Need Some Advice on What To Do...

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

boba7523

Need Some Advice on What To Do...

Post by boba7523 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi guys, I have a few problems I'd like advice on.. I'm not sure where to begin but I'll try my best to keep it short. I have a girlfriend (19 y/o) who is Filipino and she has relatives living here in the United States. Because of her poor living condition in the Philipines, her relatives promised her that they will bring her over to the States in exchange for her service as a "maid." She has been here since 16 and has been doing everything for those relatives (cleaning, cooking, babysitting, etc). They lock her up in the house and prevents her from going out with friends...

Anyways, recently, they enrolled her in the Army program so they can send her off elsewhere so she doesn't have to live with them. They dislike her living there. My girlfriend initially took the offer to come to the States because she thought that coming here would be a lot happier than living in the Philippines, and that she could find a job or something to bring money home to her poor family. But now, her relatives are kicking her away because they dislike her. She doesn't want to go to the army but she has no choice. She is 19 though, which means the relatives CANNOT force her to do anything right? The thing is, her relatives has her all her immigration documents....... I'm pretty sure she came to the States under family-based immigration where they would give her a green card because her relatives are Americans. I was thinking about looking for a foster home for her (as I barely make enough myself to be able to support myself), but I heard that once you're 18, foster parents also have the right to kick you out or something? Now, how easy is it going to find some foster parent who is going to let you stay there when you're 19? Another issue is, since her relatives have her documents, this means that they could send her back to Philipines any time. So unless the relatives agree to let her stay with the foster parents (assuming I do find one), there is nothing much she can do but go to the Army, which she hates.... Once she is in the bootcamp for 2 months, she will be stationed elsewhere for several years (6+), and I will not be able to see her at all. I can't even think about how she is going to feel living through all those years doing something she completely hates...  :smt009  :smt009

I'm really out of ideas right now... And i could really use some useful advice... It's ridiculous how evil some people can be... Very scary...  :smt009

Psychzilla

Post by Psychzilla » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 am

My daughter went into the Navy ands saw the world.

YOur girlfriend can get in without a green card, done all the time, there are records the enlistment people can find. I wouldn't let her go army, I would try for Navy or Air Force. Sign up and get some school and make a better life for herself, If her family loves her, then they will know that she has to take care of herself first and you, if you love her should consider it the same way.

If you truely love someone, then you can let her go, if it was meant to be, she'll come back to you. Not letting her go is controling her destiny, that's not love!

Return to “General Discussion”