Skeptic, Atheist, former believer in alternative medicine and mediums

Welcome to mysticboard.org. Introduce yourself to other members here. Invite your friends here and post your welcome messages.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

commonsense

Skeptic, Atheist, former believer in alternative medicine and mediums

Post by commonsense » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:40 am

As the topic suggests.. I realy have no belief or 'faith' in the subjects discussed here, I came merely to see how long a skeptic would last and to wonder at some of the things people can be deluded into believing..

And given that you are lucky enough to read this post, before it, and all other posts by this user are removed, I would question whether your belief in the things you believe in is so fragile, that a mere hint of criticism and challenge is too much to handle?

My pet peve is Homeopathy, which is a bogus scam in my opinion... and I'm only going by the meta analysis of the studies that show it is nothing more than a placebo...

also.. Mediums, psychics, all bogus too in my opinion... why don't we believe that magicians who do card tricks are supernatural?  right... because they tell us its not real and some of us even know their tricks... well some of us know medium and psychic tricks too... but people still believe...... quite amazing..

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:35 am

hello,

we welcome skeptics as well as experts on this forum :)

Maybe there is some truth in all the above and I hope you do have interesting discussions!

Swetha

bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 am

Hi I was a skeptic for most of my life.  However I had begun to really look deep into the spiritual side of what is being discussed here and believe me.  You'll find that after you've done some of the exercises here you won't be skeptical anymore :D

Psyphter

Hello skeptic........

Post by Psyphter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

A couple of years ago...I would have staked my life on some beliefs...that I now realize was limiting my thinking.  You mentioned the placebo effect.  Science is proving that the mind , how you think, what you believe has a great impact on your results.  The problem is that it works both ways.....if you believe it won't work...it probably won't.     I always wondered why some  
prayers and meditations or thoughts seemed to bring about desired results and others didn't.   Thoughts are vibrations (science)  and magnetic in a way.  Many people although they "pray"  using words that sound positive...but it is coming from a fear base, doubting etc..their focus at the base is on what they don't want ....words cannot mask the fear based energy.....and the results they want are not there.  And they would be correct in saying it doesn't work for them.....reinforcing there skepticism.  People don't want to recognize or take responsibility for their thinking and want a system that  rewards "actions" only....

You should watch the movie....What the Bleep do we know.....

Once I made the connection that Thoughts are magnetic things and people are transmitters and receivers of energy (vibrations)...It is a very easy step to accept and embrace these things that you doubt.

Psyphter

rims4a

Post by rims4a » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Homeopathy a placebo?  Have you tried it?

Common sense would suggest that to be skeptical one must have some sort of proof to be one. At least some experiences to validate. One just could not pass judgment without any reason whatsoever other then one does not believe. Homeopathy works even even if one disbelieves. Unless one have 'treatment' from a quack or who claims to be a homeopathy practitioner.

3xcharm

Post by 3xcharm » Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

It is perfectly all right to be a skeptic.  It is a necessary stage we all go through in order to arrive to our final destination and purpose.  The most important thing is that you look for the answers within, not without.  Deep in your heart you always know what is the truth and what is not, what is real what is not, what is and what is not.  So, just enjoy being a skeptic, do not fight it, do it full-heartedly and have fun with it. And remember, it is merely your mind that is the skeptic. Your heart already knows the answers.

StormGirl Blue

Post by StormGirl Blue » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 pm

lol welcome CommonSense,
wow you have the most active introduction yet ! :)
I echo the sentiments of others who welcome you and appreciate your views.
I believe that it is important for all of us to be challenged in our beliefs and we should question and re-evaluate instead of following a flock like mentality.

I agree also, there IS a whole lot of crap out there, sadly the garbage and nonsense tarnishes us all.

I believe in some things but not in others

enumero123

Post by enumero123 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm

welcome CommonSense, no better place for a skeptic ? atheist ? to be, then among people who do .in saying, i myself doubt and am skeptic of your skepticism. why would one of your nature subject yourself to such a place . if your own faith and belief were not questioned on a personal level   ( faith without works is dead)( we all believe in something) so i do understand at some level  . i to have my own doubt's and questions  ,but i do have a open mind   . i can quote examples all day long of why one should stay clear of  forums and thoughts that are presented here .   i hope you stay around for a while  and voice your opinions

Return to “Introduce Yourself”