Fate or Free-will OR B-O-T-H...?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

Fate or Free-will OR B-O-T-H...?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Dr. Robert Edwin Svoboda wrote a beautiful exposé on this ever-green topic of Fate and Free-will in 2006 which for me was an eye-opening year and interestingly, the year in which I seriously began to participate here in Mystic Board!

I reckon the article will be of great interest to astrologers, other divinators and folks who are interested in the general topic of what is destined and what is not and what to do about these two!

Unfortunately, I do not have the full URL for this longish article of Svoboda but it might be searchable using appropriate keywords on google or other search engines!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Fate or Free-will OR B-O-T-H...?

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:Dr. Robert Edwin Svoboda wrote a beautiful exposé on this ever-green topic of Fate and Free-will in 2006 which for me was an eye-opening year and interestingly, the year in which I seriously began to participate here in Mystic Board!

I reckon the article will be of great interest to astrologers, other divinators and folks who are interested in the general topic of what is destined and what is not and what to do about these two!

Unfortunately, I do not have the full URL for this longish article of Svoboda but it might be searchable using appropriate keywords on google or other search engines!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dear Dada (RR ji),

Is this the book or the foreword?
http://www.drsvoboda.com/fate-or-free-will.htm

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Re: Fate or Free-will OR B-O-T-H...?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:08 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:Dr. Robert Edwin Svoboda wrote a beautiful exposé on this ever-green topic of Fate and Free-will in 2006 which for me was an eye-opening year and interestingly, the year in which I seriously began to participate here in Mystic Board!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dear Dada (RR ji),

Is this the book or the foreword?
http://www.drsvoboda.com/fate-or-free-will.htm

Rishi
If I recall correctly, I read it as a blog, but could be a pre-publication blog. Yours looks a bit different, but very quickly scanned it and seems similar if not identical.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:10 pm

BTW, 2006 was just a temporal coincidence. I did not mean to imply that the blog and my joining MB were related. :-)

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:BTW, 2006 was just a temporal coincidence. I did not mean to imply that the blog and my joining MB were related. :-)

Dear dada,

Thats okay!.

I took some time to read portions of it...

The last part: the story of the Gods is Appealing, Wonderful & explained Soo.. Well.
It was 'Truth' for me.

Thanks a bounty!!

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:00 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:BTW, 2006 was just a temporal coincidence. I did not mean to imply that the blog and my joining MB were related. :-)

Dear dada,

Thats okay!.

The last part: the story of the Gods is Appealing, Wonderful & explained Soo.. Well.
It was 'Truth' for me.

Thanks a bounty!!

Rishi

Yes, God-Gods-Goddesses seem to have always been part and parcel of all forms of occultism, including technical disciplines such as astrology! Mostly, perhaps, because religion and religious thinking/beliefs were part and parcel of daily life in earlier times. In more modern times (as in now!) the association between religious colorations-explanations and at least some forms of divinations are being questioned more, although for genuine or a range of ingenuine reasons, many tend to cling to those, at least out in the open! ;-)

When the dominant mode of religious thinking used to be strongly intertwined with daily life, wise teachers utilized allegorical references of religious nature for heuristic purposes, since stories form a great mode of memorizing and remembering facts, as opposed to cramming a long list of seemingly disjointed facts. It worked well because back then the acolytes first learned about religion (from parents, from others, from daily life-references, etc). However, now things are different but still the old method of teaching is employed possibly unnecessarily?

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Dear dada,

Thats okay!.

It was 'Truth' for me.

Thanks a bounty!!

Rishi

Yes, God-Gods-Goddesses seem to have always been part and parcel of all forms of occultism, including technical disciplines such as astrology! Mostly, perhaps, because religion and religious thinking/beliefs were part and parcel of daily life in earlier times. In more modern times (as in now!) the association between religious colorations-explanations and at least some forms of divinations are being questioned more, although for genuine or a range of ingenuine reasons, many tend to cling to those, at least out in the open! ;-)

When the dominant mode of religious thinking used to be strongly intertwined with daily life, wise teachers utilized allegorical references of religious nature for heuristic purposes, since stories form a great mode of memorizing and remembering facts, as opposed to cramming a long list of seemingly disjointed facts. It worked well because back then the acolytes first learned about religion (from parents, from others, from daily life-references, etc). However, now things are different but still the old method of teaching is employed possibly unnecessarily?

I was remembering Aesops fables and so many other fables/stories which teach us about life etc.

Maybe it is a more acceptable way for us to comprehend!

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:36 pm

RishiRahul wrote: ...
I was remembering Aesops fables and so many other fables/stories which teach us about life etc.

Rishi
Or Panchatantra by Pt. Vishnu Sharma...?

As long as the acolyte remembers the 'moral' and does not continue to believe that foxes and lions and herons talk like humans...! <LOL>

RR

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote: ...

Rishi
Or Panchatantra by Pt. Vishnu Sharma...?

As long as the acolyte remembers the 'moral' and does not continue to believe that foxes and lions and herons talk like humans...! <LOL>

RR

Absolutely!

Rishi

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 pm

With "it" being fables, stories with moral messages, or I might add here parables (teaching stories) in a religious Holy Book.

Similarly dreams are a more acceptable way of our minds confronting us with truths about ourselves, which we appear to be unable to comfortably deal with while we are awake.

Would that then make dreams the messages which we send ourselves, when there is no other more acceptable method or opportunity for us to send them by any other alternative means?

Then does it follow that dreams are our own inner equivalent of Aesop's fables, morality plays, or self instructional scenarios?

Mmmmmmm.......

EoT &nbsp;Image

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:01 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:
With "it" being fables, stories with moral messages, or I might add here parables (teaching stories) in a religious Holy Book.

Similarly dreams are a more acceptable way of our minds confronting us with truths about ourselves, which we appear to be unable to comfortably deal with while we are awake.

Would that then make dreams the messages which we send ourselves, when there is no other more acceptable method or opportunity for us to send them by any other alternative means?

Then does it follow that dreams are our own inner equivalent of Aesop's fables, morality plays, or self instructional scenarios?

Mmmmmmm.......

EoT  Image
Freud's Die Traumdeutung was a cornerstone of his edifice of psychoanalysis and dreams had been used as an important tool for clinical purposes by psychiatrists and analysts. Symbolisms often soften the blow of what would otherwise in its raw and naked form could be painfully anxiety and guilt-provoking.

Since symbolisms, make-belief, fables, fairy tales are what most (all?) humans grow up with during childhood and these tend to be associated with play-fun-games, perhaps symbolism for many has a pleasant flavour and feeling and so often dreams appear as the lesser of the two evils, the other being 'real life' and its fears and anxieties.

For many, even a fearful dream at least upon waking provides a sort of relief before facing the real dragons such as an evil boss, a constricting work environment, collection agents, problems in relationship, joblessness, disease, etc etc.

Then there are dreams of an exulted/exalted nature which may emanate from higher realms, lucid dreams, prophetic dreams which may or may not arise from within, as in the subjective or personal mental sphere but are received from God alone knows exactly wherefrom. Perhaps God or Angelic fragments of the Divine Core?

The possibilities are limitless and perhaps expand our sense of reality itself if we can find the time to focus on those. Some of us do so, I am sure.

Rohiniranjan

Return to “General Discussion”