How Does Music Affect You?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

JewelOfTheSouth

How Does Music Affect You?

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm

I have always thought that music is a universal languange, and that music can also trigger good times and bad. I've had this happen over and over again. When I am in certain moods I listen to certain music. I would like to know how music affects you and what types of music do you listen to in different moods. This should be an interesting conversation.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie
The Universe Always Keeps Her balance. Lady Karma always shines through the darkness....

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Music triggers different responses in each of us - some like it smooth, some like it soft, some like it hard, etc.  - all music triggers a response - each different to the uniqueness of each of us in body, mind, spirit.
God bless, J

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi Spiritalk,

That's absolutely correct! Music can have a soothing affect, or it can trigger memories that are not so pleasant. You can be driving down the road, and a certain song plays that reminds you of a very hard time in your life, there will be a very emotional response. Also, a song that you associate with a rich, happy time can play and it makes you smile. We use the process of association for so many things, and music by far is one of the biggest. The law of association applies to many things in each of our lives, but music is really as I said, quite a big one. I hope more members will come and share here as well.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie
The Universe Always Keeps Her balance. Lady Karma always shines through the darkness....

soul_flower

Post by soul_flower » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Well i have been listening to an album by MGMT for days now..I do that,when i hear a song i will over do it till i cant stand it...Then move onto another cd and so on.....I have been a little down and that cd makes me a little happier....Music is a huge part of my life because i always have it on.....Its funny i can be doing something and then a song comes on and reminds me of feelings,the past........I know when im down i will actually put sad music on...Dont know why i do that,perhaps it helps me get it all out,which i need to do........When i feel stressed i play my native american indian cd's,that relax's me and i can get lost in it.....I have different music to lift me out of moods or help me stay in them.......I like to put music on and just day-dream...And i think thats good for me as sometimes i live in the past and it helps me create the future i want and deserve...Keeps me positive and in a good frame of mind.,,,And when i do my workouts every day the music has to have a great beat or i just dont get into as good.

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I think many people play music according to mood. When I am sad, I play my angelic cd's. They make me feel better, not worse. There are times though that I can be playing music on my X-box and all of a sudden a song comes on I forgot about and it will literally make me cry. I have a hard time turning it off, but I make myself. The songs that do that remind me that I am suppose to be working on something. Whatever the "Sad" issue is that it brings up, I know it needs more work. I know that many people have this response too. It's simply the law of association as I said earlier.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

soul_flower

Post by soul_flower » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 pm

Oh i have never thought of it like that..You have just helped me with what you said....When music brings something up and makes one feel sad or a negative emotion....I will try to work on those issues next time....Good you said that.
~*~* May the God and Goddess within you shine*~*~

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 pm

It's all part of the law of association. Our lives are not lived in a cave and we do go through many things and a normal part of life is music. The next time you hear a certain song, try and give your full attention to the issue it brings up. Once you do that, the song will no longer bother you. I have found this to be true in my own life. I'm glad I could help!

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Ashs92lude

Post by Ashs92lude » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:44 am

Music... I like to listen to it while I am on the internet, most of the time. Pop music usually makes me feel happy like Britney spears and Madonna. :)  When I want to feel relaxed I like to listen to rap, it kind of mellows me out. Then when I am sad, feeling rebellious or looking for a different mood I listen to rock music. That's me.

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi Ash!

My son is a rap artist. He would be happy to hear that. lol
I like Madonna and many others. I love old metal and new.
However, I listen to classical music and ambiant music.
I love Enya as well as so many other types. I really like music.
I write my own songs and sing them. I have done that for
many years. I also chant. I've been doing that for years too.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Ashs92lude

Post by Ashs92lude » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Hello Julie,

Thats cool your son is a rap artist, very talented.
and thats wonderful you write your own songs and sing then. Very creative, that must be were your son got his talent. :)

Ash

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:01 pm

His father cannot sing at all. lol My son doesn't sing exactly, he raps. lol I actually sing. My younger son sings as well. My son's are 27 and 28 years old and I have 7 grandchildren, and they sing too. lol My grand daughter Angel, likes to sing, but I feel for her, she has gifts like mine. They come from my mother's side of the family. So, my little Miss Angel see's things she is not so sure of and hears them. She is the eldest daughter of my son who raps. lol I miss them all a great deal. They are in Texas and I am in Mississippi for now. I'm a universal gypsy. I go where I am supposed to be, when I get the green light to do so. Not much fun though. lol My son has a my space page and he promotes himself there and in the clubs and so on. He is working on a Cd at present.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Lizzy

how does music effect you

Post by Lizzy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:15 am

I have had a hard time listening to music of any kind in the last year, as I feel things very deeply and never know what will set me off.  I love classical and hip-hop, as well as rock and dance.  I used to sing with the Sweet Adelines and miss it alot.  anyone else like to sing ? if so , what kind of songs ?
There are things that are known and things that are unknown and Inbetween there are doors...

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:48 am

I like to sing songs by "Heart" and other bands. Lizzy, things will get better. Give it some time hun.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Ashs92lude

Post by Ashs92lude » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Hello Julie,

Wow you have a a very talented family. How lucky. What name does your son go by?

Ash

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 am

Hi Ash!

He goes by Wolf: Aka Tha Angel Of Pain. YOu can find him on my space in the music section. He's under crunk, or something of that sort.

I know, strange name. lol

Gentle Hugs,

Julie

Return to “General Discussion”