Stone setting

Know the right astral gems that can make your life progressive

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

alee

Stone setting

Post by alee » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 am

would love to hear from anyone who does stone setting.

I would like to pick up as a hobby but dont know where to start. over the years, i have collected a few good pieces and now i want to set them in precious metal. Since the high cost of bringing them to jewelers or gold smith, i would like to learn how to set them

can anyone point me to the right direction?

:smt007  :smt007  :smt007  :smt007  :smt007
whispers of the heart

obvious@live.ca

precious metal clay

Post by obvious@live.ca » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:19 pm

although its kind of expensive, sometimes instead of having to learn to set cabs, which means you have to learn to sauder and it does take awhile, precious metal clay can be fun,  all you need is an oven and a blowtorch and something you can blowtorch on, preferable a fire brick...

to set a cab is actually pretty easy once you get over the saudering issue, which can be tichy,

for instant gratification and ease, wire wrapping can be really fun, that is my favourite way of making jewelry, doesnt cost much, you just need a few pairs of pliers and can get a small size set at a beading store for about $20 for the three pairs you need in small size, or can get bigger ones for more....

silver wire isnt very expensive and you can get it online, perhaps better than buying it at the bead store, because the prices will be more in line with the actual cost of the silver, rather than what they payed for it, plus acceptable mark up due to the cost of running a store, and there are quite a few techniques that can make quite a lovely setting, especially if you find the square shaped wire, and the techniques are on the web in various places, probably the best way to start....

then our local high school has summer courses in jewelry work and over a short period of time they will show you how to set a cabochon stone, I have yet to prong set a facetted stone, but those courses are definitely great and usually not to expensive and they will give you a materials list to work with =)

I do love wire wrapping though =)
do no harm =)

alee

Post by alee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 am

wire wrapping is fine but only certain type of stones. some stones just doesnt feel good without good setting....

thanks
whispers of the heart

Return to “Gemology”