Karmas - pretty complex how they work?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 pm

I prefer to live my life by the golden rule which says that we should always treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated, if our roles had been reversed.

When creating an affirmation it is recommended to as much as possible avoid the use of negative words such as not or don't.

Instead of "you should not do to others what you don't want others to do unto you", change this to "you should do to others what you want others to do to you".

This is only a slight change in the wording of the affirmation, but it is much more positive, and therefore more likely to be successful in changing a person's behaviour for the better.

Karma should never be viewed as a system of rewards and punishments (carrots and sticks), but rather as a way of positively educating the soul, by allowing it to see the consequences of its actions upon other people, and upon its relationships with them.

To educate (in Latin educo means to lead out) is to bring out the best of what is already within that person. Karma on the other hand is designed to bring out the best of what is within a soul, mainly through trial and error. Mostly through error, as we often learn far more of lasting value about ourselves through our errors or mistakes than we ever will learn through our life's little victories.

EoT
“Life Is Too Short To Worry About What Others Say Or Think About You. Have Fun, And Give Them Something To Talk About”
-Unknown

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:41 pm

eye_of_tiger wrote:...

Instead of "you should not do to others what you don't want others to do unto you", change this to "you should do to others what you want others to do to you".
EoT
I think the ancient scriptural statement *was* like that! Do unto others as you would..., etc...?

Our subconscious mind (and equivalent terms) are basically simple and child-like and gets confused by negatives and particularly 'double-negatives'. That said, scriptures do contain some "Thou shalt not"s but this is mentioned just for completeness since presumable the conscious minds are reading those. Afffirmations are addressed to the subconscious and therefore should avoid negatives, complexities and foreign or exotic languages etc. Some purists might disagree but that is okay...!

Sadly, Karma and similar principles even in revered writings seem to be couched in a parent-child framework and perhaps that (or those who follow that too literally) leads to the feeling of punishment and cosmic retributions etc. I personally am more comfortable with the 'open book' exams with self-assessment scoring which are preferred by many others as well.

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “General Discussion”