Astrologer-Perception of their craft

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

Astrologer-Perception of their craft

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Interesting <?survey?> (Nick Campion) quoted by Liz Greene.
Eur. (Higher representation of Europeans)
Amer. (... of Americans)

(multiple views were allowed!)

(Nice article but associated with monetary links :-(...)
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:14 am

How many American and European astrologers actually completed this survey? And how were they selected to do it? Or did they volunteer to fill out the survey themselves? How big was the control group? What was the working hypothesis of whoever designed the survey, and based upon all of this are any of the supposed differences in the attitudes of American and European astrologers towards their craft statistically significant?

You can always post answers to these questions here without an external link or any danger of being accused of a copyright violation or of this being to the author's or your own monetary or otherwise advantage. Paraphrasing what is written in your own words, extracting some of the data for your own separate purposes and above all making it clear that it is not your original work being referred to, is all that it needed to satisfy our rules about this.

Thanks as always for your contribution,

EoT &nbsp;:)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:How many American and European astrologers actually completed this survey? And how were they selected to do it? Or did they volunteer to fill out the survey themselves? How big was the control group? What was the working hypothesis of whoever designed the survey, and based upon all of this are any of the supposed differences in the attitudes of American and European astrologers towards their craft statistically significant?

You can always post answers to these questions here without an external link or any danger of being accused of a copyright violation or of this being to the author's or your own monetary or otherwise advantage. Paraphrasing what is written in your own words, extracting some of the data for your own separate purposes and above all making it clear that it is not your original work being referred to, is all that it needed to satisfy our rules about this.

Thanks as always for your contribution,

EoT  :)
The survey was conducted through a questionnaire at two different astrology conferences and had higher representation of the two practising cohorts, but not necessarily exclusive to the two regions (hence the qualifier was added).

The question marks (mine) were placed precisely to not convey the impression that it should be taken as definitive.

Statistics might have been carried out but not available to me, hence not commented upon.

The key 'take home' message of interest, at least to me on eyeballing the percentages was the similarity of beliefs and responses of practitioners separated by an ocean and this is heartening because it underscores the internal consistency in the practitioners of western astrology, which was what the attendees shared in terms of their astrological beliefs and backgrounds.

Liz Greene's article also included a mention of other similar but smaller surveys which interested individuals should be able to peruse if interested seriously and sincerely :-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 pm

interesting even if the results might be biased,

I never thought of astro as a path to spiritual growth? is that for the astrologer or the client?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Talia wrote:interesting even if the results might be biased,

I never thought of astro as a path to spiritual growth? is that for the astrologer or the client?
Not the results :-)

Usually, the bias exists in:
- Sample (observed population/sub-population chosen/available)
- Study (imprecision in design or methodology etc of the ?demographic? study
- Expectations of the observers of the observation <LOL>

As to your other question, the information available to me did not go into details of each item. Presumably, the respondants of the survey were not weekend-warriors, i.e., dabblers and worse. In astrology in this case &nbsp;:smt020
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Talia wrote........
never thought of astro as a path to spiritual growth? is that for the astrologer or the client?
I cannot be absolutely certain that this applies in all cases, but I feel that the answer is that both the astrologer and his or her client's spiritual growth could potentially benefit from their working relationship.

Just as both teachers and students have a lot of value to learn from each other, ethical astrology could be seen as one of many possible paths to positive spiritual growth, for each of the partners within the relationship.

Cheers,

EoT &nbsp;Image

BTW I wish to use this opportunity to thank our learned friend Rohiniranjan for answering my questions. Perhaps it is better not to always get too caught up with scientific method, and just look at the data for a while to get a general feeling for what it might be suggesting about the differences in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans. To complicate the issue it might make a big difference to the data exactly where in America or Europe the person lives, as to the prevailing attitudes towards astrology, mainly as a result of the dominant religion in that area. Some religions would equate astrology with witchcraft and devil worship. Certainly not as a path to spiritual growth.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:Talia wrote........
never thought of astro as a path to spiritual growth? is that for the astrologer or the client?
I cannot be absolutely certain that this applies in all cases, but I feel that the answer is that both the astrologer and his or her client's spiritual growth could potentially benefit from their working relationship.

Just as both teachers and students have a lot of value to learn from each other, ethical astrology could be seen as one of many possible paths to positive spiritual growth, for each of the partners within the relationship.

Cheers,

EoT  Image

BTW I wish to use this opportunity to thank our learned friend Rohiniranjan for answering my questions. Perhaps it is better not to always get too caught up with scientific method, and just look at the data for a while to get a general feeling for what it might be suggesting about the differences in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans. To complicate the issue it might make a big difference to the data exactly where in America or Europe the person lives, as to the prevailing attitudes towards astrology, mainly as a result of the dominant religion in that area. Some religions would equate astrology with witchcraft and devil worship. Certainly not as a path to spiritual growth.
Hence all the necessary caveats such as ??, 'not definitive' and others were sounded :-)

Dragging science into this or over-interpreting the survey or mixing spiritual-ness with religion and religiousness etc, at best will be reflective of innocense, but at its worst...? That is even unthinkable...! ;-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “General Discussion”