What chemical dissolves polyester fibers?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

gbm01

What chemical dissolves polyester fibers?

Post by gbm01 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Does anybody no what chemical would dissolve polyester fiber because I got some stuck in my drain!!!

[external links are not allowed]

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34 am

All solvents of polyester fibre are highly dangerous, and must therefore only be be used with extreme caution by a properly trained professional.

Then there is the not insignificant problem of the solvent and dissolved polyester going further down the drain and entering the sewage system, and possibly being carried out to sea after varying degrees of treatment.

Most are carcinogenic (cause cancer) and some will dissolve any organic tissue like human skin or bone.

Certain types are also teratogenic.

A teratogen is an agent that can disturb the development of the embryo or fetus. Teratogens halt the pregnancy or produce a congenital malformation (a birth defect).  

1. Chlorinated Hydrocarbon Solvents (include trichloroethylene and 1,1,1-trichloroethane)

2. Trifluromethyl Hydroperoxide (F3COOH)

3. Phenol (also called carbolic acid). It only works when used very hot.

Hoping that this helps,

EoT

Rohiniranjan

Re: What chemical dissolves polyester fibers?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 pm

gbm01 wrote:Does anybody no what chemical would dissolve polyester fiber because I got some stuck in my drain!!!

[external links are not allowed]

Google has oodles of useful links (unfortunately all seem to be external :( Please do a search

One cautionary note, though. Before pouring anything down the drain, make sure that your drain pipe is not made of plastic (most recent ones are! You do not want to dissolve those -- it could get expensive!!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “General Discussion”