led lights bulbs

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Steve41

led lights bulbs

Post by Steve41 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Can we get lesser power consumption if we use LED lamp?

Talia

Post by Talia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I just saw a programme about these giving people electric shocks so be wary where you get them from.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Talia wrote:I just saw a programme about these giving people electric shocks so be wary where you get them from.
Yikes! I was under the impression that LEDs ran on rather low voltages. So the down-regulating circuitry must faulty (for the units that are designed to be used in standard sockets).

ZD net reviews seem to concur with what you wrote. Thanks for the heads-up!

:smt119  :smt026
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 pm

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/20 ... azard.html

Most issues are to do with poor quality control of the LED lamps themselves, and old, outdated and poorly maintained house wiring.

While it is true that Phillips has recalled 99000 of two different types of LED lamps for safety reasons, LED is just as safe as any other type of globe which operates on alternating current. It is the alternating current which can kill you. Not the LED lamp.

For as you will plainly see it is actually an incompatibility with the home wiring which is the problem here. Putting brand new technology into homes with ancient and horribly unsafe and now illegal wiring, which might be over 60 years old.

If you turn on the power while changing any type of globe, the heart shocking/stopping effect will be exactly the same if your touch anything live, regardless of the type of bulb which you will be replacing it with.

If I were asked to choose what I think is the most dangerous type of light bulb on the market, I would say without doubt quartz halogen. These are often used in circuits which have dimmer switches.

Not only do these burn at a much higher temperature than the old incandescent lamps, but if you get even a small amount of the oil from your fingers on the surface of them, they have been known to explode and send small pieces of burning hot glass in all directions. Bad luck if you are too near to it at the time it disintegrates.

The cost of LED lamps with this being cutting edge technology is currently expensive, but the prices will come down significantly over time with mass production and greater public acceptance. Clearly there are some design faults which are still needed to be ironed out first.

The following comparison chart should help to answer Steve's question.

http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html

EoT
“Life Is Too Short To Worry About What Others Say Or Think About You. Have Fun, And Give Them Something To Talk About”
-Unknown

elmore0011

Post by elmore0011 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 pm

LED light bulbs use only 2-10 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL) Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs. Also, because these bulbs last for years, energy is saved in maintenance and replacement costs. For example, many cities in the US are replacing their incandescent traffic lights with LED arrays because the electricity costs can be reduced by 80% or more.

Return to “General Discussion”