Ocean dwelling creatures - do they teach mankind anything?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

Ocean dwelling creatures - do they teach mankind anything?

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Hello,

I am currently working on a poem. The inspiration came from the behavior of 2 ocean dwelling creatures - the hermit crab and the sea turtle.

The poem is titled "Lessons to be learnt from the sea".

A hermit crab discards its old shell and looks for and inhabits newer, larger shell as it grows bigger. Therefore in the first para of my poem, I am saying, as our society and culture becomes more mature, we need to discard redundant ideas and look for broader mindedness.

A sea turtle lays many eggs on the shore. When the babies hatch, not many of them make it to the sea. They mostly fall prey to the mankind or other predators like the hawks, pigeons, etc. But that doesn't make the babies to not try and reach for the sea. They still try. So I am saying in my para 2 that a man also needs to discard worrying about his losses and keep striving hard to reach his goal.

But after the above, I am stuck. I do not find any more example sea creature, whose behavior a man can learn from.

If you can show me examples of other sea creatures, I would be most obliged.

Thank you.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Found another example:

As a cormorant dives into the sea, the fish come to the surface and the sea hawk captures them. So also, man should let go of differences between race/religion and help each other.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Sister,

What about the unusual relationship between the shark and the remora (a type of sucker fish)?

The remora attaches itself to to the shark and removes troublesome irritating parasites from the shark's skin, while it gets the leftovers of the shark's meals.

This is called a symbiotic relationship.

Each of the two creatures benefits from it.

They could both teach humans the many survival advantages of mutual cooperation, and that each of us has a purpose for being here, whether or not we know what that purpose is at the time.

Whether the remora is programmed to behave like this right from its birth, or whether it learns this from adult remoras is still to be discovered, but their relationship is often taught to secondary school biology students here in Australia as one of the best examples of symbiosis between two sea creatures, which you would normally expect to avoid each other if at all possible.

http://animalsymbiosis.weebly.com/shark ... -fish.html

Here is another example of a marine symbiotic relationship. This time between barnacles and whales.

http://animals.mom.me/symbiotic-relatio ... 10968.html

Like yourself I am hoping that our members might come up with more examples, to fuel your poem and to help you to make your point that humans are all in this together, so we might as well learn to get along better with and stop killing each other, or destroying the environment and planet which sustains all living creatures (including us).

Only through mutual cooperation, a willingness to compromise and learning what things are really important in our lives (our closest relationships with other people and with ourselves), will humanity ultimately survive and evolve.

Loving regards,

EoT  Image

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 pm

WOW! EXCELLENT ideas, EoT ji!!!!

Thank you so much! I am going to incorporate the remora behavior in my poem!!!

:)

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Sister,

I feel privileged that you found my example so much to your liking, that you would incorporate it into your poem. Of course in return we would all like to read the poem on the relevant forum when it is finished.

Something else which occurred to me immediately after typing the above posting is that to put it politely, the remora is an ugly sucker. Only its mother and mate might see it as beautiful and attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? It is definitely not one of those cuddly and cute creatures that everyone would say is sweet and easily house trained.

And yet in the life of the shark it performs an almost essential service. Without it the parasites will drive it crazy, and may eventually overpower and kill it. Not everything or everyone who provides an essential service must necessarily be attractive or photogenic.

Perhaps this could teach us not to be so quick to judge the value or lack of worthiness of other people, only by their outward appearance. Do not judge a book by it's cover?

When we are able to put aside what or who that person appears to be to our physical eyes, and begin to see them more clearly with our spiritual eyes, we are likely to discover that we all have so much in common that all this fussing and fighting is a total waste of our valuable time and energy.

Only when the blinkers or tunnel vision of our daily consciousness are removed, will the true beauty and exquisite design and purpose of the soul which temporarily lives within that physical vehicle begin to be revealed to us, in all it's divine glory.

Namaste,

EoT  Image

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks, brother. I agree with your message.

I am humbled by your profound knowledge.

The poem is in my native tongue (I don't trust my English as much), but will post both the poem in its native form as well as the translation.

Thank you.

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Looking forward to the poem, what great ideas :)

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks, Talia! :)

I have added my poem in the Poetry section.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:22 am

Here is the link.

"Ocean dwelling creatures teaching humans a lesson"

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... highlight=

EoT  :smt109

Return to “General Discussion”