Do we already have too many reading forums?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:41 am

I still try and keep writing (and knitting too) to keep my wrists and hands and fingers moving. I also prefer to keep written notes of anything important and of course a weekly diary that I make myself write (no idea why lol).

But I am way off topic.  It would be nice to get input from the other readers, too maybe iy a post was added to the reading forums alerting them that their reading board is being discussed and possibly could be or might be at risk?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:51 pm

I grew up in an era/surrounding where hand-written notes, examinations, articles were the only way to go. No MCQs back then where I was and type-writers were a luxury. My father forced me to learn typing and also French. I resented both since at my pre-teen age I could not see the rhyme or reason for learning either! I semi-reluctantly learned to touch-type but French was rather challenging...! Such an obedient good boy I was (still am!) ;-)

Fast-forward to future: I ended up in a country where French is one of the official languages and in a region where bilingual = employment and progress in career! Typing turned out to be even more helpful!

My readings and articles were always hand-written but with the prevailing norm and computers I had to switch to typing. It was such a huge change that I had to write everything in long-hand and then type things for submissions etc. I could not 'think' and type; the flow was not there. I had to force myself to think and type and it was not all that difficult once I relented to doing so and the efficiency returned in the process.

Then came a time when typing became difficult due to some issues with my hands. Speech-recognition came to my aid and the Divine plot came around full circle as the thought-words-speech natural process became thought-words-speech-typed word ...! Same old, same old!!

Barriers are often more mental than physical even when we blame circumstances instead of taking the lemon and making lemonade!!

Of course, others will disagree...!  :smt020

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 am

But I am way off topic.  It would be nice to get input from the other readers, too maybe iy a post was added to the reading forums alerting them that their reading board is being discussed and possibly could be or might be at risk?
Dear Talia,

The small number of readers whom we have on Mystic Board all regularly monitor and post to the General Discussion forum. And that is the point. This is only a preliminary discussion designed not only to get input from the readers themselves about what they would like to happen, but it also gives other members who are not readers an opportunity to have their say in the day to day running of the site.

Up until recently these types of discussions were confined to reader or moderator only closed staff forums where decisions affecting members who ask for readings were made with no knowledge or consultation, understandably making everyone feel resentful in not having their opinions heard and thereby feeling powerless and unnecessarily anxious.

Again I repeat that Swetha as this site's owner will always the casting vote or final decision about which reading forums go or stay, but as another administrator I wanted everyone's ideas, thoughts and opinions to take to her to be considered.

There is therefore no dark or hidden conspiracy going on here involving Swetha and myself, where any of our readers or people wanting readings have to worry about their preferred forum suddenly disappearing with out any warning, and therefore their services as a reader no longer being needed.

We are not going to do anything which is going to put what we already have in danger, including our close and friendly working relationship with the rest of the site helper team, or anything that is guaranteed to make members leave us to go elsewhere.

But change of some type in the ways in which we organise the boards and our attitudes towards each other must improve significantly, if MB is to survive and thrive well into the future. We must all get past the idea on MB that any review of our organisation, policies and values is a thinly veiled personal attack upon a particular reader, started by a heartless admin which cannot be trusted, and which neither respects, cares about nor listens to reader's and other member's opinions about what should happen to them and to their community.

I have seen too many psychic/spiritual websites destroyed by those types of negative, jealous, distrustful, resentful and hostile attitudes in the past, and I am as a result 100% committed to doing whatever I reasonably and practically can to help Swetha and the rest of her members make sure that the same thing does not happen to our precious Mystic Board community.

As you can plainly see I feel very strongly about these things and I will not apologise for becoming emotional, and once again showing just how important Mystic Board is to me, and what a big and irreplaceable part of my life it has become.

This review is only one small but still important part of my ongoing efforts to help Swetha and Mystic Board avoid the sad but inevitable fate of those other sites where these attitudes in the end poisoned everything for everyone, and all attempts at positive change was resisted at an extremely high cost.

L&L,

Brian  :smt109

stephybabes92

Post by stephybabes92 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:I grew up in an era/surrounding where hand-written notes, examinations, articles were the only way to go. No MCQs back then where I was and type-writers were a luxury. My father forced me to learn typing and also French. I resented both since at my pre-teen age I could not see the rhyme or reason for learning either! I semi-reluctantly learned to touch-type but French was rather challenging...! Such an obedient good boy I was (still am!) ;-)

Fast-forward to future: I ended up in a country where French is one of the official languages and in a region where bilingual = employment and progress in career! Typing turned out to be even more helpful!

My readings and articles were always hand-written but with the prevailing norm and computers I had to switch to typing. It was such a huge change that I had to write everything in long-hand and then type things for submissions etc. I could not 'think' and type; the flow was not there. I had to force myself to think and type and it was not all that difficult once I relented to doing so and the efficiency returned in the process.

Then came a time when typing became difficult due to some issues with my hands. Speech-recognition came to my aid and the Divine plot came around full circle as the thought-words-speech natural process became thought-words-speech-typed word ...! Same old, same old!!

Barriers are often more mental than physical even when we blame circumstances instead of taking the lemon and making lemonade!!

Of course, others will disagree...!  :smt020
You are awesome! What a cool attitude you have.
x x x x x x x x Stephanie x x x x x x x x
             Live a life of love
                  Jesus is Lord! †

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 am

......coming back to the topic of multi reading forums - my input is that Yes, we do need to have (or keep) the separate reading rooms for the different modalities that the site offers.
I have noticed during my membership on MB, that some people ask (or prefer) only for tarot readings, some ask only for psychic readings and so on and so forth...

I do not favour the idea of one big pot where all readings are posted.

But, as we have covered this topic before, I would be 'annoyed' if someone requested a tarot reading and at the same time he/she asked for a psychic or astrology reading. If we are that desperate to encourage membership, then so be it, but as responsible readers, we should also be concerned about the state of mind of that particular querent requesting several readings on the same topic at the same time: has addiction and reading-dependency taken control of that person to the extent that he/she wants to see which one of the readings will give them the answer that they seek?

Without digressing, yes, I favour the idea of separate reading rooms for different modalities. I have no idea what the difference is between the two types of astrologies...

Yes, Picture reading is some sort of psychic reading (and it is a favourite of mine although I have stopped getting involved in it) but it is a different energy from where I am concerned; it gives us a more 'tangible' medium by seeing that person.... But what were the conditions and energies under which that picture was taken? How old was that picture? Does that picture truly convey the state of affairs that the querent was at the time of requesting the reading?

In answer to the original question of this thread, No, I don't think we have too many reading rooms and these rooms should not be assimilated into one POT where readings are posted.

:) :)

stephybabes92

Post by stephybabes92 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:35 am

I agree, from a user's perspective the reading rooms should stay as they are.
A new person coming to the site might see this as an opportunity to ask for several types of reading at the same time, and might get greedy.
But I think that's just something you should choose to endure, as you have the benefit of providing a finer-tuned, more professional "service" (might be the wrong word) to the outside world.
Those who understand the differences between these readings will appreciate it.
The others can be taught, or will leave.
             Live a life of love
                  Jesus is Lord! †

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:12 am

I do not favour the idea of one big pot where all readings are posted.
Neither do I. But we are looking at each reading forum in turn, with the intention to make each of them work more efficiently and particularly to make them become more attractive to new members, as well as to the more established regulars. How many different forums we would end up with is only one aspect of a much larger review, asking for both our readers and non readers to provide their input into our considerations. In closed reader only forums the general member has no say about or knowledge of what or why things are happening in their community. Swetha always has the final say, regardless.
But, as we have covered this topic before, I would be 'annoyed' if someone requested a tarot reading and at the same time he/she asked for a psychic or astrology reading. If we are that desperate to encourage membership, then so be it, but as responsible readers.........
I am well aware of your attitude towards members asking for more than one type of reading at a time. But how are you going to stop this from happening without us having more rules, which none of us wants. And you have admitted yourself that most people do not read them anyway. I get a feeling (although I may be wrong) that you feel that your abilities as a reader or your Tarot readings are under attack or in question here, when the truth is the complete opposite.

This attitude of us having all the Tarot readers competing against the astrologers (eastern and Western) against the psychic readers, against the numerologists and against any other type of reader I have not mentioned before now as being separate and isolated forums and separate and isolated reading types in some sort of competition for requests, is turning people away from MB in ever increasing numbers.

If a person wants only one type of reading, you are OK with this. But what if they want two or more types of readings with good reasons (their own)?  Can't the different types of readers on Mystic Board work together on the same team and side (the member's)? Can't we consult and cooperate more closely together as readers, and work out what we feel as a team is in the best interests of that person, in their current state of mind?

Do we have to be desperate for new members or irresponsible readers to allow this to happen? Unless this is taken to the extreme and the person continually asks for many different types of readings simultaneously without being willing to follow the advice being freely offered to them, I do not see this as an issue.

Tarot readings (full versus mine) are a well established and well respected and quite popular type of reading on MB, and your abilities and value as member of the site helper team are not being questioned. We must however fairly soon learn to work more closely together as a united team each with our own unique knowledge and skills, instead of as what has largely happened up until now as entirely separate and self contained individuals.

Try to see this from the perspective of a new member, as well as from your own. Do they see each of the readers or forums as separate from and hostile towards one another? Or do they see a team of committed people working in close and friendly cooperation with each other always with their best interests in mind, and with a guiding common purpose to help them to eventually learn to solve their own psychic, spiritual and other types of problems and challenges without always first having a reading, and without us?

If you were a new member, which one would you choose as a safe and friendlier environment for greater personal growth and increased self understanding?

Surely this ideal is not something to be endured (as Stephanie wrote), but instead something to be encouraged, and not discouraged by continued isolation and resentment between team members and forums, as well as through more rules about how many types of readings are allowed to be requested at the same time.

Respectfully yours,

Brian  :smt020

stephybabes92

Post by stephybabes92 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Wow. I didn't get the impression that there is resentment between team members and forums. From the outside it does not appear that way at all.
             Live a life of love
                  Jesus is Lord! †

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:29 pm

But how are you going to stop this from happening without us having more rules, which none of us wants. And you have admitted yourself that most people do not read them anyway. I get a feeling (although I may be wrong) that you feel that your abilities as a reader or your Tarot readings are under attack or in question here, when the truth is the complete opposite.
I thought we had rules not to ask simultaneous multi-readings in different forums. Has this somehow been changed or has been ignored in order to attract new member?. In the past readers would usually check if a request in the Tarot forum or the Psychic forum was duplicated in another forum and would give the querent the choice as to which type of reading they preferred, but not both at the same time.

Tarot forum reading guidelines for Seekers. ( I did not create these rules)

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=68017
6. Please do not ask for multiple readings and please do not ask for readings too frequently, this is thought of as abusing the goodwill of our readers, and your posts will be locked and any more requests will be moved to the thread jail. As a guideline please leave at least one month between requests. Some of our readers request a longer break between, as nothing will have changed, and for some only one reading per lifetime will be given

This rule IS ALREADY there and there is no need yet for another rule. If people read these rules, they would not ask for simultaneous readings in different forums, hence my impression that no one or not many members read these rules and they go on asking for multi readings for the same topic. If suddenly the above rule does not suit MB, then it should be changed… but note warning below……
This attitude of us having all the Tarot readers competing against the astrologers (eastern and Western) against the psychic readers, against the numerologists and against any other type of reader I have not mentioned before now as being separate and isolated forums and separate and isolated reading types in some sort of competition for requests, is turning people away from MB in ever increasing numbers

With respect, but I have not seen any tarot reader(s) competing with the astro readers, because we all know very well, that these are completely different modalities and no relation to each other.  
If a person wants only one type of reading, you are OK with this. But what if they want two or more types of readings with good reasons (their own)?  Can't the different types of readers on Mystic Board work together on the same team and side (the member's)? Can't we consult and cooperate more closely together as readers, and work out what we feel as a team is in the best interests of that person, in their current state of mind?
I am only going with what the Tarot reading forum rules state,  as I have quoted and mentioned above. Yes, it is also counter-productive if a querent gets two different types of readings  for the same question. What if, and this has happened in the past and most recently in my own experience outside of MB, when a tarot reading does not give the same outcome/insight as the psychic reading? For some reason if one of us did not make the right connection with the querent and unbeknown to one of the readers, a second reading was given in a different forum; where would that leave the querent who came here for some guidance and got two conflicting readings? You tell me.
I know this too well, as it happened to me with a paying client of mine outside of MB who also went behind my back and got a different reading in these forums and with totally different insights. This client came back to me asking me to re-qualify every single card that came out in the reading and pressed  me to go back and remember my insights at the time of writing their reading, as to what was my intuition and what was I feeling about the true meaning of those cards? How, when and IF and why?  Despite admitting that the cards were spot on, the querent had had another reading here and they got confused. When I finally confronted them that they have had two readings within a period of 24 hours and it was up to them to see which one resonated with their question most, then they should stick with that reading. I went as far as  telling them that they place too much importance on these readings and sit and wait if and when the readings will come to pass. I felt sad and I told them to stop having readings, as these readings were confusing them more and more.

This example is not pointing the finger to anyone at MB; it is simply stating that multiple and simultaneous readings are counter-productive.  That is the point I am making and there is NO RESENTMENT or jealousy in this whatsoever and I would like that sentiment to be withdrawn from the thread above.
Try to see this from the perspective of a new member, as well as from your own. Do they see each of the readers or forums as separate from and hostile towards one another? Or do they see a team of committed people working in close and friendly cooperation with each other always with their best interests in mind, and with a guiding common purpose to help them to eventually learn to solve their own psychic, spiritual and other types of problems and challenges without always first having a reading, and without us?
Yes, the forums are separate from each other, otherwise why do we have separate modality reading forums. As for ‘hostility’, I have never seen any hostility in the forums, especially in the Tarot forums. What is the ‘guiding common purpose’ that you propose? That readers communicate with each other about a particular request and decide which and who is best qualified to give that reading, like we have nothing else to do but communicate internally on how to approach a certain request? And then another reader will barge in seeing no answer has been given to a request and decide to give their own reading?

I have not noticed any dissent amongst the teams in these forums.
This so-called discussion has been converted into a personal attack, directed particularly towards me.

Yes, Stephanie, we should not wash our dirty linen in public.

This is the extent of my contribution to this thread.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 pm

About multiple forums/reading forums....

There are a few forums which have a lot of traffic.
We should study & follow the successful ones with best traffic, and decide what attracts.

Talking of MB, I feel that the reading forums should be separate (as they are); but other forums/sub forums "may" be clubbed together...

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:01 am

stephybabes92 wrote:Wow. I didn't get the impression that there is resentment between team members and forums. From the outside it does not appear that way at all.
Hi Stephanie,

Yes I agree with you.

It is true that there are currently very few if any signs of conflict or resentment, either between readers on the same forum or between readers on different forums, and we would like to keep it that way.

Some of this is probably because we have so few active readers at present, and the overall number of requests is down.

We are looking further into the future for any potential problems which might develop, when we hope that there will be more of both (readers and requests).  

Brian  :smt007

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:34 am

We should study & follow the successful ones with best traffic, and decide what attracts.

Talking of MB, I feel that the reading forums should be separate (as they are); but other forums/sub forums "may" be clubbed together...
Rishi,

Of course with this website being in India it is understandable that the Vedic Astrology reading forum will be popular and successful in attracting a larger number of requests when compared to the others (as we would expect and applaud). But you are right. Studying the forums which are enjoying greater popularity and success and asking ourselves what other factors might be at work in them is an excellent approach towards ultimately improving the experience for both readers as well as the other members.

With regards to the second part of your response, I would like to get clearer in my mind what you are suggesting here, as it sounds interesting. Are you saying that you think that we should keep the reading forums separate from each other, but group them together separately from the non reading discussion forums?

If that is what you are saying (I am not sure if you are) then wouldn't that disconnect for example the main Tarot discussion forum from the Tarot reading forum, or the main Vedic Astrology discussion board from the Vedic Astrology reading board?

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and practical input, as it is always much appreciated.

Brian  :)

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 am

While I always appreciate feedback from the readers and moderators, could I please remind members that I also need feedback from you about how we could possibly improve Mystic Board in the future.

Particularly here, with regard to the reading forums. If you would like me to, I could begin a similar but separate thread, this time about the non reading forums.

What have your personal experiences been with requesting and being given readings on Mystic Board, up until now?

How do you think that we could make this reading system work better?

We are looking for sensible and practical ideas and opinions from you, as you are who we and the site are here to help.

But we need your input to help us to help you more or better.

Thanks everyone,

Brian  :smt006

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:

Rishi,

Of course with this website being in India it is understandable that the Vedic Astrology reading forum will be popular and successful in attracting a larger number of requests when compared to the others (as we would expect and applaud). But you are right. Studying the forums which are enjoying greater popularity and success and asking ourselves what other factors might be at work in them is an excellent approach towards ultimately improving the experience for both readers as well as the other members.

With regards to the second part of your response, I would like to get clearer in my mind what you are suggesting here, as it sounds interesting. Are you saying that you think that we should keep the reading forums separate from each other, but group them together separately from the non reading discussion forums?

If that is what you are saying (I am not sure if you are) then wouldn't that disconnect for example the main Tarot discussion forum from the Tarot reading forum, or the main Vedic Astrology discussion board from the Vedic Astrology reading board?

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and practical input, as it is always much appreciated.

Brian  :)

EoT,

I was not talking about separating reading forums from general ones at all.

I was just saying that forums may be shortened. For example mystic 101 or similar

Just a suggestion though...

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Well I did some research this morning and counted lol.

I was interested to see there are only 4 really active reading forums,
Psychic reading  -             3183 Request threads
Vedic Astrology readings - 3092 Request threads
Tarot reading -                 1618 Request threads
Palmistry -                       1415 Request threas

I started counting the number of actual readings given but my head started spinning lol.

I'm not making any point just thought someone might be interested lol.

I think it is good to have the discussion and learning of a topic kept together with the reading forum for that topic, that way it is all in one place and not all over, and if someone wants a reading or to learn or discuss they know that all that information and opportunity will be in one place?

I do wonder though about the Psychic Reading board. I think that could be expanded and less restrictive. It is quite offputting to see a notice right at the top saying ' No Akashic, Angel or Past Life Readings on this board' then if anyone bothers to read the thread it goes on to say that actually angel readings are being given over on the tarot board?
 It would be kinder to get rid of a lot of these very old pinned threads and look at what might be a new look to the boards. Offer more varied readings in psychic, after all angel readings, past life  and akashic readings can be and should be classed as psychic? People won't go to the Tarot reading board to look for them, as they are not tarot?

Return to “General Discussion”