interested in tarot but overwhelmed

Welcome to mysticboard.org. Introduce yourself to other members here. Invite your friends here and post your welcome messages.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

redvwbug

interested in tarot but overwhelmed

Post by redvwbug » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 am

i have been interested in tarot, palm readings, runes etc for quite a long time. it's been forever since i have had a reading though.

i do have a tarot deck. that sadly have been sitting in my drawer unopened for many years. but now i have decided that i would really love to start using them, esp for myself. though i understand that self readings are very difficult ... sigh.

so i have come here and will follow the lessons and see what i can do. the tarot is just so overwhelming. so many cards, meanings, spreads. make my brain hurt just thinking about it.

so i'll be checking back here regularly to learn as i go.

thx

Lei

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 am

Welcome to MysticBoard community, we hope you will have a nice stay and make a lots of friends :)

Samson

Post by Samson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Hello & welcome Lei.

snufile

Interested in Tarot and Vedic Astrology too

Post by snufile » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:02 am

I wish I knew what each card means

suhreel

Post by suhreel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:24 am

it is hard to get the meanings all down.  i usually do readings online at facade.com, which give general descriptions and meanings... you can't get a full understanding from canned responses but if you start reading your different cards on a daily basis, you'll probably find yourself getting a lot of the same cards and being able to slowly remember the different meanings.  

As an interesting side note, one thing I thought was interesting that I read about tarot was the suggestion about wrapping your cards in silk, and the idea about having a private deck that you only use for yourself, and you don't let other people even handle the cards.  Just little side tips that came to mind.  

Take it slow and steady and you'll pick it up eventually.  Don't let youself get too overwhelmed - baby steps!!!

snufile

pretty impressive

Post by snufile » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 am

I get readings all the time. But I was told you should never read for yourself. Do you believe that to be true?

I am going to check out your site to see if I can get a good reading. I usually get one from keen.com too.

suhreel

Post by suhreel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:28 am

Never heard of keen.com, will have to check that one out as well.  I have also heard that and I'm not quite sure what to say about that.  I don't really understand the reasoning behind it, but I would think myself to feel more comfortable working with all my own energy before I'd be inclined to think it's best only to involving the energy of someone else.  I don't know if that's making sense, and I honestly don't understand the whole concept of not giving yourself readings, but maybe it just depends on the individuals own understanding of the oracle aspect of it all.  

I'd be curious to hear others' responses to that, especially someone who does fully understand why some people say you're not supposed to give a reading to yourself.

harleygirl

learning tarot

Post by harleygirl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 pm

I am also interested in learning tarot, but overwhelmed.  You mentioned following lessons.  Where are the lessons listed?  - I'm new to this so I'm just starting to find my way around.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I bought myself a deck of cards and also the book "tarot for dummies", but still have a hard time understanding.

AEWaiteforme

Introducing AEWaiteforme

Post by AEWaiteforme » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 am

Hello, i'm a humble student of the occult sciences, with strong interests in tarot, Kabbalah, and the Western Tradition. I like the Tarot program, its a good intro to the cards for people new to the tarot and interested to start on the journey.
Best Wishes
AEWaiteforme (Peoples!!)

AEWaiteforme

Tarot

Post by AEWaiteforme » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:15 am

Hello Harleygirl,
seeing i just became a 'member' and have a 25 message obligation!!......i thought i'd reply to your post.
Not that i'm an expert, but i found the first thing to do is take your deck and pull out the Major Arcana. These are the ones with the titles...such as The High Priestess, or The Star etc.
Just look at them for a while and come up with your own interpretations......no matter how silly they may seem.....this will plant the seed for a more deeper understanding, which will come with time and perseverance....i promise!!

Theres also a good website.....an occult library.....www.hermetics.org......there are many interesting books there

One last thing......i recomend the Major Arcana first, because the Minor Arcana is way more esoteric and deals with the forces of nature which are pretty much kept hidden, whereas the Major Arcana is more directly related to the 'self'.....each card is like a snap shot of an aspect of your personality, thats why you should just look for now.....your inner self will understand what your looking at and with time that knowledge will rise to the surface.

anyway happy hunting
take care
kind regards
AEWaite4me

Return to “Introduce Yourself”