Interesting discussion in Facebook today...

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

Interesting discussion in Facebook today...

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Do you want to be 'liked' or 'respected'?

Given an example of popular characters and people who are more 'liked' for their personality than any of their contribution vs. the same number of people who are respected more than being 'liked' as in respect for their accomplishment, being known via their accomplishment alone, etc, what is your given choice? Wanting to be 'liked' or 'respected'?

I chose 'respected'. Following is my reason:

Both have caveats. If someone likes you, he will most probably not badmouth you on your back. Whereas if someone only 'respects' you as in a fear for your stature/status, he will obey you externally but will badmouth you behind your back. Also, when you want 'likes', you have to confirm with the expected behavior. If you go otherwise, you run the risk of being disliked. Whereas if you want to be 'respected' for you stature and status, you can do and say whatever you want, as long as your stature remains intact and in a notably high position...

The author of this question said he wanted 'respect out of likes'. I respect his opinion also as I think the more popular one becomes out of many people liking him, the more respect he will get from many people...

:)
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 am

Sister in Spirit,  Image

Given the choice (if I had to choose only one), I would prefer to be respected instead of just liked.

Becoming popular with or liked by another person is usually relatively easy, while respect must always be earned.

Just agree with everything the other person says and does, and you will soon automatically become very popular with them.

Mutual respect and trust for each other usually go hand in hand.

If trust is lost, respect quickly follows. And the other way around (first respect is lost) is also true.

A person who truly respects another person does not bad mouth them, either to their face or behind their back.

It is perfectly possible to respect a person's ideas or opinions, without necessarily also respecting them, and everything else which they do or say.

EoT :smt115

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:43 am

Very wise words, EoT ji!

Yes it is true that real respect is what we have to earn -- not that fake respect that people in general give out of fear.

Very true, if someone earns the real respect of someone else, they will also be automatically 'liked'!! :)

Thanks.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Return to “General Discussion”