Opals....

Know the right astral gems that can make your life progressive

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

adrizim1

Opals....

Post by adrizim1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:19 am

Opals are really beautiful, they used to be one of my fav gems but never give them to anyone....they are supposed to bring bad luck to the person that gets it.....
i read it on a web site....
"*White Opals are unlucky unless worn by someone born in October or with Diamonds. *Very unlucky in an engagement ring. *Will lose its shine if the owner dies. *Renders the wearer invisible. *Improves eyesight. *Will help blondes keep their hair color longer. *Will turn pale if in the presence of poison. *Black opals are lucky. *Useless as a charm to someone who is selfish. *If used for good, it gives the power of prophecy."
Blessed be.

dhana yoga

opal

Post by dhana yoga » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:57 pm

white opal is used as a remedial measure for venus & moon combined.
i love vedic astrology and studing on this subject for 4 years now.

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Opals are beautiful and make lovely presents. The main reason that they are thought to bring bad luck is because they have the sad habit of breaking. Opals have a very high water content and as they dry out during normal wear, the stone tends to crack and fracture and so is thought to imply bad luck. Well cared for, opals can last for many years and be extrememly beautiful and a wonderful calming stone to wear :)

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 pm

I love the way opals look. I went "noodling" in Coober Pedy, Australia (raking through the mined stone, checking for missed pieces) and found $30 worth. It was 50ºC though, so we only did it for a few hours! One of the hottest places on Earth that was.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:20 pm

WOW  50 c how on earth did you survive? and how do you do that little  o  degree thing?

I love the excitement of searching for treasures, so much more rewarding, like looking through the chip bins at stone warehouses lol.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 pm

I have a Spanish keyboard. I am English but have travelled a lot and now live in Gran Canaria where you can only get Spanish keyboards with no pound or euro signs and no proper apostrophes. We had a scirocco here 2 years ago (hot winds from the Sahara) and for 10 minutes it hit 60ºC. I was covering myself in frozen towels and they were hot within 5 minutes. All the swimming pools here were warm. It was dreadful!!

Are big opals expensive then? Or are they considered semi-precious?

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Ha!!  £££££££££  $$$$$$$$$$   lol!  hmmm i will have to copy and paste your little  ºC.  Thought I couldnt see it,  Bet its lovely in Grand Canaria? you lucky thing.

Opals are considered semi-precious gemstones, but they are usually only cut into cabachons, (oval one side , flat base) because faceting is usually impossible due to the fire and opalescence areas causing vugs or pits.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Yes, that´s a point. They are usually rounded aren´t they (not a technical term) and very glittery and sparkly. There is something magical about opals. Most children are fascinated by them, aren´t they? They are so pretty.

Um, and Gran Canaria is nice in some ways and a nightmare in others (but that is fodder for another thread). :)

Kachina

Opals

Post by Kachina » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:22 am

I Love Opals...They are one Sacred Stone that Connects to the Wearer, quickly. I will not wear an opal all the time! Or any jewelry for that matter.

My Ascendant and Earth is in Libra with Neptune in 27 Libra. I am more Libra than my Aries Sun. Libra Loves The Opals!

In My Experience With them, I can say that there are times it puts out a Wide Shield around me. Depending on where or who I am around. The stone itself will let me know who to trust and who not to, hard to explain.

The Opal for Me is above any other stone, even the diamond. Finding the right one for you, is the trick. Finding one that is not cracked is the other trick. The White Ones have never appealed to me, I want the Fire To Shine Through.

Love and Hugs
Kachina
Time To Shine...
Cosmic Blessings
Kachina

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 am

I love the Fire Opals :)  I once saw at a gem show a most beautiful carving of a snake in fire opal, it was a cobra and the flare of his hood was cut so perfectly that the flash of the fire blazed out, sadly I couldn't afford it :( But it has lingered in my memory for years!  One day, perhaps I will come across one like it.

So many cracked opals are filled nowadays and appear perfect, then break later on in wear.

sorceress426

Post by sorceress426 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Opals are truly beautiful little gems. And very hungry ones at that. Don't forget to oil them. It will keep them protected and fed.

You are truly lucky, keep them safe and don't fear wearing them.

pegasaurus

Post by pegasaurus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:06 pm

opals are very beatiful, &nbsp;I finally got my mom to let loose of an opal ring she had that has "fire" opals &nbsp;sadly two out of the seven stones were missing. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;unfortunally, &nbsp;my mom is very tiny, &nbsp;unlike myself who takes after my dad.. < lol > &nbsp; the ring won't even fit on my pinkie... &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; and the setting it's in.. &nbsp;for some reason jewelars &nbsp; can't seem to tell me what it's set in.. &nbsp;its like gold but not. &nbsp; &nbsp; my mom got the ring over in france back in the 60's &nbsp;in a little antique shop. &nbsp;that's no longer there. &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;I love the ring, but have never wanted to wear it since im so ruff with my hands &nbsp;i know i would, loose, break, or what ever to the remaining stones.. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I will tho some &nbsp;day find two more fire opals that match the ones on the ring and have the 7 stones all back in it

richardredhawk

Opals

Post by richardredhawk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 am

The bad luck is associated with the Mexican Opals due to a curse &nbsp;placed on them by The Aztec during the time of the Conquistador's.

Care for opals
1 never allow the opal to become hot like placing on the dash of a car or laying it in the direct sun for long periods of time
2 never allow the opal to get to freezing temp.
This will cause the water within the opal to boil or freeze causing the opal to crack

Do not use harsh cleansers as this will also cause the opal to fracture &nbsp;do the the caustic nature or abrasiveness of the cleanser

Do not use a sonic jewelry cleaner with any soft stone such turquoise even if it is stabalized or even any of the fire agates or opals as they contain water and the vibrations heat up that water to create cracks within the stone.
Richard RedHawk

starsign20002000

Post by starsign20002000 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:59 am

I have always liked opals. &nbsp;I wore an opal pendant for years. &nbsp;Starryskies I believe you about the temperature at Cobber Pedy. &nbsp;It gets to 47 degrees out where I live in the Outback in Australia.

Return to “Gemology”