Success?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

Success?

Post by swetha » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:07 pm

How would you define success? I just heard someone tell me that he is "successful" in life :) And I have been thinking since then what does it mean to people?

Your opinions...

AyeCantSeeYou

Post by AyeCantSeeYou » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:25 am

Each person defines success differently for different areas of their life. I know I'm successful at anything I do when I feel good about myself afterwards. If I have doubts about anything, then I didn't succed.

youmaynotknowfornow

hmm

Post by youmaynotknowfornow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:13 am

succes to me is just whenever i feel accomplished
who needs a signature... only weirdos have them.. which explains this

akashasmiles

Post by akashasmiles » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:41 pm

To me success in life means you are a productive member of society not just a bystander. You are making a difference outside your own circle, and have love in your heart!

Charlesman

Post by Charlesman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Success to me is when I am the last person left alive and everyone else is dead.

But when I'm not playing computer games online, I guess it comes down to achieving goals set while following my heart. In other words: the ultimate success would be to complete my lifes "task". Beyond that, it's achieving my goals.
☼

quietness

Post by quietness » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:26 am

LoL @ Charlesman's comment :D When I read your comment I thought "where did you learn that, computer games?" Turned out it was exactly right. ;p

Anyways, I believe success is attained if you make a good difference, being a good example, in this world and changing it for the better. Does that define the person who told you he's successful? :)
"Be the masterpiece of your own life."

ConfusedMind

Post by ConfusedMind » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 am

i came across a very interesting quote telling what success is. i liked it, though it does not match with my idea of success.

"success is how high you bounce after you fall."  

my idea of success is very simple. you try to do something. you do it. you are successful. you can't do it. you are not successful.

you are successful when you have nothing to lose.
I'm weird

quietness

Post by quietness » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:43 am

Hmm, I guess it is pretty simple, but then that also means everyone is successful. :D

sweet doll

Post by sweet doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 am

success---i came across the true meaning of success.it is described below

The term ‘success’ is highly misinterpreted and misused by many. Success is a relative term and depends on one’s perception! What may be considered as failure by you may be considered as success by the other person and vice-versa!
for ex:-Verghese Kurien, fondly called as the "Milkman of India",wanted to become a mechanical engineer, but ended up in dairy farming. Today, he is widely renowned and highly regarded as the ’Father of White Revolution’ in India, and also one who brought India on the global map in milk production.
John Grisham, a lawyer by profession, gained more popularity as an author than as a lawyer.are they considered as successful or not?what is your opinion about it?

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 pm

This reminded me of when the inventor Edison said there were no failures, only experiences on the way to success.  (paraphrased)
God bless, J

quietness

Post by quietness » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 am

I think the problem is that people have a definite definition of what "success" means, and that is if a person has a lot of money then he is successful. Grisham and Kurien may be a success in the eyes of people but if they feel as if they did not use their full potential they might think that they are failures. The same thing with many people who earn a lot of money through work. Their neighbors and other outsiders might say they are successful, but they may actually feel that they should be doing something else.

I agree with Spiritalk. And I'd also like to add that failure is when you stop trying.

Subho

Post by Subho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Success? No idea, never achieved it. So quotes are the only option. I find one quote very funny, though foolish.

"Success is relative - the more success, the more relatives."
:)

srimathi29

SUCCESS

Post by srimathi29 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs,but how high he bounces when he hits the bottom.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:43 am

very well said srimathi :) You should feel good by it in the first place above all!

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:43 pm

I suppose that the concept of success is conformity to a meaning-making story, of one's own choosing, about one's life.

My meaning-making story of choice is that my life is meaningful to the extent that it furthers the continued development of humanity. It may be the case that it is impossible to do otherwise, but it is easy enough to believe that we aren't having an effect. Since this definition of success allows for degrees, my story further stipulates that I enjoy the process by developing my skill set and pursue my avocational passions. I take my passion compass as an indicator of maximum impact as well as maximum joy.

Return to “General Discussion”