north west bathroom

The Chinese way to improve your work and home environments to promote health, happiness, and prosperity.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

tt1

north west bathroom

Post by tt1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

hello,
I have just been given a beginners book on feng shui. There is a lot to consider which is a little confusing for me at the moment.
My front door is SW which is a good start but I have a north west bathroom which from what i read isn't ideal and I was looking for info on what the best things were to improve things are. And I know you lot on here are all experts and will know straight away.   :)

astroace

Post by astroace » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 am

Hi tt1,

There's nothing wrong with the bathroom in the NW sector of the house. It will not affect the feng shui of the house nor will it cause you any misfortune. If it is in a bad sector, you have nothing to loose but if it is in a good sector, you may not be able to utilize the full effect of the good star due to the space taken up by the bathroom.

What you need to do is to keep it lighted, clean and dry because the yin energy caused by humidity will spread to the surrounding area. The best remedy is to install an exhaust fan to ventilate the air, keep the place tidy and neat. There must be natural light, if not install some energy saving lights. Keep the bathroom door closed at all times. Lastly place a green potted plant near the window because it will produce oxygen when there are sunlight. Replace with a fresh green plant when the current one is turning yellowish. ( Plants are living things too and they also need R&R ). You may also install an electric air ionizer for better air quality.

As North West-2 sector is Chien, and it represent the Patriach. the joke is if the toilet or bathroom is dirty, the man of the house will be affected and will feel dirty too. Don't worry as long as you keep the place clean and tidy.

Feng Shui is all about balance and harmony

Best Regards,
astroace

tt1

Post by tt1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for that astroace...there's a lot to take in.   My bathroom is very small so not a lot to get untidy, and its nice and bright so looking good - but I will get a plant as you suggested  :)

CityHunter

Post by CityHunter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Yup, astroace is correct that plants help improve the chi that gets into the bathroom.  As its in the Northwest sector it affects the Helpful Friends and Mentors aspect.  As long as no one is having major problems with regards to those then don't worry too much about it :)

In feng shui as well as basic etiquette, the bathroom reflects how the occupants really are.  A dirty bathroom means the inhabitants lack focus, are negative, etc.  Its the first room I always ask and inspect when I go either to an office or home.

tt1

Post by tt1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm

actually cityhunter i dont have any helpful friends or mentors - well maybe one, and work colleagues are not really helpful at all ( i have a very competitive work environment) Will this be because of my bathroom - if so what can I do to improve things?  :smt017

CityHunter

Post by CityHunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 am

He he.  You are experiencing the curse of the modern age.  When its financial matters you focus always on the bathroom and septic tank if you have one.  For non-material problems such as health and relationships you always focus on your bedroom - or the bedroom of the subject for that matter.  If you have stairs in your home and you have anything that is connected directly with you such as photos, artworks you did yourself, etc. remove them as the stairs are also a major negative chi generator.

But, a plant in one's room isn't easy to implement as the wrong variety will produce the wrong result.  Its better to first remove anything that reflects your bed or cover it.  

For problems at the workplace, its best to first improve your own work area.  Again, a plant on or near your table will help you gain more stress release.

tt1

Post by tt1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks CityHunter  :)

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 am

Hi CityHunter!

(Heh, I remember that anime...! And the movie!)

So as my toilet (and part of the bathroom) is in my 8/6/4 area (as is half of my bedroom), what would you focus on?
(The other half of my bedroom is 6/8/2).

The only plant I have is small bamboo, which is currently in the 4/1/9 part of the living room.

Thank you!
CityHunter wrote:He he.  You are experiencing the curse of the modern age.  When its financial matters you focus always on the bathroom and septic tank if you have one.  For non-material problems such as health and relationships you always focus on your bedroom - or the bedroom of the subject for that matter.  If you have stairs in your home and you have anything that is connected directly with you such as photos, artworks you did yourself, etc. remove them as the stairs are also a major negative chi generator.

But, a plant in one's room isn't easy to implement as the wrong variety will produce the wrong result.  Its better to first remove anything that reflects your bed or cover it.

CityHunter

Post by CityHunter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi, kunoichi :)  He he.  Yup, I borrowed my handle from that anime as basically I'm a troubleshooter too - although I sure wish I could dispatch the problems easily with just a shot.

A bamboo plant is okay to have in one's place wherever it may be as it symbolizes growth and activity.  The only bad thing about it is having it near your bed as it may induce restless sleep.  This is one reason why adding plants in one's sleeping quarters must be studied to avoid such happenings.

When doing real feng shui audit for oneself or for others you need to really first do you birth or life chart.  This way you can know which areas of your life needs improvement and/or remedied.  The problem is that there aren't a lot of teachers out there who would really teach you the complete real stuff and most books are incomplete or sometimes misleading.  I find that my abilities to forecast well isn't satisfactory yet with just using the 4 Pillars and Purple Star - its good enough for many but as a Metal Dog person I am for perfection or at least as close to it as possible.  Sure wish I could learn Qi Men Dun Jia too.

Luck made it happen that I meet a friend who is a guru in vedic astrology - take note that from vastu did feng shui take root.  The good thing about vedic is that they got to preserve a lot of their original references unlike the Chinese which lost the originals and fakes were spread to keep the real stuff just for the royalties to use.

But to answer your question as I know learning forecasting isn't something one can do in one sitting - ha, I do my geomancy computations by long hand and always do triple checks too just to make sure I did the math right before interpreting it - you are not to worry on the placement of your plant for now.  Wherever it may be as long as its within your space then its okay as chi or the cosmic energy circulates from one area to another.  

Focus your energies more on developing further your inner chi and attunement to God and Nature.  Remember, these 2 are important things which make up the trinity of luck.  

How to apply this to your bathroom.  First, make sure its always kept clean after every use.  Feng shui states that it spreads bad chi for a bathroom that is dirty will spread sickness and disease.  More so if its near one's kitchen.  Basic science can prove that.  Now, having a plant inside helps improve the chi by it absorbing some toxins and improving the oxygen levels - most bathrooms nowadays don't have windows anymore for ventilation :P

The other thing why its important to have a plant in a bathroom wherever it may be located is because for some reason - this is a branch of feng shui one rarely encounters until such time one really has unusual problems - unnatural forces use it as a "doorway" to your home.  This is why most experienced feng shui/vastu auditors always ask and inspect first your bathroom(s) and bedroom(s).

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 pm

CityHunter wrote:Hi, kunoichi :)  He he.  Yup, I borrowed my handle from that anime as basically I'm a troubleshooter too - although I sure wish I could dispatch the problems easily with just a shot.
Heh, if only it were true, you could certainly fix my house just by shooting it!!
CityHunter wrote:A bamboo plant is okay to have in one's place wherever it may be as it symbolizes growth and activity.  The only bad thing about it is having it near your bed as it may induce restless sleep.  This is one reason why adding plants in one's sleeping quarters must be studied to avoid such happenings.
Lucky there is a bathroom and a toilet/hallway between my bedroom and the bamboo plant! I know it's bad to keep plants in the bedrooms, in general. But I read you talking about putting a cactus in the toilet, but the toilet is next to my bedroom!
CityHunter wrote:When doing real feng shui audit for oneself or for others you need to really first do you birth or life chart.  This way you can know which areas of your life needs improvement and/or remedied.  The problem is that there aren't a lot of teachers out there who would really teach you the complete real stuff and most books are incomplete or sometimes misleading.  I find that my abilities to forecast well isn't satisfactory yet with just using the 4 Pillars and Purple Star - its good enough for many but as a Metal Dog person I am for perfection or at least as close to it as possible.  Sure wish I could learn Qi Men Dun Jia too.
I know that I am Jia Yang Wood, and it's weak, if that helps? I think that's a weak day master? Anyway, I don't really understand that very well, except some say that I should wear water or wood colours, and focus on jobs of those elements. Too bad I'm studying archaeology, which would be earth!
CityHunter wrote:Luck made it happen that I meet a friend who is a guru in vedic astrology - take note that from vastu did feng shui take root.  The good thing about vedic is that they got to preserve a lot of their original references unlike the Chinese which lost the originals and fakes were spread to keep the real stuff just for the royalties to use.
I'll have to have a look into that, thank you!
CityHunter wrote:But to answer your question as I know learning forecasting isn't something one can do in one sitting - ha, I do my geomancy computations by long hand and always do triple checks too just to make sure I did the math right before interpreting it - you are not to worry on the placement of your plant for now.  Wherever it may be as long as its within your space then its okay as chi or the cosmic energy circulates from one area to another.  

Focus your energies more on developing further your inner chi and attunement to God and Nature.  Remember, these 2 are important things which make up the trinity of luck.  
Heh. Easier to say than to do, unfortunately...!!
CityHunter wrote:How to apply this to your bathroom.  First, make sure its always kept clean after every use.  Feng shui states that it spreads bad chi for a bathroom that is dirty will spread sickness and disease.  More so if its near one's kitchen.  Basic science can prove that.  Now, having a plant inside helps improve the chi by it absorbing some toxins and improving the oxygen levels - most bathrooms nowadays don't have windows anymore for ventilation :P
And that's my bathroom and the toilet - no windows, just walls and fans for ventilation! But thanks for the tip - my housemate and I try to keep the whole house clean, including these rooms!
CityHunter wrote:The other thing why its important to have a plant in a bathroom wherever it may be located is because for some reason - this is a branch of feng shui one rarely encounters until such time one really has unusual problems - unnatural forces use it as a "doorway" to your home.  This is why most experienced feng shui/vastu auditors always ask and inspect first your bathroom(s) and bedroom(s).
What sort of plant would you suggest, and particular breed?

Thank you so much for your help!

CityHunter

Post by CityHunter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:17 am

Hi, kunoichi - doesn't this mean first brother?  

Ha ha, we could only use pellets to improve one's house by shooting any cockroach or such pests but my Buddhist friends will be aghast at that idea.

Having a toilet next to one's bedroom is bad.  Take note that most old living space designs have outhouses - both here in Asia and that of the Western world.  It was only for convenience and limited space was it moved closer.  Per professional experience, most bedrooms with a connecting toilet which isn't feng shui remedied experience serious problems mostly related to health and relationships.  As its more costly and impractical to do away with the toilet the best solution then is to negate that bad "influence" which the toilet imparts - by placing something that is powerful enough to do that.  What I originally prescribe to my clients is to use the salt solution but its not an easy process to maintain and in most areas I found out that its not easy anymore to get natural rock, sea or mineral salt - the latter being too costly too.  Hence, the more practical solution is to get something that is low maintenance yet able to do the job - a plant then is the best candidate for this job with the cacti variety being the best.  Take note that if used in an ordinary living space a cacti is bad in feng shui as it "kills" the chi but in a toilet the majority of chi there is either stagnant or bad.  Hence, it will effectively kill or be killed by that.  If the latter happens that's the time we need to upgrade the solution.

Take note that as in vedic as well as feng shui there is no such thing as a "weak" person or sign.  You just need to realize where your strengths and weaknesses lies.  A Wood type like yours is suited for continually evolving to progress in this world.  Take note too that there is no such thing as coincidence.  Everything happens for a reason.  Just note of all the posters and visitors to this forum.  They chanced upon this for a reason.  

Take note too of how books and most so-called "masters" describe solutions to help remedy your situation.  Wearing something of the water or wood element will not generally help you.  What the real feng shui states is that you need to be flexible and continually learn new things to overcome your situation.  Let's apply that to archeology - which isn't bad by the way and I would love to study it too especially if its going to make me something like Indiana Jones :D  Archeology is about learning of the past to know why we are so at the present.  This is learning which fits a Wood type.  For you to maximize your success in this field you need to share this knowledge and gather information too from others and share it again.  You can also adapt this old knowledge to current or future trends - hence, its possible that you can be a successful lecturer and consultant at the same time.  Both requiring travel too which is of the Water element.

What you are to avoid is injecting too much or too inflexible reasonings which are of the Fire and Metal elements respectively.

To improve your focus on your archeology study you also need to clear and refocus yourself often.  This is the main weakness of the Wood type as you need to purge all those negative factors often so that your mind is always fresh to accept and introduce new ideas AND solutions.  

To develop better your inner chi the old school method requires you to undergo martial arts training as well as healing arts training.  This is because you learn to balance the Yin and Yang of not only yourself but of others and the nature that surrounds you.  I just don't like the watered down versions commonly sold as real martial arts nowadays and that extreme combat shown in TV bastardizes the real meaning of martial art.  Your best start then is to find a basic guide of something that you like on both areas.  I suggest you look up on the subject of Qi Gong.  Falun Gong I think used a mix of both with weird interpretations so avoid that for now.  Ha ha, just don't follow those training sessions done in old martial arts movies as you need a good master to help you heal afterwards.  The other art that I know that is as good is Tai Chi or even better yet if you chance upon a guru that can really teach you Tetada Kalimasada.  It has both healing and combat aspects but the latter is mostly kept secret.  Its what our Philippine Marine Force Recon are being taught nowadays.  

You can also learn different subjects with one for martial arts and another for the healing aspect.  

Why is it important to learn both to achieve better harmony within yourself?  For not only do you maintain and/or improve your body's positive chi but also improve those of your surroundings AND earn good karma points.  Karma speaks of returns for things done.  The trick which you are to learn in the future is how to WITHDRAW that good karma you have deposited.  You do this by tapping into the first aspect of luck - God luck.  You cannot withdraw your good karma points not unless you have attuned yourself to Him.  It need not be a specific religion BUT you need to believe in the existence of God.

Back to your toilet issue :D  As yours doesn't have a window you will need then to buy two (2) potted live cactus plants.  This way you can rotate them every few days so that they could have sunlight.  It would've been easier if you have a window in your comfort room as you can place it on the windowsill or where the sun will shine longer.

Again, any of the cacti variety will do.  No need to have any specific cacti but the bigger the better just be practical about the size as if its like those you see in the desert I'd doubt one would find it easy to use the toilet with that :)

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 am

CityHunter wrote:Hi, kunoichi - doesn't this mean first brother?
In this case, it's a Japanese word that is used for 'female ninja'!!
CityHunter wrote:Having a toilet next to one's bedroom is bad.  Take note that most old living space designs have outhouses - both here in Asia and that of the Western world.  It was only for convenience and limited space was it moved closer.  Per professional experience, most bedrooms with a connecting toilet which isn't feng shui remedied experience serious problems mostly related to health and relationships.  As its more costly and impractical to do away with the toilet the best solution then is to negate that bad "influence" which the toilet imparts - by placing something that is powerful enough to do that.  What I originally prescribe to my clients is to use the salt solution but its not an easy process to maintain and in most areas I found out that its not easy anymore to get natural rock, sea or mineral salt - the latter being too costly too.  Hence, the more practical solution is to get something that is low maintenance yet able to do the job - a plant then is the best candidate for this job with the cacti variety being the best.  Take note that if used in an ordinary living space a cacti is bad in feng shui as it "kills" the chi but in a toilet the majority of chi there is either stagnant or bad.  Hence, it will effectively kill or be killed by that.  If the latter happens that's the time we need to upgrade the solution.
Sea salt is very expensive, but you can get it at health food shops!
But does it matter that the bedroom cupboard is between the bedroom and toilet, so that the cupboard (built in, not a movable piece) is entirely covering the toilet - so the toilet connects to the back wall of the cupboard and not the bedroom wall?

I might have a look in about cacti...
CityHunter wrote:Take note that as in vedic as well as feng shui there is no such thing as a "weak" person or sign.  You just need to realize where your strengths and weaknesses lies.  A Wood type like yours is suited for continually evolving to progress in this world.  Take note too that there is no such thing as coincidence.  Everything happens for a reason.  Just note of all the posters and visitors to this forum.  They chanced upon this for a reason.
I know that weak doesn't mean bad, it is more along the lines of being independant...? I seem to have an abundant of wealth in the chart, but it might be okay as I have a lot of parallel, but not quite as much as wealth. Anyway, it's goot to know about wood being about growing and evolving!
CityHunter wrote:Let's apply that to archeology - which isn't bad by the way and I would love to study it too especially if its going to make me something like Indiana Jones :D  Archeology is about learning of the past to know why we are so at the present.  This is learning which fits a Wood type.  For you to maximize your success in this field you need to share this knowledge and gather information too from others and share it again.  You can also adapt this old knowledge to current or future trends - hence, its possible that you can be a successful lecturer and consultant at the same time.  Both requiring travel too which is of the Water element.
Heh, I wish it was like Indiana Jones...!!! Too bad it's mostly paperwork. *laugh* But yes, I love to write about ancient Egypt and post it online ( http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/ ), so that certainly helps. Now all I need is to get some travel happening ....!!
CityHunter wrote:What you are to avoid is injecting too much or too inflexible reasonings which are of the Fire and Metal elements respectively.
Academia is so static and hard to change even with evidence... but I don't like that. I like new ideas!
CityHunter wrote:To improve your focus on your archeology study you also need to clear and refocus yourself often.  This is the main weakness of the Wood type as you need to purge all those negative factors often so that your mind is always fresh to accept and introduce new ideas AND solutions.

To develop better your inner chi the old school method requires you to undergo martial arts training as well as healing arts training.  This is because you learn to balance the Yin and Yang of not only yourself but of others and the nature that surrounds you.  I just don't like the watered down versions commonly sold as real martial arts nowadays and that extreme combat shown in TV bastardizes the real meaning of martial art.  Your best start then is to find a basic guide of something that you like on both areas.  I suggest you look up on the subject of Qi Gong.  Falun Gong I think used a mix of both with weird interpretations so avoid that for now.  Ha ha, just don't follow those training sessions done in old martial arts movies as you need a good master to help you heal afterwards.  The other art that I know that is as good is Tai Chi or even better yet if you chance upon a guru that can really teach you Tetada Kalimasada.  It has both healing and combat aspects but the latter is mostly kept secret.  Its what our Philippine Marine Force Recon are being taught nowadays.
I did tai chi for a while, when they were doing it at lunch times at a place of previous employment. I might have to look into it again...!
CityHunter wrote:Why is it important to learn both to achieve better harmony within yourself?  For not only do you maintain and/or improve your body's positive chi but also improve those of your surroundings AND earn good karma points.  Karma speaks of returns for things done.  The trick which you are to learn in the future is how to WITHDRAW that good karma you have deposited.  You do this by tapping into the first aspect of luck - God luck.  You cannot withdraw your good karma points not unless you have attuned yourself to Him.  It need not be a specific religion BUT you need to believe in the existence of God.
I do believe in the existance of God, so that's a good start. I believe in the teachings of Christianity.
CityHunter wrote:Back to your toilet issue :D  As yours doesn't have a window you will need then to buy two (2) potted live cactus plants.  This way you can rotate them every few days so that they could have sunlight.  It would've been easier if you have a window in your comfort room as you can place it on the windowsill or where the sun will shine longer.

Again, any of the cacti variety will do.  No need to have any specific cacti but the bigger the better just be practical about the size as if its like those you see in the desert I'd doubt one would find it easy to use the toilet with that :)
I'll see what I can find...! Thank you very much. ^_^

Return to “Feng Shui”