Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Samson

Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post by Samson » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:50 pm

I was wondering how the good people of this fine forum celebrated this time of the year, do you stay home spend it with family, go away on a holiday or just don't celebrate it.  I myself spend it with family.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:13 pm

The same we do over here.
Normaly its family dinners in the evening.
Our dish in the area I belong in, is shep ribs that have been salted and dried for about a half year.
Other places has other habits....think is from our Viking time, when the king christianize us.
He did it simpel choose Christianety or die.
When we shall eat it..we water it overnight, then "steam cook" it on a "bed " of birch sticks for about 3-4 hours.
To the disch we have much potatos and vegetables.
It's a heavy dish...so I only eat it once a year..

Many of you have the 25 of desember to give the gifts...we have the 24't.
From about 3 weeks before the big evening we have a "big" pine tree in the leaving room with all the present under it.
All get their present in the evening when the dinner is finish and the coffee have been served :)
Ohhh....good it's a year between them :)

Nicole

Re: Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post by Nicole » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Samson wrote:I was wondering how the good people of this fine forum celebrated this time of the year, do you stay home spend it with family, go away on a holiday or just don't celebrate it.  I myself spend it with family.
I use to be with Family.. Now I spend it at home.. It's not the same since my French grandmother past away.. My so called step mom, thinks she took it over after she left... Just not the same.. So I stay home now, better off..  :)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:33 am

wow.. preparation for a dinner from 6 mths in advance...thats something:))

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 am

swetha wrote:wow.. preparation for a dinner from 6 mths in advance...thats something:))
Swetha It can be a wonderful things. Just being with friends and family.. The hole things about buying gifs is so out of hand now... It use to be simple.. But in the USA, it's a high demand to get gifs for kids, aunts, uncles, mother, father, friends, You name it.. ppl use credit cards for this time of year and go into dete.. It's sad... I like it simple.. Buy for our son, he never asks for nothing. and it's games for his GameCube, or books.. I don't go out and buy for everyone. It's nuts~!! LOL but that's me.. There is more to it then that.. I wont go gun hoo about it here..

ollieowl

Re: Christmas, how do you celebrate it?

Post by ollieowl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:45 am

Samson wrote:I was wondering how the good people of this fine forum celebrated this time of the year, do you stay home spend it with family, go away on a holiday or just don't celebrate it.  I myself spend it with family.

to me it's just another Day "boring I know"

:smt015

Samson

Post by Samson » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:01 am

No it's not boring Ollieowl, that's the way you want to spend it, not everybody celebrates the day.

ollieowl

Post by ollieowl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:14 am

true but I am still a bit boring even to me

Samson

Post by Samson » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:27 am

How can you say that about yourself, your life must be more meaningful than that.

pranay

Post by pranay » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Speaking of christams, there is really nice christmas-forum im a member of!

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 pm

I have never celebrated it, it was always just another day for us, but we had holidays. Later we did celebrate in school in my seventh year, but changed schools after that & never celebrated it again.

But would like to feel the christmas spirit, I think it is something very good & have never felt anything like that usually so would like to feel that once.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:23 pm

Vishwas wrote:I have never celebrated it, it was always just another day for us, but we had holidays. Later we did celebrate in school in my seventh year, but changed schools after that & never celebrated it again.

But would like to feel the christmas spirit, I think it is something very good & have never felt anything like that usually so would like to feel that once.
To me, it's magical day.. I love riding around and seeing ppl's houses all decked up for the holidays.. Christmas is just beautiful~!! with the snow covering the grounds and homes with lights, very pretty and Awww and Hooooo's...lol  :smt003 I set our Christmas tree up on Thanksgiving day... ROFL.... I keep it up until New Years Day~!! My husband by then wants to take everything down the day after Christmas...LOL

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:50 pm

There have always been family dinners.  I have to admit it was never the same after my dad passed away.  Now my sister (the one who liked to fuss) my mom are also gone.  There is and always has been more stress than joy in this family activity.

I love the songs of Christmas, I love the colours and lights.  Even the snow looks pretty on the homes.  But it all seems to get lost to our stress with family.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:57 pm

spiritalk wrote:There have always been family dinners.  I have to admit it was never the same after my dad passed away.  Now my sister (the one who liked to fuss) my mom are also gone.  There is and always has been more stress than joy in this family activity.

I love the songs of Christmas, I love the colours and lights.  Even the snow looks pretty on the homes.  But it all seems to get lost to our stress with family.
I hear yeah sister.. Boy Don't I know that also... I enjoy seeing my mom, and having it at home with my husband and son now... I want to try something new this year.. Take our fake tree and ride off and find a neat place to stay for Christmas.. like a log cabin.. We use to stay at the Beach in Dec, winter time here, For his Birthday we would rent a Hotel room and have his birthday there, and go out to eat.. Next morning watch the sunrise and have fun on the beach.... Crazy but it's fun for us... For our son, makes him giggle and run and laugh.. Works for me~!!  :smt003

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:44 pm

I kind of ran away a few years at Christmas trying to find the peace...but it felt like running away to me, not a good holiday.  Guess I can't win for losing!  LOL  My children are a joy, but at present are at odds with one another...how to keep the peace and be there for all of them?  

At this time of year, the Christmas thing starts to rear its head and we start to make up our minds what to do?  Unfortunately it means, for me, going in circles at present...til some resolution to other issues comes in.

God bless,J

Return to “General Discussion”