Do you remember your first posting on Mystic Board?

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Do you remember your first posting on Mystic Board?

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:35 am

Hi,

Could everyone please think back to the day when you first registered as a member on Mystic Board?

You were ready to make your first posting, when suddenly your mind is coming up with all types of reasons or excuses as to why you should not post.

Or reasons and excuses why you should wait until tomorrow to post, or maybe the day after that (possibly).

:smt017  :smt017  :smt017

I think that it might help to make our newer members feel more comfortable and relaxed if they could see that many of the reasons or excuses going through their minds at the moment for not posting, are very similar to those which went through our minds when we were in their situation.

I will start the discussion by giving three of my main reasons for not posting (not in any particular order).

1. If I ask people this question they will probably have heard it several times before, and they will laugh at me and make me feel stupid for asking it or not already knowing the answer.

2. There are several people on the forums who have been members of Mystic Board for a long time, and the other members are therefore more likely to accept and listen to what they have to say, than they are to a newcomer like myself.

3. Nobody has ever been interested in my beliefs or opinions in the past (especially about psychic and spiritual subjects), so why would I expect Mystic Board members be any different now?

Now it is your turn...........

Thanks everyone,

Brian :smt023

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Not bragging but ten years ago when I joined this forum, I had a simple message in the following thread:

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... sc&start=0

which since then I had been consistently reminding members about, despite the risk of being cyber-dismembered.  :smt006

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:33 am

It is not bragging to take pride in one's knowledge or achievements.

It is only bragging if you are constantly reminding everyone else around you about your knowledge and achievements, and will not recognise theirs.

What was it which finally gave you the confidence to make your first posting on Mystic Board?

Also could you please explain why you would run the risk of becoming cyber dismembered (sounds nasty), and by whom?

Thanks,

Brian   :smt002  :smt002

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:02 am

I had been pretty active in telecommunications since early 80s. Initially through Bulletin board systems (BBS), then on dial-in forums on GEnie, Delphi, CompuServe, America Online (precursor of AoL), news groups and news lists which were mostly ASCII-based and then came internet and graphic user interface etc. Quite a trek from 300 baud to 60 MB over 20-25 years.

MB was/is just another forum in a sense a very tiny replica of CompuServe.

eye_of_tiger wrote:Image

It is not bragging to take pride in one's knowledge or achievements.

It is only bragging if you are constantly reminding everyone else around you about your knowledge and achievements, and will not recognise theirs.

What was it which finally gave you the confidence to make your first posting on Mystic Board?

Also could you please explain why you would run the risk of becoming cyber dismembered (sounds nasty), and by whom?

Thanks,

Brian   :smt002  :smt002

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:42 am

Got it!

Your confidence in posting on MB was the result of years of experience, both with text only and graphical user interface forums and bulletin boards all over the internet. As well as having a large amount of accumulated knowledge of your subject area, which to draw upon.

Thank you,

Brian :smt023

Return to “General Discussion”