What's in a name?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

What's in a name?

Post by swetha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:27 am

Hey,
just wanted to know how you guys felt about your name?
is it  just an identification? or does it mean everything about u?
how much importance would you give to it?

also what about your surname or last name?
how important is your name in your life?

a few months ago.. I had got into a major argument becoz of my last name or husband's family name and it got me thinking. :smt003

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm adopted and when I'm being good - I'm Stuart (my adopted name) but when the other guy comes out to play I'm Michael.
It's really grea having the choice of to completely different names - but numerologists would have a field day with it.

LittleSalt

Post by LittleSalt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm

i myself find that a name is important , and say alot about who we are. as a married name i feel it is only an extention of who are. i didnt have these thoughts 1 years ago when i married, but not , today, i feel it would have been much better for myself if i had kept my maiden name and added the married name. i have no regrets or anything, but iam having experiences that bring connections and understandings to my names. for instance.... i was born "crystal" and after my first vision quest was givin the name littlesalt. that vision quest was about 6 yrs ago, it took me about 2 years to get a little understanding to that name. and now in the last 3 weeks i have come to understandings that connect crystal and littlesalt. i think it a vibration in our names, and i believe that the virbation in the name used, creates/changes  energy. just my feelings on it.

hope you are having a wonderful day !

Blessings
LittleSalt

LittleSalt

Post by LittleSalt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:08 pm

oops the is suppose to say 16 yrs that i have been married, lol

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:31 pm

I think that's a sweet mistake - only feels like a year? wow.

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey,
I feel very strongly about names, mine fits me perfectly and when I have had a look at numerology, wow with my name, my second name and my last name all taken into account. Scary Scary stuff - in a very good way of course ;)
I must say I am not sure about the last name...ever since I was a child I have always been very keen to keep my last name.
It feels apart of me. I don't know if I could give it up... Hope that when or if I do get married that the SO will be understanding. lol :)

kalimullah_3

About Name

Post by kalimullah_3 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 am

I don’t agree with Shakespeare “What is in name”. But certain names are appears to be pleasant, and others are bearing or prosaic. My name is Kalimullah and nick name is Mullah (Which is given by my Quran teacher in childhood, As learn everything by heart what she teach me, although I am very different from traditional Mullahs(Talban).
But If I reborn, I will keep my name and my nick name as it is.

Nyteshadecreed

Post by Nyteshadecreed » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am

This is a very interesting topic, as I feel the name that my family calls me by, or my given name, is only a small part of the person who I am. I then have my name that all my friends call me, and the part of who that is... and then I have a very few select friends that call me Nyte, and that is the side of me that seems more of the whole me.

Like the other two names kinda blended together or something. I think a name is a important and power part of who we identify ourselves as. *shrugs* but that is just how I see it.

My last name is part of who I am, and who my family is. (I am not married) Although, D and I have picked out a last name to have when we get married that is who we will be together. It is not a blend of our current last names or anything, it is completely different, but a choice we came to on our own.

Anyways that is my 2 cents, thanks for the swell topic Swetha. *hugz*

Nyte

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Nyteshadecreed wrote:This is a very interesting topic, as I feel the name that my family calls me by, or my given name, is only a small part of the person who I am. I then have my name that all my friends call me, and the part of who that is... and then I have a very few select friends that call me Nyte, and that is the side of me that seems more of the whole me.
I agree with you here,
there is another thought that could be discussed and that is: well a name is like a label, it can be a little too binding...it can fall prey to all the things that a label can...

I remember there was a stage in my spiritual development when I had to loose the 'I' and make it always 'us', 'we' etc, never refer to the individual 'I', but always refer to the collective as you are the collective.

It worked well for awhile but something was a little off... so through a process of many things I got my 'I' back and I must say that I am happier for it. Even though I am very very aware that the I is not as Nb as the we...

:smt005 me and my stories...

Edit -> After I read my last sentence I got a hesitation. No. I don't necessarily agree with what I just wrote...
I actually DO think that the I is extremely NB.
*sigh* now I don't know...not sure how the 2 concepts fit in like the concept of the collective and the concept of importance of individuality.
Does it just come down to the well work on yourself and be yourself to the best of you and hence you are in actual fact affecting the collective? That whole thing?
Your guys thoughts?
Last edited by RoseRed on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tearlyn

Post by Tearlyn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:49 pm

I have my name Tearlyn since i was 14. It's very very personal, and the only name that full include 'me' as whole beeing.
I have a few others, also, but this is the most closest to me together with 'The Obscurialist'.

Nyteshadecreed

Post by Nyteshadecreed » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 pm

RoseRed wrote: It worked well for awhile but something was a little off... so through a process of many things I got my 'I' back and I must say that I am happier for it. Even though I am very very aware that the I is not as Nb as the we...

:smt005 me and my stories...

Edit -> After I read my last sentence I got a hesitation. No. I don't necessarily agree with what I just wrote...
I actually DO think that the I is extremely NB.
*sigh* now I don't know...not sure how the 2 concepts fit in like the concept of the collective and the concept of importance of individuality.
Does it just come down to the well work on yourself and be yourself to the best of you and hence you are in actual fact affecting the collective? That whole thing?
Your guys thoughts?
*smilies* I know that you did quiet express this in the way that you wanted to, but totally get you on this one... lol I am stubborn and would never give up my I, but If you note the signature in my posts, it is wandering in the darkness, but never alone...  I am never alone, even though I might be the only person physically in my house... *smile* it makes for interesting conversations and life, I think anyways... Gotten to the point currently where D is starting to talk to the others here too... Lmao, he seems a bit hesitant when he does it and mine is more like fussing at a way ward pet, or child, just comes out without much thought about who is here and what else is going on... *smilies* I don't entertain at my own house much... lol I try not to have people over... *smilies* I like to GO instead of stay home anymore. *shrugs* YOu asked for thoughts on it... there you go. *hugz for Rose*

Nyte

katkat76

Post by katkat76 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I can relate to the meaning of my name and gain more confidence I don't know the meaning of my last name how would i find out?

Katauon Niaki

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 pm

My name has changed over the years due to marriage and my first name being shortened.  My name is different to different people such as my professional name, my name that my family call me and the name my friends call me.  There is also all the bad names people call me who don't like me (lol).  All my names suit the facets of my life that they represent and all together they represent the sum total of who I am.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:47 pm

yep.. I get you.. even I have different names..one for office one at home.. don't you suffer from an identity crisis? sometimes I do not respond at all...since I forget I am the one being called!

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 pm

I used to get upset that I wasn't me I was just a label like mum, nurse, daughter, friend and that I didn't have a clue who I was anymore but I have got over that and just realise that sometimes its good to belong to a group and its great to be called mum, daughter, friend, nurse etc.

Return to “General Discussion”