Hello - Newbie Here

Welcome to mysticboard.org. Introduce yourself to other members here. Invite your friends here and post your welcome messages.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

SavageHurricane

Hello - Newbie Here

Post by SavageHurricane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:31 pm

I learned about lucid dreaming from an online friend about three or four years ago. She told me about lucid dreaming because I have suffered from recurring nightmares from childhood through to adulthood. (I am now 34 and still have nightmares.)

I tried very hard to have lucid dreams and used the technique of telling yourself to look at your hand (Carl Jeung’s technique I think?), anyway one time I managed to tell myself to look at my hand in my dream and immediately I saw my hand and woke up… very disappointing, lol… the next time I was successful and had (what I think was) a fully fledged lucid dream where I realized I was dreaming and was able to do anything  I wanted so went for a “fly”… without going into too much (boring) detail I found it to be the most the exhilarating experience I can remember. My thought processes were comical as I realized certain precautions were unnecessary (like making sure I wouldn’t lock myself out of the house while out flying) since I was in fact dreaming and in total control of the dream.

Anyway, that was about three years ago now and I never had another successful lucid dream after that in spite of trying extremely hard… perhaps I tried too hard… and I lost interest in keeping up the effort.

Recently I had a nightmare and it replayed over and over again, the same scene repeating itself as I tried to clamber over a wall and escape… because the scene kept repeating itself I became aware I was dreaming and almost began to feel exhilarated again but… weirdly enough… I couldn’t think of what I would like to do in the dream (instead of running away from murderers) and so I woke up. I was pleased to get myself out of the nightmare and also pleased to have stumbled across becoming aware of dreaming.

The reason I signed up in this forum is that last night I had an unpleasant experience. I had one nightmare after another in quick succession… lots of them… I became aware I was dreaming but had no control. I screamed to myself to wake up but started to suffer sleep paralysis…I couldn’t wake up and my eyes wouldn’t open even though I was telling myself to open them and I remained stuck in the frightening dream.

I even told myself to look at my hand hoping that old technique might help wake me up but the person in my dream held my hand down so I couldn’t look at it… again, I had no control even though I knew I was dreaming. I decided I would try to mentally visualize my hand but I couldn’t manage it and the nightmare continued.

I had many nightmares last night and through several of them I seemed to manage to become aware of the fact I was dreaming without gaining proper control. In the last nightmare I managed to force myself to throw myself out of the window head first through the glass… smashing it and breaking through so I could escape the nightmare and attempt to “fly” and turn the dream from a nightmare into a pleasant lucid dream. After smashing through the glass I felt I could feel the glass shards all over me… not painful but worrying and I became fearful it may be dangerous to lucid dream in such a violent and desperate way in case I was actually sleepwalking instead of dreaming.

So… anyway… my hope is that others may have experienced something similar to me or that someone may know why this is happening or that it is a normal process. It was very frightening to be in the middle of a nightmare and become aware I am dreaming and still have no control over it. I woke up feeling very disturbed.

Any advice would be so very much appreciated. Many apologies for such a long first post.

Thanks
SH

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:09 pm

Welcome to MysticBoard community, we hope you will have a nice stay and make a lots of friends :)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:34 am

hello,
welcome to MysticBoard.com

BLACKCAT

Post by BLACKCAT » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:25 am

welcome to the board.

blackcat

SavageHurricane

Thank you

Post by SavageHurricane » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks for the welcomes...

Samson

Post by Samson » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 am

Hello SavageHurricane, welcome to the Mystic Board.

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:37 am

Welcome to MysticBoard.com SavageHurricane.

priestess12

Post by priestess12 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:05 am

I have had a few experiences similar to yours. My advice is to keep practicing when the opportunity arises even in unpleasant experiences. If you are being chased, try turning around and telling whoever is chasing you that they are nothing more than a dream. Be insistent even if they continue to torment you.  In a lucid dream you ARE in charge and sometimes you have to remind yourself of that by reminding those who you are dreaming about. Even inanimate objects are under your control so don't be shy about letting them know they too are just a dream. You may not succeed in your initial attempts but over time you are going to gain control.

The good thing about this is that dreams like that can be a manifestation of things in our waking lives that torment us only in different form. So theoretically, if you can gain control over a troublesome situation in a dream, it will be empowering to you while you are awake as well. I do wish you the best of luck!!

Shelley

Tish

Post by Tish » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:49 pm

:smt006 Hi, there.

I wonder whether these dreams are becoming more insistent because you are trying to ignore what they are telling you, and instead control them and turn them into something else?  Hmmm.

What was the original recurring nightmare, I wonder?

Best wishes,
Tish

business voodoo

Post by business voodoo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:20 pm

also, you may want to check that you are not eating something that is causing the nightmares ... if you have a nightmare, remember what you ate for dinner ... often things onions, caffenine, herbs even some proteins and other things cause nightmares ... if you can find a common factor, it could be a simple as realigning your bio-chemistry balance via the food.  ... oh, yes, welcome to the forum ... i'm new as well!

xxdevin

lucid dreaming

Post by xxdevin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:38 pm

i am interested in lucid dreaming also.
i know about checking your watch to see if you are dreaming. if you get into the habit of asking yourself during the day am i dreaming? then it will be easier to ask yourself while you are really dreaming.
once i was dreaming i was at my grade school.  i realized hey i must be dreaming and i floated over to get a ball i would have had to walk to.
i downloaded software to keep track of my dreams, but its a bummer i cant use it until i post 25 times. i'll probably end up recording my dreams in another program. so yeah. good luck everyone. and screw you 25 post rule maker

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Wrong thought.....you can use it as long as you want....without the need for register....you will only have a nagging screen....but I assume you can live with that :)

If you on the other hand try to explore the site you might find that it is much better then the program itself....because her you meet people with same interest....but as said...all is up to you....good luck  :)

Samson

Post by Samson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Hello & welcome SavageHurricane & xxdevin.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”