Basics

The Chinese way to improve your work and home environments to promote health, happiness, and prosperity.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sarahh

Basics

Post by sarahh » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:15 pm

I am interested in learning feng shui.
Anyone willing to share the basics?

sarahh

Post by sarahh » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:16 pm

or
If you can give me links to learning the basics, it will be helpful

yoyocue

Post by yoyocue » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 am

Hi,

I am from China. My English may not be good. I will try to tell you as my best.
The basic theory is I-Ching. You need to know 5 elements in Fehng-shui. There are many different kinds of Feng-shui.
The most famous is Xuankong. This theroy is very difficult because some theroy are real/true and some are fake.
Most of real theroy are from teacher's oral. If you read the Feng-shui in Chinese, you will have the hard time to find out the truth. Even you read the Feng-shui in English, you need to know the author first. Sometimes, the author may not learn the true theory.

I think any English Feng-Shui book can teach you basic.
  I followed the Xuankong teacher 3 years and learn Feng-shui by myslef 6 years. I can not tell you I am a master in Feng-shui because there are many reasons to affect the result.
In Chinese astrology/Feng-shui, we have been told that the first prioty to affect your life is your fate, second is your dasha, third is Feng-shui, and forth is reading/studying.
There are so many examples to tell you that you will not get a good Feng-shui if you do not have the good period at your fate.

aaronwong

Post by aaronwong » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi yoyocue,

I am new in chinese astrology/feng shui too.Does it means fate comes in whatever and can't change much in our luck if we audit feng shui in our
unlucky period.

Thx

yoyocue

Post by yoyocue » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi aaronwong,

Mmmm.. Half is right and half is wrong. From my point of view, your fate/destiny and your dasha/Yun are 50%, Fengshui is 20%, your kindness(helping people) is 20% and your hard-working is 10%. Fengshui is the supporting tool for your desntiy.

If you are at auspicious time of fate, you will get more benfits by good Feng-shui and you will get less benfits if your house or company's location is in bad Feng-shui, but you still get the benfits.

Most of people did not know Feng-shui. If he is at the auspicious time period and he buys the house, he will choose a good house for him. Even he chose a bad house, but he will be ability to move out that bad house. Why? Because his fate helps him. You can say he is lucky.

If you are at the bad period of your fate and even you choose a good house, you "may" move out from a good house because you got financial problem. There is a trick here. It is your kindness. If you are at bad period and you have a good heart to help people, your fate will be changed and you may be luck to find out the good house or change your life quality if you live in a bad house. In Chinese Fengshui, they believe you will also get a good house if you help people a lot.

But, most of Fengshui masters did not consider your fate/destiny. If they tell you you are at bad time, they can not earn money from you. If you already bought a house, why we tell you the house does not fit on you?

Chinese Feng-shui is the complicated theory. You need to consider your living environment first and then arrange your living place. If you buy a new house and the other new house is building around your house, your living environment is changing every day and it will affects you in the future.
Now I said is Fengshui for the house/the company and there is another Fengshui for graves/tomb.

aaronwong

Post by aaronwong » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 am

Hi yoyocue,

Understand what you have explain so far and thanks

sarahh

Post by sarahh » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:54 pm

yoyocue wrote:Hi,

I am from China. My English may not be good. I will try to tell you as my best.
The basic theory is I-Ching. You need to know 5 elements in Fehng-shui. There are many different kinds of Feng-shui.
The most famous is Xuankong. This theroy is very difficult because some theroy are real/true and some are fake.
Most of real theroy are from teacher's oral. If you read the Feng-shui in Chinese, you will have the hard time to find out the truth. Even you read the Feng-shui in English, you need to know the author first. Sometimes, the author may not learn the true theory.

I think any English Feng-Shui book can teach you basic.
  I followed the Xuankong teacher 3 years and learn Feng-shui by myslef 6 years. I can not tell you I am a master in Feng-shui because there are many reasons to affect the result.
In Chinese astrology/Feng-shui, we have been told that the first prioty to affect your life is your fate, second is your dasha, third is Feng-shui, and forth is reading/studying.
There are so many examples to tell you that you will not get a good Feng-shui if you do not have the good period at your fate.

Thank you.

what is dasha?

If you can suggest some online places to learn these basics, it would help.
or could you down a FEW BASICS?

again Thanks

yoyocue

Post by yoyocue » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi sarahh,

A Dasha is a planetary period in Jyotisha or Vedic astrology. If you know Chinese, it will be Yun.
You have a natal chart/birth chart and also have period times on your native chart. In Vedic astrology, it is called dashas. In Chinese astrology, it is called Yun. You can know what happens on you currently thru dashas/Yun.

It is hard to give you overview here.
  You need to know Yin and Yan, five elements, 8 directions, and 8 gwas. These are basics.
  I know they use eight Zhais (eight directions) on many English Fengshui books.
  This theory is for the beginner. It is simple, but also difficult because you need to know five elements connection. Some FengShui masters only use this theory to arrange your house.

I think you can read English Fengshui books on the market first.
You need to find out the book to teach you Yin, Yan, 5 elements, and 8 gwas, then find a master you can trust.

The most popular is eight Zhais and the most famous is Xuankong in Chinese Fengshui.

yoyocue

Post by yoyocue » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:27 am

I found out a article.

wofs.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=38&task=view&id=498

suhreel

Post by suhreel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:53 am

Thanks yoyo, that article is great!
If you want a destiny...THEN MAKE ONE!

silkconcepts

Post by silkconcepts » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:09 am

Hi sarahh

My first suggestion is to check books out from your library to see if you understand them before buying them. Lillian Too has some great easy reading books on basic feng shui as well as 8 mansion and flying star. There is also a great one from Eva Wong "A Master Course in Feng Shui" don't let the name scare you. It just means it goes more in depth  from the basic DIY books. Another one I found really helpful is "Flying Star Feng Shui" from Stephen Skinner. Here's an article from LT's site on flying star you might find helpful.

http://www.wofs.com/index.php?option=co ... iew&id=321

She has a lot of helpful info on her site as well as in her forum.
silkconcepts

tootsiewon

Hi!

Post by tootsiewon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:03 am

I, as well, like Lillian Too's articles.  Her website is filled with useful information.  

Be careful, however, when buying "cures" and other items from ANY Feng Shui site.  

My Chinese friend, Dan, reminds me that Feng Shui has been around for a very long time.  Most people, over the centuries, had no access to some of the luxurious items sold on Feng Shui sites.  "So," he says, "Why buy a pair of fancy wu-lou when a pair of gourds will do just as well?"  I think this is good advice.  Maybe something that you make or find in your own environment will have just as much validity as something you buy from some retailer.  

Here are some of the ordinary things I found:

A soldier on a white horse - on a mug with a hinged cover.  One of my kids found it at a garage sale.

I made my own 5-element pagoda...it was easy, I just looked at the ones I found online and created my own.  

I ran across a bunch of bamboo flutes with windchimes hanging off of them.  It wasn't hard to figure out what to do with them!  I paid $2 each.

At an end-of-summer K-Mart sale, I found some terrific garden ornaments for $5 each:  a three-legged frog, a turtle, some mandarin ducks and several stepping stones.  

Since it was headed for the garbage, I snapped up my grandma's old crystal chandelier and took all the crystals off of it.  (It was pretty beaten up and had been in the garage for years.)  I laugh every time I see the exact same shapes sold online for some riduculous amount!

The point is that Feng Shui has its roots in simple folk.  So, take the advice you receive but look around you for the simpler ways to make it work for you.  Chances are, you'll feel more at home with the items you place in your home.

silkconcepts

Post by silkconcepts » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:19 am

I agree tootsiewon.  

Feng Shui is about creating harmony and balance within your environment. It wasn't about the purchasing of knick knacks. If you're into the objects that are sold on these sites then more power to you but if not then get items that blend with your environment. Chi will not flow well if you're dissatisfied with the things around you.

comfort29

Post by comfort29 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:56 am

Those are some great examples Tootsiewon of things you can find.  my mom found me a cat statue with both paws up at Goodwill last month.  You definately can find things out there.  But it is hard to not buy into the 'quick fixes' when if you just get it flowing it works out.

lisamarie

Post by lisamarie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:31 am

Hello yoyocue!
I hope you still visit ...I noticed your replies and I think you might be able to help me with a few questions on the Four Pillars, also Eight luck Pillars, if you won't mind?
My questions involve interpretation.  First, let me give you this: (my chart)

Phase            Hour                     Day                Month             Year
                     7:29                     24                   Feb.                  1964
Stem             +earth WU         -wood YI         +wood JIA      +earth WU
Branch           -wood YI            (empty)          +fire BING      -wood YI
                    -water GUI         (empty)           +earth WU     -water GUI

Now, I did my 8 luck pillars also, and this particular 10 year cycle began when I was 37,  so I'm towards the end of this one as I am now 43;

37 years old - 47 years old
Stem:    Water
Branch: Earth
Next 10 year luck period 47 years - 57 years old
Stem:   Metal
Branch: Metal

Okay.  so I can interpret that from the lack of metal in my Four Pillars, means it is my favorable phase(?)  Metal is favorable for me.  Now, how then can I figure on my unfavorable phase?  Would it be wood? Because I have mostly wood?
I see that my DayMaster is -wood YI, and is vibrant.  So, according to this, I would have a strong chart?
If you could also tell me, if this is a correct reading: (I am not so sure I got this one correct)

DayMaster is wood (vibrant)
Rescource star is water (retiring)
Performance star is fire (ready)
Power star is metal (inactive)
Wealth star is earth (weak)
Parallel star is wood (vibrant)

If you could tell me that I have read this correctly, then I will know at least I'm understanding what I have been reading.  I have no one to help me when I get confused, so I'm hoping that you might be able to, or anyone else who happens to read this.  Of course I have other questions, but I don't want to load you up on them at this time, hahahahaha. I am looking for a house, and over the past year my health has been a big issue.  After I began reading about Flying Star Feng Shui, I realized the house I am living in now is not good for my health, nor is my bedroom location.  I am willing to make some changes for good health, etc...if I can know that what I have learned so far, I am understanding.
I am so grateful if you could help, or anyone else could help.
Lisamarie
P.S.  Of course, I could pay for a reading, but I do not know who to trust.  If you have any referrals, please let me know.   :)

Return to “Feng Shui”