What is spirituality?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

vahte

What is spirituality?

Post by vahte » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Just want to know what is spirituality? This is one of the definitions i got when i googled it.

"A common meaning is "devotion to metaphysical matters, as opposed to worldly things." Another is "Activities which renew, lift up, comfort, heal and inspire both ourselves and those with whom we interact."

what does spirituality mean to you. How do u achieve it?

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:27 pm

let me see... i wud say...it must b understanding urself and being at peace with each other.
swetha

spiritalk

Spirituality

Post by spiritalk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:18 pm

is an urge within the human being for 'more' that the world and universe contain.  It can relate to psychic, metaphysical, and/or other paranormal activities.  But you can be very spiritual without any reference whatsoever to the paranormal.  

This is a totally separate and unique journey all its own.  You can be psychic without being spiritual.  Just as you can be spiritual without being psychic.

Spirituality is when we find that peace within ourselves that balances, empowers, strengthens and generally progresses the soul in awareness of a world of spirit.  The spiritual approach is based on what is right in consciousness.  It is justice, it is balance and most of all it is love.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:45 pm

i just came across this thread and this was the question i had asked someone just yest!

pranay

Post by pranay » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 am

Spirituality is when we find that peace within ourselves that balances, empowers, strengthens and generally progresses the soul in awareness of a world of spirit.  The spiritual approach is based on what is right in consciousness.  It is justice, it is balance and most of all it is love.
I completely agree with this view....but i still wonder how to achieve spirituality....

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:20 am

Yes, how do we achieve this??

Samson

Post by Samson » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:23 am

Please show me too.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:26 pm

We begin with self-evaluation and realize how we approach life.  We can decide if and how we choose to change ourselves.  (No one else can do that for us...we have personal responsibility for our lives!)  We have the tools of our own consciousness (visualization, meditation, affirmation) to empower, strengthen and change any part of ourselves.  That is the beginning of the journey of self-awareness in spirituality.

All of these exercises will help our personal living and have nothing to do with the psychic abilities.  When we are ready to go into meditation for attunement purposes we will find the psychic opening and expanding onto those level of our being.

pranay

Post by pranay » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:01 am

ive tried meditating a lot but i just cant clear my mind out......some or the other thoughts keep on floating arnd....

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:01 am

Pranay try to do self hypnosis it's not really the same as meditation but it can help and it's not hard to do.

pranay

Post by pranay » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:05 pm

how do i do self hypnosis?

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Pranay, I'll have to get back to you on this, I need to find the information that you need to use.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:14 pm

Hypnosis is not the best approach.  Let's see what meditation is....
Meditation is NOT about stopping the mind (that only happens on death) so the actual definition of the word is...To Think Upon!  In which case, the action we are attempting is to re-direct the mind in a conscious manner.  We are not sitting there like a bump on a log, we are active in the process.

Choosing a quiet, slightly darkened room where you will not be disturbed for 10-20 minutes (the longest anyone should meditation...the rest only results in a headache by trying to concentrate) sitting in a comfortable chair...lying down may produce sleep which is not the object.  Keep the spine straight and do some visualization of flow exercises if you are a visual person.  Soft music is a good calm source for use.

To redirect the mind, we must give it something to do.  It can be visual if you are a visual person, it can be sound if you are an audio person, or it can be movement if that is conducive to rethinking in a peaceful manner!  All methods are valid and worthy...find your own for best results.

To begin any meditation we need to take our mind from the constant chatter of the conscious mind.  To do this we quiet our body with a little deep breathing.  Breathing into the diaphram as we did as children, allows the body to relax.  It does not have to be hard or harsh...just gentle, conscious breathing into the diaphram.  My music teacher suggested seeing the diaphram as a balloon you are filling and pressing it releases air into the lungs and can form a note by its pressure (there is a good spiritual lesson in that).

To meditate for peace consider....see a beach in your mind's eye...water lapping on the ebb and flow...white sand, warmed by the sun to sit upon and/or walk.  As you attune to the ebb and flow your body is released of tension and you are at peace at a very deep level.  Enter the water to cool off, enjoy how the water goes over, around and through your whole body.  Relax on the beach to dry off and warm up, before returning to normal consciousness.

Perhaps the reason this works is...we are a large part water in our makeup.  

There are exercises to contact the spirit within for psychic mediumship work that would be a form of meditation.

To emphasize....meditation is about your own mind.  It has its thoughts and actions...you must learn how to control it for the exercise of meditation.  That is where visualization and affirmation can work to keep you grounded and at peace.  Try some of these hints and see what works in your own meditations.  Remember, we are all capable of meditation...it is about our own mind.

Samson

Post by Samson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm

You know spiritalk they say meditation isn't like hypnosis, I think there wrong because what your saying here is about the same process that I have used while using hypnosis on myself, how can they be so different, can you explain that to me.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:58 pm

It's just what you yourself call it...self hypnose or Meditation...the name itself has no signification....it's the act that manage to relex body and mind that is important, and here spiritalk told it very well :)

The way you told about your "selfhypnose" I would also call it Meditation...but why bother...the endresult are the same :) :)

Return to “General Discussion”