67%
Lie.
33%

Total votes: 3

Vishwas
Site Admin

Which is better? Half-truth or Lie.

Post by Vishwas » Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 am

I know that Honesty is the Best Policy & that telling the truth is always better than lies, that is my policy also.

But sometimes due to some reasons, we are not always able to tell the truth, we lie or we tell half of the truth, (that means, we say half of the story & leave the rest of the story) to save our skins, or maybe to not hurt or burden someone.

In this case, do u think it is better to lie or better to tell half of the truth. Once again remember this, that i prefer the truth & full truth over these two, & this question is valid when u cannot say the truth for some reason.

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Mon May 01, 2006 6:50 am

i prefer a lie.

half truth is as good as lie. if you ask me.

thou white lie is another issue.

valchenolf

Post by valchenolf » Mon May 01, 2006 8:37 am

there are certain things which you are unable to telll anyone, because they might hurt others or hurt you too deeply that the only way is to lie about them. I wouldn't often post examples to questions like this; however, I shall for now. Once my mum noticed that i'd been self harming and wanted to know why. Ok, self harming is very very wrong, no justifying for it really. The reason I did it was something that was so traumatic to me, something that I had not told anyone for 10 years. I just told her it was as I was missing my dad; who works in germanys for months on end without me seeing him. Yes I miss him, of course I do, but this was not the reason.

Things like this you just have to look for other answers even if they do mean lying. Some things are too hard to admit. However, truth is good.

People often find out your about your lies. It's very hard to say something that is incorrect and continue lying about it at a later date as you have to remember the lie for as long as they do aswell as remembering the truth.

In addition to this there is something else I shall tell you vishwas, but only in private message!

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed May 03, 2006 4:20 am

i also believe a half lie is equal to a lie... so what if the party doesnt come to know about it?? i wudnt lie in the first case. if u leave something unsaid... thats equivalent to a lie, isnt it??

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed May 03, 2006 6:46 am

Well it is if u are lieing half. I meant Half-truth not half-lie. For example, i will tell u about Harry Potter, in his first 5 years he is told that Voldermort is trying to kill Harry, but only in the end of year 5, that is also book 5, he is told about a Prophecy, which is why Voldermort killed his family, his godfather & tried to kill him & his friends so many times. So he was just told half the truth in 5 years to protect him (that is what Dumbledore says) but he is told the truth at last, & u can see the effects of it in year 6.

Now my first question does not revolve around Harry Potter books, that is just a example i have given, as i couldn't think of anything better. But still my question remains the same. Which is better, or lets say the lesser evil.

doriangrey

Post by doriangrey » Wed May 03, 2006 10:52 pm

half truth means you're close to lieing... so I don't really see a bid difference in this. depends to whom you're lieing to :P

doriangrey

Post by doriangrey » Tue May 09, 2006 10:37 pm

in any case, I consider them both as being unfair to the person your in relation with.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed May 10, 2006 5:51 am

ya thats true... more than telling any person.. think about urself... u r noit telling the truth be it a lie or half truth:)

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed May 10, 2006 6:08 am

Ok how about this scenario, u are telling the future of a person using astrology or whatever form of divination, now something bad has happened to that person in the past, now when u are speaking about him will u tell him about his past again & let him feel bad, or u will live it out for the time being.

Ok this happened to me, some astrologer told my parents that I will love a girl but they won't agree to her & that i will then leave that girl & marry someone my parents want me to. Now this was told many years ago i think 6 or 7 years to be precise, & my sis happened to be there & she knew it, but no one told me this thing because they didn't want to hurt me. Yesterday while me & my sis were speaking & I was telling her about her future, which was written by AARCANUM here, & out of the blue she just blurted out this to me.

Well I will say I was saddend that they didn't tell me that then, & a bit angry too. But a couple of second later I thought how would I have reacted if this was told to me lets say 6 years ago, when I was hardly 15-16 years old, & the sadness & anger just flew out of the window, & I felt a bit calm too, because I knew something like that might happen to me & to learn that a pro had predicted it made me feel more calmer & in control of my life, now I can be more careful.

I think it is sometimes good if u hide certain parts of the truth so the other person doesn't feel bad, or like in my case, they need to grow-up a bit to understand it properly without any side-effects (I think u ppl are smart enough to know what that means).
Last edited by Vishwas on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed May 10, 2006 1:17 pm

i do agree vishwas... i guess it does depend on the situation too:)

Return to “General Discussion”