How do I ever "fire" a subordinate

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Calla Abegail

How do I ever "fire" a subordinate

Post by Calla Abegail » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:30 pm

It has not been a good year for my company and it really saddenning that it really took a toll on us. The management have to do some lay off. I think we have just reached the final straw to come up with the decision. My team is generally all performing, attitude wise, they keep up to what has been expected of them but I had to cut down my staff from 7 to 4. How do I do it to such good natured people.

Since I cannot make a personal and professional approach, how about a scientific basis? Any thoughts?

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Unfortunately a team leader often has to make the difficult decisions, and to be the bearer of bad news to his or her team members.

It is particularly hard to explain why the company is shedding workers, when it is turning a healthy profit.

There is really no easy way to do this, especially if it happens leading up to what is often the most expensive time of the year in the form of the Xmas New Year festivities.

I think that many team leaders or supervisors with the best of intentions not to upset or offend the person who has been made redundant make the fatal mistake of prolonging the agony by not immediately telling the employee what is going on, creating further unnecessary fear and suspicion.

When clearing the air about the situation facing the business would at least offer the worker the opportunity to understand that this is nothing personal against them, and to respond to the challenge in a balanced non defensive manner. A good job reference could take a lot of the heat out of any potential bad feelings, resulting from this parting of the ways.

In most cases the far less than ideal solution (compromise) to this delicate problem is for the team leader to balance honesty and straight forwardness with sensitivity and compassion. If you ever discover how to consistently, reliably and successfully balance all those factors with the rest and let your employee go without there being some tears and regrets by either or both of you, then please let us know about it under this thread.

EoT  :smt102
“Life Is Too Short To Worry About What Others Say Or Think About You. Have Fun, And Give Them Something To Talk About”
-Unknown

Return to “General Discussion”