Report Board Issues

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

Report Board Issues

Post by swetha » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 am

Hello Everyone,
Mystic Board is getting upgraded. And we will be having teething issues. If you come across any problem, kindly make a post in this thread so that we can find a solution.

Thanks

Swetha
MysticBoard.com Team

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Report Board Issues

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Swetha,

Cool! Take your time...Slow and steady wins the race....So will You guys & MB.
I am sure we all have the patience :)

MB logo can be thought of.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 am

The Logo and color will need to be integrated with the new version. Will get it done soon :)

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:39 am

Swetha,

Personally I would be sorry to see us go back to the purple colour of the old interface, as prosilver is much more gentle on my old and failing eyes, and I thought that we were wanting to give people the impression that we are moving towards a brighter and more streamlined future, and are not wanting or willing to be held back by the past.

Also I think that there are several "under the hood" issues which should take greater priority over what would only be a cosmetic, surface change.

Issues such as how you are going to collect enough money, to help you to to pay to keep the site running and making improvements as you go.

Without charging an annual subscription fee, gaining extra revenue from advertising or the sale of your MB software, you are paying the monthly hosting fees completely out of your own pockets.

I would therefore like to see the help centre and associated instructions for downloading and registering MB software restored, as soon as possible.

I also think that this is a golden opportunity for you to consider removing the option to register software by the number of posts made (along with its complex set of rules about which postings are counted towards the quota for that particular piece of software).

That option has been abused so much in the past that it is now unworkable, and I can no longer support the extra workload involved with monitoring them.

Bouquets to the both of you for restoring the FAQ. I have not fully tested it yet, but it looks very promising.

Thank you to the both of you for your first class efforts on our behalf.

There are still some major site security issues to be resolved, but I will of course only discuss those on the admin forum.

L&L,

Brian :smt039 :smt039

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Swetha,

Since this new software came about, I am still unable:

1) to automatically log in. I still have to input my user Id and password manually, despite ticking Remember Me option.
2) not getting any email notifications to Private Messages; to posts I have been taking part in despite ticking all the proper boxes in the Notifications settings under my Preferences.

You asked and I am posting my difficulties about this new Software.

Appreciate a speedy solution to these basic issues.
Cedars

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Both of those features work for me, I do get notifications and I can use the remember tickbox and it works, which makes me wonder if it could be your security settings on your pc? Windows 10 has a new safety update and it may be blocking these features, not allowing saved passwords and blocking bulk emails? But just a thought :)

I like the purple colour, It reflects the mystic and spiritual nature of the forum. Leaving it as default silver is common and makes no statement, but of course the 'theme' feature could be enabled so members could choose which to use. What is more important is whether to block or change the phpBB logo and changing it to MB or if the cost is a concern.
This upload is very similar if not identical to the free version of the software available so there are options to incur little or no charges depending on the needs of the owners and the members.

Surely the main issue has to be members and in fact posting members? If people aren't able to register then the forum is capped, hence my comment about 'who is keen'. Getting the structure of the board in placed is important but the ongoing path is paramount.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Talia wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm
Both of those features work for me, I do get notifications and I can use the remember tickbox and it works, which makes me wonder if it could be your security settings on your pc? Windows 10 has a new safety update and it may be blocking these features, not allowing saved passwords and blocking bulk emails? But just a thought :)

I like the purple colour, It reflects the mystic and spiritual nature of the forum. Leaving it as default silver is common and makes no statement, but of course the 'theme' feature could be enabled so members could choose which to use. What is more important is whether to block or change the phpBB logo and changing it to MB or if the cost is a concern.
This upload is very similar if not identical to the free version of the software available so there are options to incur little or no charges depending on the needs of the owners and the members.

Surely the main issue has to be members and in fact posting members? If people aren't able to register then the forum is capped, hence my comment about 'who is keen'. Getting the structure of the board in placed is important but the ongoing path is paramount.
Hi Talia,

Maybe you are on the right track.
I am able to sign in just like the old times; but still do not get notifications despite following instructions of EoT (Brian).

The puple colur was the best; truly mystic and spiritual!!

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:10 am

Why some people believe that the colour purple is any more spiritual or mystical when compared to any other colour on the visible light spectrum (perhaps it is more to do with a feeling of familiarity and continuity with the old site) might be interesting to examine sometime and somewhere else, but it is not the purpose of this particular thread.

Its intended purpose is to quickly and efficiently identify operational (rather than cosmetic) problems with the software, so that our resident technical crew can work with and hopefully find a way to fix them.

If only most or all of these technical issues could be easily and quickly fixed by changing an admin setting here or there, or using Windows 10 (no thank you). :smt009

My point is less about whether or not we should revert to a shade of purple (it will happen anyway eventually, in spite of what I think), and more about what priority I think that we should be giving it.

In order to illustrate what I am talking about above, I submit the following admittedly imperfect analogy.

Imagine that your car has just been involved in a terrible accident. Fortunately you and your passenger are both OK, and your vehicle is badly smashed up but still fixable. And the repairs will be fully covered by your motor insurance.

A miracle in itself! :smt002 :smt002

So your car is towed away to the crash repairer's workshop, and after the insurance company has put a valuation on the damage and authorised the repairs, the work to restore your vehicle to its former glory can finally begin.

But there is another problem. For some unexplained (to you) reason, the person who is going to fix your car is only available for one hour in each business day. Anything which does not get done during those 60 minutes, will have to wait until the following day. And to make matters worse, nobody else can take over, and do the work in this repairer's place.

You would presumably want this person to use his or her limited time most effectively. That is of course unless you do not care how long it will take in total to get your car back on the road, and you are happy to use public transport to get to and from work indefinitely. :smt017

What part of this job needs to be done first? Which is another way to ask which part of the work should take the higher priority? Should it be the engine (it exploded), the structural repair of the chassis (badly broken), or should it be repainting the outer metallic skin in its original factory colour?

Normally they would start from the inside (the inner workings), then progressively move outwards. After the car's body work has been hammered and straightened, and missing sections of the metal sheeting replaced,the job of painting it is usually left until last. It is not because the colour of or the paint itself is not important in protecting your investment. It is simply because a job is often best done in a particular order, from inside to outside.

From more important to less important, but still important enough to all eventually be done.

Especially if your repairer is only available one hour each day, or in Swetha and Abhishek's case they are only available to fix the issues with the software during a limited number of hours in each week. While going back to purple might make some of you feel more spiritual and give you a sense of inner peace and comfort, the "under the hood" issues are I am suggesting more urgent.

I could cope for much longer with the interface remaining pro silver, than I want to have to cope with no working new user registration process, or no extra money coming in to keep Mystic Board running. And certain board features still not working, or only working for some members and not others (and then only intermittently).

Could I please also add that members who are already visiting the site regularly should NOT be waiting for any of these problems to be fixed, before beginning discussions or responding to postings which have already been made? I believe that the best way to advertise or attract new members to our community is to show how it is done. What a great site this can be when people are willing to participate, and to do whatever they can to help others.

Rather than what colour the interface is at the time. :)

The best way for you all to help me with the user registration process is to show genuine applicants that there is something good happening on MB (which is not happening on any other free psychic or spiritual websites), which makes becoming a registered member of our community feel worth doing.

And to show the spammers that they will be making a serious mistake if they think that we will allow them to ruin this friendly place and healing experience for us.

I would go so far as to suggest that the large number of spammers currently waiting to abuse Swetha's and our generosity by registering, are an outward symptom of the death like feeling of emptiness and a distinct lack of encouraging content, which has been developing on MB since before Christmas 2016.

Our discussions lately seem to have become more about point scoring and proving that we are right (and everybody else is wrong), rather than about making everyone and their ideas feel equally welcome and valued.

But that is my opinion on the above subjects, and I accept that not everybody's will be the same as mine. Which I believe is a healthy and attractive way for things to be on MB.

Be kind to yourselves,

Brian :smt024

PS: The new user registration dialogue is not permanently disabled. Genuine new applicants or returning members who have forgotten or lost their passwords will still be able to register, if they have enough patience to wait until it is re-enabled again (which is often).

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Talia wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm
The auto log in can be perhaps fixed by amending my browser settings.. but the notification issue is software-baseed I am sure and has got nothing to do with Security settings of the PC or Windows...
I get notifications from other sites except for this. I can log in automatically on other sites, except this one.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Cedars,

Yes these are perplexing and frustrating software issues which for the sake of the future of our community and our own sanity, should definitely be given a much higher priority than mere cosmetic changes.

You should not have to make any major changes to your browser configuration for this to work (see below for one exception to this rule). It has nothing at all to do with your computer's OS.

The correct setting is already there in the forum software for automatic logins to work properly, but why it only works on some computers and not others is a mystery.

The required information is stored in a cookie (a glorified text file) on your machine, so if you are in the habit of manually or automatically clearing your web browser's cache which generally includes all cookies, try protecting any which are called mysticboard.org from being removed, and see if that helps.

Check the setting again for your browser accepting all third party cookies, or at least any cookies from MB.

Note that if you do not login to the site that often, most cookies are set to eventually expire any way. And when they expire, your automatic login disappears (often after 2 to 3 days of inactivity).

This is by design, and not by accident or because of any problem. It forces each of us to re-authenticate/re-identify ourselves to the web server, which hosts MB.

Some sites also force their members to regularly change their passwords for extra security, but MB does not presently require this.

With regard to you not getting email notifications, in addition to following my earlier instructions, check your email spam folder. If the notification is there, add the address from which it comes to your email white list.

Also some ISPs for purposes of protecting their customers use settings on their email servers which automatically reject messages like these as either being spam, or having been sent for malicious purposes.

Cloud antivirus/anti-malware programmes (programmes which are not physically on your machine, but are only on the internet) are another problem.

Keep the faith,

Brian

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Brian,
I agree with all the comments you have made about PC's and browsers and Cookies settings....

My Firefox has accepted Mystic Board as one of the 'allowable' Cookies under Options/Settings. I did not do this since the new software.
My Email client has been receiving emails from MB for the past 8 years or so and none have so far ended up in the Junk folder.

I don't like allowing my browser to remember passwords - which seems to be the only way to overcome the log in issue of the new MB software. It was accepting log in by simply clicking in the Log In dialogue 'remember my log in details'. Now, despite ticking that, it refuses to remember.
Other sites do.
I have not allowed Firefox to remember my other sites' password and I don't see why I should allow to do so with MB.. I find that to be 'risky' to allow a browser to remember all passwords..

For example: I did not get any notification email when you so kindly responded to my query in such detail...
Very frustrating indeed......

I will wait and see if Swetha/Abi can find a solution to this.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:12 am

Hello everyone,
I am sorry I haven't been around. My cat of 9 years passed away day before and Abhi and I have just not being able to get myself together :(. Please give me a day or two to list out all the issues and find solutions.

Thanks for your love and patience,
Swetha

Talia

Post by Talia » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 pm

(((((Sweth & Abhi)))) I love my cats so I really sympathise with you both, xxxx

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 am

So far this thread has been for you to report what has stopped working with the new forum software.

However I feel that this is only part of the information which we need.

If any board feature which has not been working up until recently suddenly begins working, then please let me know about it here as soon as possible.

I am looking specifically at trying to get ALL external emails working again, but any good news (whether or not it is related to external emails) would be more than welcome at this point in time.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback,

Cheers,

Brian :smt048

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm

'Spirit seaker' is a new registrant of MB.
It seems that new posters are being able to register.

Are notifications going to you guys?

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

Return to “General Discussion”