Need help with Mirror in the living room

The Chinese way to improve your work and home environments to promote health, happiness, and prosperity.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

DivyaHanabe

Post by DivyaHanabe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 pm

hi,

I live in a rented apartment. The whole wall (untill the cealing) above the fire place in the living room is covered with a Mirror. I would like to know if this is good or bad according to Feng Shui. If its bad, is there anything that we can do about it. Please help.
Thanks
Di

oe1964

Post by oe1964 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 am

Mirrors in a room doesn't affect chi (energy) according to traditional Chinese Feng Shui, unless a metal element is needed for a remedy.  Mirrors are only for decoration and to make a room look bigger.  I can not tell you if the mirror is bad for your apartment or not. You may try to partially cover it will some hanging silk-like fabric to make it more obscure, but that is not feng shui technically.  However, let your intuition tell you what to do if you can not afford or have the ability in your area to have a feng shui master analyze your home.  If there is an uncomfortable, non-relaxing feeling then there is probably some type of “sha” (negative energy) affecting your space.

RobinSongsmith

Mirrors in Feng Shui

Post by RobinSongsmith » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Mirrors are not really a part of traditional Feng Shui.  They are a surface like any other surface, to which chi responds by flowing over it.  Many experts say that they "deflect" the chi but there is nothing to back this kind of theory.  

However, that said, any large overbearing object in a room can give the residents a feeling of pressure or imbalance in the room.  For designing purposes, you may want to replace the mirror with a smaller one or even with a painting or picture.

CityHunter

Post by CityHunter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:52 pm

I have to disagree with their remarks.  Mirrors are a major factor in feng shui.  It can give either a blessing or a curse depending on how its used.  Mirrors are gateways and not just containment units for bad chi.  The question that needs to be asked is what is in front of that mirror.  

As its the living room then there is a possibility that it reflects the main door, dining room and kitchen.  Nothing wrong with that.  The problem lies IF it reflects your bedroom or any bedroom.  Ditto for the stairs.  

What oe1964 mentioned thoughis correct.  From experience, that negative chi that you may feel would mean that you have unseen forces with you in your home.  The question would be did you do the proper procedure for cleansing AND blessing?

lilmogirl

About mirrors

Post by lilmogirl » Fri May 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Read “The Complete Idiot's Guide To Feng Shui” ~ Editions 1, 2 & 3. The writers of these books consulted a traditional feng shui master. If we, in the Western world, are going to practice a Chinese art and science, or any other cultures arts for that matter, doesn't make sense to learn it the way it should be practiced? If a traditional feng shui master says that mirrors have no effect in feng shui, would we not listen to him/her?

These books reveal that there are many misconceptions floating around about feng shui, in the Western world, and many so called (Western) masters are capitalizing on these misconceptions. If we are going to practice feng shui we owe it to ourselves learn what these misconceptions are.

Feng shui is about improving your life and the lives of your loved ones. Not for some so called feng shui (Western) master to prosper on misinformed minds, on the unsuspecting. Feng shui is designed to bring you prosperity, not to make you pay for things you don't need or to make you believe things that have no effect or bearing on the situation.

Lilmogirl

PS: I do realize that the original post on this subject is a bit dated but I wanted to bring up my thoughts about the question for future readers.

Return to “Feng Shui”