees with me.  Cool!  Thanks Tassadar!

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 pm

EarlofLeicester wrote:Hey, someone who agrees with me.  Cool!  Thanks Tassadar!
Who disagreed with u in the first place Earl?? We all agree to what you say.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:23 pm

Some people earlier in this thread feel differently about potential space colonization, that's all.

Return to “General Discussion”