Your own work vs Somebody else's

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Your own work vs Somebody else's

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 pm

TO ALL MEMBERS

It does not take a psychic to recognise that Mystic Board is currently struggling to survive, and has been for more than a year, particularly after the forum software was updated and the site moved to its present location during the first half of 2018.

But have each of us thought how we could be unknowingly contributing to this rapid decline, by our own choices and behaviour?

Much of my work as an administrator lately involves watching out for possible copyright infringements and checking that links to external websites conform to the site rules.

So when I see postings which contain one or more external links with none of your own comments or any explanation as to why they have been given (other than perhaps a cryptic subject heading), or huge blocks of somebody else's work again with no input on your part, I am feeling increasingly uncomfortable when I have to explain to Swetha why I am allowing this to continue.

With MB having run into copyright problems in the past, Swetha is now oversensitive to almost paranoiac about the possibility of this ever happening again, which is why we have tightened the rules considerably over the years.

We do not want to go so far as some other websites who have been forced to ban all external links in postings for everyone (sometimes including the administrators themselves), but at the same time we are not willing to leave the site exposed to potential legal prosecution, by not having and applying these rules.

The same principle (probably even more so) applies to the uncontrolled copying and pasting of huge blocks of information from other websites, especially if it is done without first getting written permission from the author.

And why wouldn't the author be happy to give you their permission? Unlike yourself they have made no personal commitment to MB, and are not making any contributions to our community. Nor are they providing a link to MB on their website, in return for the free advertising which we are giving them.

They give us nothing, and take everything which they can get for no effort, or even a simple thank you.

Also, it is often much easier to post an external link or copy and paste, instead of giving your own opinions or ideas, as if we need them to give the contents of our postings greater authority, or possibly because we think that they can always explain things better than than us.

This in turn encourages a certain degree of laziness, and low self confidence in one's own abilities.

One thing I do know after having been on MB for several years is that we have some very gifted and knowledgeable and friendly members, who should not need to have somebody else's authorization or validation.

In other words, I have every confidence in and respect for these wonderful and kind and giving people (genuine members), and I do not wish to see them continue to be used by outsiders, who do not care for MB and its members, beyond what they are able to get from us for nothing.

So what I am asking of you here is that BEFORE posting external links or copying and pasting somebody else's work along with zero input from yourself, think about what you are telling other members about your belief in yourself and your knowledge and your abilities, and who you are helping most by doing this.

Members, or outsiders?

External links and copying and pasting are not being banned outright with no exceptions, but we definitely WOULD like to see much more of your own thoughts and work, and much less of everybody else's (no matter how famous or well regarded they are).

Otherwise Mystic Board will inevitably become just one more of the already long list of clone websites, where nothing original ever happens.

Question: What is it going to be which makes Mystic Board stand out from and above the crowd, for giving its members something which the clone websites will never be able to give?

Answer: All of us. Our personal and combined knowledge. Same for our opinions. Same for our ideas. Same for our beliefs. Our caring for each other. What we each create and add to the community "pool" of combined knowledge, opinions, ideas, beliefs, caring, creations and contributions.

Kindest regards,

Brian :smt045

Rohiniranjan

Re: Your own work vs Somebody else's

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:51 am

ALWYAYS HAD BEEN SIMPLE FOR ME SINCE 2006 AND EARLIER?

WHY FOLLOW THE FOOLS WHEN ALL THOSE SHALL CRUMBLE AND TRY TO TRY BUT SHALL REMAIN CLUELESS AND SUCH I HAVE SEEN, HERE...? ;-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Sir,

The new policies concerning the inclusion of links to external websites in posting only came into effect in 2015.

I know this because I helped to compile them at the time, of course in cooperation with Swetha.

The updated rules are necessarily much tighter and infinitely more comprehensive, when compared to those which were operating during 2006.

The internet is a very different and somewhat more unfriendly place in 2019 than it was 13 years ago, and copyright owners are now much more sensitive to and likely to legally prosecute any site or individual who uses their intellectual property, without obtaining their written permission.

This posting therefore is just as much directed towards our more veteran members who may be unaware of this tightening of the copyright infringement rules since they first registered, as it is also intended for our newer members (bless them).

Take care,

Brian :smt038

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:09 am

eye_of_tiger wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm
... as it is also intended for our newer members (bless them)

Take care,

Brian :smt038
Yes my fellow-traveller -- of course, but where are these newer members? Or even older moderators that once used to spark up this forum, though not so much with their creativity but other skills...? :smt004

You have been different, so please do not take this personally, please...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 pm

where are these newer members? Or even older moderators
The potential new members have moved on to other psychic and spiritual sites, where there are active discussions and readings going on all or most of the time.

In the case of the older moderators and readers who no longer visit us, many of them have websites of their own where they are paid for their services.

Free readings provided by volunteers, no longer get the respect that they deserve.

It also helps your reputation if the site owner is clearly visible and readily accessible to all members on the forums, on a reasonably regular basis.

If he or she is not regularly visible or accessible (balanced against work and other commitments offline), the animating spirit behind the website in question will be missing, and people can sense this and will vote accordingly with their feet.

I agree with everything you have said, and I am not therefore in the slightest offended by your honest observations.

I tried my best.

Brian :smt035

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 am

Yes Brian, but it sucks all the same, does it not?
Like a charitable blood-donation that went not to a dying soldier but elsewhere...??

It HURTS..., but perhaps so mote it be...!

Perhaps we two ship-wrecked ones must explore podcasting and who knows, though Mark Twain insisted that "East and West never would meet", perhaps, NORTH and SOUTH might...?

eye_of_tiger wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 pm
where are these newer members? Or even older moderators
The potential new members have moved on to other psychic and spiritual sites, where there are active discussions and readings going on all or most of the time.

In the case of the older moderators and readers who no longer visit us, many of them have websites of their own where they are paid for their services.

Free readings provided by volunteers, no longer get the respect that they deserve.

It also helps your reputation if the site owner is clearly visible and readily accessible to all members on the forums, on a reasonably regular basis.

If he or she is not regularly visible or accessible (balanced against work and other commitments offline), the animating spirit behind the website in question will be missing, and people can sense this and will vote accordingly with their feet.

I agree with everything you have said, and I am not therefore in the slightest offended by your honest observations.

I tried my best.

Brian :smt035
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “General Discussion”