Burying Guilt when you are depressed

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Burying Guilt when you are depressed

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Our daughter recently found an analogy which I would like to now share with you.
Burying guilt when you are depressed is like trying to bury an angry lion in a child's sandpit.
Credits: "Climbing Out Of Depression" by Sue Atkinson 2005 (Lion Books) Pages 132 - 133 - Section 24 - Managing Depression.

This part of it can be read on Google Books as a free preview, without you having to buy the whole book.

Is anyone else interested in discussing this analogy?

I think that we need to make a clear distinction here between needed, deserved guilt (where you have actually done something wrong or bad) and needless, undeserved guilt (where you are completely innocent of doing any wrong).

Although the psychologically damaging effects of both types of guilt to a person's long term emotional health, are effectively the same.

Anyone?

EoT    :smt115

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:26 am

EoT,

Applying simply and focusedly jyotish principles, one would see that many vairagees (renunciates and even gurus etc) could be mistaken by the observants as having what could glibly be identified as 'depression' by others?

Unlike schizophrenia (thought-disorder), depression is better...?

Sadly, though, there is the mélee of schizo-affectives that are the most difficult to handle?

Thankfully -- they are rare...?

Maybe I spoke too soon...? ;-(

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:30 am

Perhaps we first need to come to some compromised agreement about exactly what is commonly understood as depression, and what is not recognised as depression.

"40 thoughts on “What is Depression (and What is it Not?)” (note that there are two pages of comments)

http://www.wingofmadness.com/what-is-de ... is-it-not/

Unfortunately I think that it is perfectly feasible for an individual to be simultaneously schizo-affective and schizophrenic, as well as depressed.

EoT  :smt010

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:Perhaps we first need to come to some compromised agreement about exactly what is commonly understood as depression, and what is not recognised as depression.

"40 thoughts on “What is Depression (and What is it Not?)” (note that there are two pages of comments)

http://www.wingofmadness.com/what-is-de ... is-it-not/

Unfortunately I think that it is perfectly feasible for an individual to be simultaneously schizo-affective and schizophrenic, as well as depressed.

EoT  :smt010
That is quite possible, according to experts in that field, from what I heard. Very challenging to manage. I edited out the elis island etc since to explain will require lot of typing and might not be worth the time (writer and reader) and energy!  :smt010

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Mental illness runs in some families via heredity. My father 'might' have had it (he was never diagnosed, but rather his behavior all through his life suggests it). My sister has it, my 2nd nephew has it (Schizophrenia) too.

But eventually, most depressed and Schizophrenic people would benefit largely from counselling. The medication part is to treat the symptoms and physical suffering, the counselling is to change the negative thinking pattern.
Last edited by Jayashree Ravi on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Often it is difficult to tell whether any depression is caused by an illness, or it is a nirmal response to having the illness. Not that long ago depression was not regarded as a mental illness, but the definition had to be widened in the face of so many depressed people eventually deciding to take their own lives, just to escape it.

I think that you might have problems convincing patients and their families that treating mental illness is easy, as whatt works well for one person may be worse than useless in treating another. In increasing numbers of patients the old and time tested treatments will only make their condition significantly  worse.

Although this is certainly not a reason to throw these methods away. Unless there are contraindications that these conventional tteatments should not be used, they should always be tried first, before resorting to more extreme and often much more expensive methods of treatment.

Another barrier to successful reatment is the stigma of having a mental illness in our societies. Human ignorance and intolerance of anyone who is different from ourselves only further isolates and demonises the victims from the rest of the community.

Having a physical illness, especially one which has clearly visible and observable effects is seen as acceptable, but having a mental illness is definitely not acceptable and must be a sign of someone being weak or simply making it all up, presumably to get attention and sympathy from other people.

Of course all of the above is complete nonsense and offensive to our intelligence, but the world media have a lot to feel guilty about in continuing  to promote the ignorance and intolerance which is at the core of the problem in a person even seeking treatment.

Many would for these reasons prefer to suffer in silence, instead of being treated as if having the mental illness is all their fault, or that it is the inevitable result of bad parenting.

EoT
“Life Is Too Short To Worry About What Others Say Or Think About You. Have Fun, And Give Them Something To Talk About”
-Unknown

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Very nicely said, EoT ji.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Return to “General Discussion”