How Does Music Affect You?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Castitatis Lilium

Post by Castitatis Lilium » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:30 pm

I can't live without music. I have to ride about 2-3 hours a day, by bike, so some extra additoinal music is very welcome. :)

AddleHeart

Post by AddleHeart » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:20 am

It is pretty much my life. I know everyone saids that but I have been listening to music since I was a tike and has always been my truest form of escapism and I have been writing music for 6 years and play many hours a day to escape being me.

magpie

Post by magpie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:26 pm

i've always enjoyed alternative rock ... and then i go sentimental over ballads... they make me think about a lot of things happening currently.

but music empowers me most when i sing... i just forget everything else that worries me.

animo

How does music affect you

Post by animo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:06 am

I have an eclectic musical taste - which means any song that takes my fancy is what I will listen too.
My tastes / preferences however ranges from jazz to baroque, classical and operatic arias, and has always been part of my musical mix.  As strange as it may sound, there was a time when I was young and beautiful, alas, now I am only beautiful.  Then my musical tastes included The Beatles, Grand Funk Railroad, Black Sabbath, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Bloodstone, El Chicano, never ever The Rolling Stones or Elvis.Thirty years on from the 70's and I have mellowed.

Nowadays I prefer to allow any Baroque music to play in the background while I am working - I find it energising.  Classical and Arias I listen to when I want to relax.  Jazz any other time - while I am driving, relaxing with friends.
Weird?
Most definitely not - I prefer it like that.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:11 am

i love music.. makes me concentrate on work and builds the tempo :)

soul_wick

ohh sing to me of skies

Post by soul_wick » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:40 am

music it can lift the soul drag you through space an ocean drag you to another place another world even into your minds eye make your heart dance cry jump in fear or make you have a realization that changes your life it can also put you in a bad mood... hopefully not the last one... right now im lstening to some soft tones and am totally relaxed but exited... I love feeling music its better then just hearing it... sometimes when i hvae pent up energy esspeacially anger I listen to loud fast music I like to scream in my head with the music and tell myself it is alright to feel what I am feeling and it will pass... when I am happy and lazzy I enjoy happy upbeat most normally female voices sining about victory over certain issues problems... but almost always I want something that reflects my mood... it is not so much about lifting my mood but expressing it because I am one gal who has to go through the feeling to feel better... I love fierce music that tells a story... anything that makes me think different or one that speaks to me... to make a long story short I could not live without music... after all life goes better if you can express adequietly what you feel at least it makes it easier but then again I dont think I can comunicate just how much music means to me... as an afterthought you go to post reply and then type the message not on the one box... (i really dont know how to do foroums just thought i would mention it cause well I acidently clicked on it thinking it would post what I typed oops I thought I lost what I typed ack)

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 pm

I posted this so long ago and could never have dreamed that so many would post! This is wonderful!

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

bybybybyon

Post by bybybybyon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Yes, it doz. A piece of music or some song could really retrieve me some great memories.

Wolfshadow

Post by Wolfshadow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:10 am

It is funny that this topic is here, I was driving to school yesterday thinking about this. I came to the conclusion that music can keep a person in a kind of time-warp. Reliving the past whenever a certain song is played on the radio. Perhaps music can also make a person feel younger than they actually are because of the transportation factor of being sent back to a past time and reliving that time.

Disneyfreak

Post by Disneyfreak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm

I Listin to music alot. i like it. when i am really sad it can make me feel better.

Red Feronia

Music and energy

Post by Red Feronia » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:14 am

I've always found that music directly affects a persons - or at least my - energy levels.  It is one of the oldest form of raising energy.  Personally my musical tastes run amok from Mozart to Metallica, nearly every genre of music has something that I like.  

Being a fitness instructor, at our club all the music is set at at least 140 beats per minute - this actually creates an increased heart rate to assist our members in obtaining maximun results.  

In dance, the same is true depending on the routine long drawn out movements have a slower base beat while the frenzied bellydance has a very fast, hard beat so much so that we usually have only one or two drummers.  

As far as emotion goes, it seems that it can rise us up from sadness or bring us back down to earth.  Sound can help us to sleep, or even keep us alert.  It is something in the realm of senses that trigger responses in the body and mind.  

But that is just my two cents worth.  Great topic and excellent responses BTW.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 am

Hey Julie, its great to see your still popping in and out of the forum.  I miss your presence and serenity.  I hope your well and all is going well with you?

I was thinking today that music makes me dance and move about and that without music my life would feel a bit dull and listless.

Suzi XXX

coloratura

Post by coloratura » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, having sung since I was three, music is almost like th air I breathe. For me, it's almost like grounding in a wy because if I happen to be depressed, I will sing/play a song about others' sufferings, transfer my own sadness into the character, then afterward feel better.

BTW, for those of you on this forum who are well-versed in vocal technique, how does your awareness of psychic abilities or spirit guides etc. affect your songwriting/singing? In other words, have your spirit guides ever been muses of sorts or helped you with a technical issue in terms of singing?

zooey

Post by zooey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 pm

music definitely raises my energy levels.  There is nothing like music to completely lift my mood and give me a new lease on life.  I must have worked with music or something in my past life because I truly feel like it is my best friend sometimes.

MysticKristy

Post by MysticKristy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Music does a lot for me. I listen to many different styles of music. Of course I have my favorite type but I have a wide variety that I listen to for different reasons other than just listening. ;)

Heavy Metal calms me down. If I am mad or angry, listening to the harder stuff helps me to filter my anger.

Classical relaxes me. I normally listen to classical when sleeping. We also have it playing softly in the background while eating.

New age or environmental helps to open my mind and allow energies to flow more freely. I listen to while meditating and also while sleeping.

Rap/Hip Hop helps me to exercise. I don't listen to this often as there are only a handful of artists that I really like...lol.

I think that's about it...lol

Return to “General Discussion”