SPIRTUAL STORIES

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 am

Here is a link where one get to read spirtual stories. A very interesting site

http://www.spiritual-short-stories.com/ ... ories.html

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 9:54 am

The Elephant and the Fly
By Remez Sasson

A disciple and his teacher were walking through the forest. The disciple was disturbed by the fact that his mind was in constant unrest.

He asked his teacher: "Why most people's minds are restless, and only a few possess a calm mind? What can one do to still the mind?"

The teacher looked at the disciple, smiled and said:
"I will tell you a story. An elephant was standing and picking leaves from a tree. A small fly came, flying and buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. Then the fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more".

This was repeated several times. Then the elephant asked the fly:
"Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can't you stay for a while in one place?"

The fly answered: "I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell. My five senses pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. What is your secret? How can you stay so calm and still?"

The elephant stopped eating and said:
"My five senses do not rule my attention. Whatever I do, I get immersed in it. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. In this way I can enjoy my food and chew it better. I rule and control my attention, and not the other way around."

Upon hearing these words, the disciple's eyes opened wide and a smile appeared on his face. He looked at his teacher and said:
"I understand! If my five senses are in control of my mind and attention, then my mind is in constant unrest. If I am in charge of my five senses and attention, then my mind becomes calm".

"Yes, that's right", answered the teacher, " The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention, and you control your mind".

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 am

A Fox and a Tiger
Spiritual Story by Unknown

One day a tiger was hunting around in a forest. An unlucky fox was met and caught by the tiger. For the fox, the inescapable destination was very clear -- death. Despite the danger, the fox thought hard to find a way out.

Promptly, the fox declared to the tiger, "How dare you kill me!"

On hearing the words the tiger was surprised and asked for the reason" The fox raised his voice a bit higher and declared arrogantly: "To tell you the truth, it's I who was accredited by God to the forest as the king of all the animals! If you kill me, that will be against the God's will, you know?"

Seeing that the tiger became suspicions, the fox added: "Let's have a test. Let's go through the forest. Follow me and you will see HOW THE ANIMALS ARE FRIGHTENED OF ME." The tiger agreed.

So the fox walked ahead of the tiger proudly through the forest. As you can imagine, the animals, seeing the tiger behind, were all terribly frightened and ran away. Then the fox said proudly: "There is no doubt that what I said is true, isn't it?"

The tiger had nothing to say but to acknowledge the result. So the tiger nodded and said:

"You are right. You are the king."

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 9:59 am

The Three Fish
Spiritual Story by Jalal al-Din Rumi

This is a story of the lake and the three big fish that were in it, one of them intelligent, another half-intelligent, and the third, stupid.

Some fisherman came to the edge of the lake with their nets. The three fish saw them.

The intelligent fish decided at once to leave, to make the long, difficult trip to the ocean. He thought, "I won't consult with these two on this. They will only weaken my resolve, because they love this place so. They call it home. Their ignorance will keep them here."

The wise fish saw the men and their nets and said, "I"m leaving." The half-intelligent fish thought, "My guide has gone. I ought to have gone with him, but I didn't, and now I've lost my chance to escape. I wish I'd gone with him.

He mourns the absence of his guide for a while, and then thinks, "What can I do to save myself from these men and their nets? Perhaps if I pretend to be already dead! I'll belly up on the surface and float like weeds float, just giving myself totally to the water. To die before I die."

So he did that. He bobbed up and down, helpless, within arm's reach of the fishermen.

"Look at this! The best and biggest fish is dead." One of the men lifted him by the tail, spat on him, and threw him up on the ground. He rolled over and over and slid secretly near the water, and then, back in.

Meanwhile, the third fish, the dumb one, was agitatedly jumping about, trying to escape with his agility and cleverness.

The net, of course, finally closed around him, and as he lay in the terrible frying-pan bed, he thought, "If I get out of this, I'll never live again in the limits of the lake. Next time, the ocean! I'll make the infinite my home

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 10:02 am

The Man, The Boy, and the Donkey
Spiritual Story by Unknown

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

And thus the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yoursu and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned. "That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all, and you will please none."

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 am

The Old Man
Once long ago, there lived an old man.
He had no money. He had no plan.
All that he had was a horse oh so grand
and he and his horse lived off the land.

The King offered riches for this horse oh so fine,
“I’ll give you money if you’ll make your horse mine.”
But the old man said, “My horse will not be sold,
he lives with me. He lives free and bold.”

Then one day the horse was plain gone.
“The horse had been stolen,” the townsfolk cried on.
The old man said, “Friends, don’t look so sad,
Though the horse be gone that may not be so sad.”

“You foolish old man, look what you’ve done.
You had a fine horse and now you have none.
A curse it is and a curse it will be,
you shouldn’t have let your horse wander free!”

The horse soon returned with others by its side.
There were twelve now of beauty and pride.
The townsfolk said, “Old man, you were right.
You are blessed to have horses of unearthly delight!”

“I have 12 horses, yes that is true
but that does not mean I am blessed with them too.
It is too soon to judge, who knows what will be?
Try not to make stories from the little you see.”

As it came to pass, the old man’s only son
tried riding a horse, just for fun.
Yet he broke both his legs while playing this game
and the townsfolk cried, “Oh what a shame!”

The old man said, “Friends don’t speak so soon.
You hear just one note yet you sing an entire tune.
Who’s to say what the future may hold?
My son’s legs are broken but the future lies untold.”

Soon there was war, and the young men of town
were all sent to fight and were shot down.
But the old man’s son was saved from this plight.
He had broken his legs, he was forced not to fight.

And the townfolk cried out, “Again you were right!”
But the old man replied, “Have you no sight?
Only God knows what is and will be.
To live and let live is to live and live free.”

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 10:24 am

The Barber Shop: Spiritual Story and Reflection
By Chris Cade | Spiritual Stories Blog on Oct 31, 2008 in Spiritual Stories With Chris

This spiritual story is from Spiritual-Short-Stories.com

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation and talked about so many things and various subjects. When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said: “I don’t believe that God exists.”

“Why do you say that?” asked the customer.
“Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn’t exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can’t imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things.”

The customer thought for a moment, but didn’t respond because he didn’t want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt. The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: “You know what? Barbers do not exist.”

“How can you say that?” asked the surprised barber.
“I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!”
“No!” the customer exclaimed. “Barbers don’t exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside.
“Ah, but barbers DO exist! That’s what happens when people do not come to me.”
“Exactly!” affirmed the customer. “That’s the point! God, too, DOES exist! Because people do not look to God for help is why there’s so much pain and suffering in the world.”

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 am

The apple tree
A father had two children, they were walking on a path. One child was on the shoulder of the
father and the other was holding the hand of the father. They reached a beautiful apple tree.
The child who was holding the hand of the father, let it go and rushed running to the tree. He
fell down on a stone. The father reached the tree and the other child could take the fruit easily.
Often we want to overcome God and want make our own way, so we suffer. If the child had
kept the hand of the father, the father would have given an apple to the child. If we surrender
to God, in a period of trouble, , we will overcome  all sufferings and reached the highest goal

AyeCantSeeYou

Post by AyeCantSeeYou » Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 pm

These are nice. Thank you for sharing them.

Return to “General Discussion”