The Power of Positive Thinking

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

jfgg01

The Power of Positive Thinking

Post by jfgg01 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Positive and negative thinking are both contagious. All of us affect, in one way or another, the people we meet. This happens instinctively and on a subconscious level, through thoughts and feelings transference and through body language. People sense our aura and are affected by our thoughts. Is it any wonder that we want to be around positive persons and shun negative ones? People are more disposed to help us if we are positive. They dislike and avoid anyone broadcasting negativity.

Negative thoughts, words and attitude bring up negative and unhappy moods and actions. When the mind is negative, poisons are released into the blood, which cause more unhappiness and negativity. This is the way to failure, frustration and disappointment.

Read about this subject, think about its benefits and persuade yourself to try it. The power of thoughts is a mighty power that is always shaping our life. This shaping is usually done subconsciously, but it is possible to make the process a conscious one. Even if the idea seems strange give it a try, as you have nothing to lose, but only to gain. Ignore what others might say or think about you, if they discover that you are changing the way you think.

Always visualize only favorable and beneficial situations. Use positive words in your inner dialogues or when talking with others. Smile a little more, as this helps to think positively. Disregard any feelings of laziness or a desire to quit. If you persevere, you will transform the way your mind thinks.

Once a negative thought enters your mind, you have to be aware of it and endeavor to replace it with a constructive one. The negative thought will try again to enter your mind, and then you have to replace it again with a positive one. It is as if there are two pictures in front of you, and you choose to look at one of them and disregard the other. Persistence will eventually teach your mind to think positively and ignore negative thoughts.

In case you feel any inner resistance when replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, do not give up, but keep looking only at the beneficial, good and happy thoughts in your mind.

It does not matter what your circumstances are at the present moment. Think positively, expect only favorable results and situations, and circumstances will change accordingly. It may take some time for the changes to take place, but eventually they do.
Incluso en lo mas obscura de las noches, es posible encontrar algo de luz.

Dreams & Reality

Good advice

Post by Dreams & Reality » Mon May 14, 2007 9:12 pm

I will truly try to implement this.  Thank you.
Best
Dreams & Reality.
Best wishes to all
From Dreams & Reality

BamaMystic

Post by BamaMystic » Tue May 15, 2007 3:12 am

that so so true ;)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Tue May 15, 2007 4:46 am

thanks for the tip:)
its true.. i have been trying to do it since a long time and many people on this board have helped:)
but it is really overpowering to do away with negative thoughts right?the start is the main problem:)

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Tue May 15, 2007 5:35 am

Hi swetha! And jf thankyou for posting this.

It's so much easier to hang onto negative energies when you are surrounded by so many of them. Other people's thoughts, feelings, life in general, the worries that accompany it, it can be hard to just keep the positive and discard the rest and give back some positive energy of your own. It's like the old saying, it takes more muscles to smile than it does to frown.

Anyway, I've learned to visualize when I start getting stressed out, worried, the negativity I'm feeling, possibly projecting and make an effort to stop, look at the situation and ask myself "What caused this? What can I do to change this? How can I change this?" and I remind myself to remain calm, know that a negative reaction is only going to invite another negative reaction, I picture the problem, put it in an imaginary box or sometimes it resembles an object and throw it away (let it go) keeping in mind I need to deal with whatever it is calmly, rationally and when I'm not steamed or upset so I can see it more clearly. By the time I am done with this mental exercise, I am usually calm, and able to feel positive again by thinking of something that makes me happy and address whatever it is I need to tend to. It helps, not always, but for the most part since I have learned to do this it has helped me a great deal . It's something I hope to master within myself (it's not foolproof yet - but hope springs eternal!) because that inner peace is so important to me :smt002

I hope that idea of using visualization can give others some ideas and help someone who may not know how to let it go.

Off to bed, g'night!

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu May 17, 2007 4:13 am

Angelique what u say is so true.. i try to do it myself.. but inspite of everything ... how much ever i try... i feel so let down and weak at times...with no desire to go on! i know i m not the kinds to mope about the bad things.. but that streak of wanting  to get out of it just happens to go away in a few seconds... i am still working on it.. but not doing a great job i must say! but something is better than nothing! but still not gud enuf:)

triggersad

Thanks.

Post by triggersad » Thu May 17, 2007 9:35 am

This helps a lot.

I've encountered a lot of negative people in my life.

I've been reading up on this new ''positive thinking thing'' :-P

I'm giving it a go.

It's the only thing to do, ya know? :-)
♥

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu May 17, 2007 10:46 am

At times like this it is a good idea to try and find something that helps. Perhaps an essential oil, a little bottle of Ylang Ylang or Tangerine or Mandarin, something uplifting and soothing  that you like the smell of, carry it with you and perhaps dab some on a tissue or a tiny drop on the back of your hand and inhale the scent deeply, deep breathing will help us to control emotions and feelings. Do you have Bach flower remedies? Or Rescue Remedy? Those too can help, or an anti-stress stone, a tumblestone that you can carry around that will give you a little extra help.

One thing we have to remember is to understand that some things are out of our hands and not to beat ourselves up with blame and guilt, but allow others to take their share of the responsibility.

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference
Attachments
serenityprayer.jpg
serenityprayer.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 2582 times

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu May 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Yes, and the power to let go.
God bless, J

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Thu May 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Angelique what u say is so true.. i try to do it myself.. but inspite of everything ... how much ever i try... i feel so let down and weak at times...with no desire to go on! i know i m not the kinds to mope about the bad things.. but that streak of wanting  to get out of it just happens to go away in a few seconds... i am still working on it.. but not doing a great job i must say! but something is better than nothing! but still not gud enuf:)

Hi swetha :)

It's not easy, especially if a person is sensitive and tenacious. The best thing of this all is you are AWARE of it, which is the first step. The rest is just finding what works for you to help you let it go and remembering to implement it when you need it. And Gem is right, the Serenity Prayer works wonders; I've been reciting it since I was a kid and understanding every word of it but I could never figure out what worked for me. Visualizing objects and boxes and then throwing it out the door works for me. Everyone is different and you'll find what works for you too, it just takes time and practice.

I have this urge to give you a hug, so here is a BIG HUG from me

Keep smiling.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu May 17, 2007 4:10 pm

thanks guys:)
cud do with the hug...and one back to u too.
these are times i am glad that i have MB and u all around:)
swetha

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm

How about not thinking at all, is that the same as negative thinking.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Thu May 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Samson wrote:How about not thinking at all, is that the same as negative thinking.
No, I personally think it's worse. It means you've grown despondent. I'd rather feel the pain or the pleasure than not feel anything at all.

neilcamp

THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING

Post by neilcamp » Thu May 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I believe in this very strongly, but I have one question to ask. There are times when suggestions are made in say a meeting of several people. I can see immediately that there are cogent reasons why the suggestion won't work, and I say so. This has led some people to say that I am so negative, when in my mind I am only being realistic. When does realistic thinking turn into negative thinking? Perhaps I need to be more optimistic, as I have been trying to do for some time now, but I can't help feeling that to ignore my inner feelings regarding probable outcomes will not be helpful in the end result, even if this does involve appearing to be a prophet of doom (exaggerated!). Perhaps I need to spend more time concentrating on positive issues and then maybe I will find the answers to some of the negative issues.
I do know that active visualisation (I have read Shakti Gawain's book 'Creative Visualisation' many times and often refer to it) and constant repetitive thinking in the conscious will bring about the desired end result through the subconscious - whether positive or negative. This has worked on the positive side for me on more than one occasion.
This is an interesting subject, and I look forward to reading more posts.
A friend is one with whom you dare to be yourself.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Fri May 18, 2007 2:58 am

Hi Neil, I'm an analytical expressive and my mind works quickly analyzing everything, scenarios, possible outcomes, my brain is like a computer. If I see obstacles, problems or that it's going to fail, I say it exactly how I see it and I don't hold back.  I don't care what anyone in the meeting thinks of me, what I think could potentially go wrong, I am opening my mouth because it's what I get paid to do and it's why I was invited to the meeting, to give input.  That's the purpose of a meeting, it's a think-tank. The spin on this is not putting a kabash on the idea, but to present the potential problems you see as questions. Then ask what steps have been or need to be taken to prevent these issues or put these fires out quickly to get the job done, or should we look think of a different way of doing this for the sake of damage control. Then offer up some ideas if you have some. That's a pro-active way, and a positive spin on disagreeing in a meeting with something you see might fail.

It's not negativity, it's seeing things you think could be hazardous to the project taking place. It's all about the way you present it that gets their attention.

Return to “General Discussion”