the sheeple effect

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Aegeus

the sheeple effect

Post by Aegeus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:25 am

The sheeple effect is the phenomenon where humans demonstrate their herd animal tendencies even to the extent of ignoring their inner smarts and better judgment by mimicking those around them.

Horses display this behavior and it is what made it possible to charge Calvary at armed enemies, since all you need is one horse crazy enough to charge and the rest will follow by pack instinct.

The following video demonstrates who people will forgo helping another because everybody else is doing. Or give wrong answers ignoring their own sense so as not to disagree with the group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMfNGG-pTzc

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:11 am

Yes....another good way to display it is to read, or see " Lord of flies" which display our "pack instinct", and to watch the German movie "Das Expriment", which show us how easy we can develop into "beast", and also to some degree explain why it was possible for the Jail incident in Iraq.

Dionysus

Post by Dionysus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 am

But what happens to the one individual that Defiles(ignores) the herd dynamics? Is he abnormal in a way, or is he just the leader of the pack who did not yet take charge? I'm really curious, because I usually ignore what the others are doing, and keep doing what I have in mind.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:38 am

Dionysus wrote:But what happens to the one individual that Defiles(ignores) the herd dynamics?
In a way you gives approval to the one who makes injustice.

We can always say...I can't be blamed..because I did not take any stand.....but because you did not take any stand...Evil might succeed....because your voice was not heard.

We humans are flock animals, we like to be in the group that might be seen as the strongest, maybe because we are afraid to go against the power....maybe by raising your voice some other "Defiles" also get the nerve to take a stand...to evaluate....to see that this might go in wrong direction.

We have a nice saying that goes like this;

"You shall not so easy accept the unfairness done to other then yourself"

Imagine that you experience unfairness....imagine that no one care...imagine how you might feel....then imagine that when you feel unfairness you will see people around you care...they cry for justice...they make the difference for you, why should you not do the same for them? :)

Return to “General Discussion”