Placing of Idol or Photo of God

An Indian architectural science that brings about well being and happiness by principles based on direction

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

Placing of Idol or Photo of God

Post by swetha » Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 am

which is the correct position for placing the idols or photos of God? different people seem to say different things??

nehakad

Post by nehakad » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:14 pm

idols are not good to be kept in houses. photos can be kept facing east.

rustamg

Post by rustamg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:17 am

There are different theories regarding this . Now according to logic, the sun rises from the east and east is represented by lord indra. East is the only direction which does not represent anything materialistic .whereas north represents kuber , south represents yama and west represents varun.

While meditating ,  one faces east  so that all the vices and materialistic things are behind you . Now again according to logic you will place the pic of your diety in front of you , so the pics should be placed in the east while meditating.
live today...

yogani65

Facing idols

Post by yogani65 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Hello,

My mandir is kept in east and the idols are facing south east. Is that bad?
Woman of today!

jal

Post by jal » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Usually the North East corner is considered auspicious for a Pooja area.  This could be either with respect to the house or the room.  One thing to bare in mind is that idols or pictures of Diety should not face each other.  Hope that answers your query. Regards.
The Best is yet to come.

Rohiniranjan

Re: Facing idols

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 am

Speaking just for myself, I would ask and *listen* to Gods where they want to be in my home and life, as opposed to what may be happening in the prevailing practice ...!

RR

[quote="yogani65"]Hello,

My mandir is kept in east and the idols are facing south east. Is that bad?[/quote]

sureshbalaraman

re

Post by sureshbalaraman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:43 pm

keep the pics facing east,and you sit facing north...max returns on your preayer will follow..thnx
sb
Suresh Balaraman

pkj

Post by pkj » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:44 am

North East corner is considered auspicious for a Pooja area.  One should worship / offer prayer to God either facing north or East. The photos of God should never face south. So it is better to place photos of God in East facinf west so that you face east while offering prayer.

durga18

Post by durga18 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 am

Ok, I am confused a little. As you have mentioned that we should keep the picture "facing" east and pray toward east. Now how can you face god's pictures to the east, would that mean placing them in the west direction and so they can face east? Or keep the pictures in east and have them face toward west?
Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna!

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:40 pm

[quote="durga18"]Ok, I am confused a little. As you have mentioned that we should keep the picture "facing" east and pray toward east. Now how can you face god's pictures to the east, would that mean placing them in the west direction and so they can face east? Or keep the pictures in east and have them face toward west?[/quote]

At a pooja I attended recently, the murtis were in the north and facing south (Dakshinamurthi)

The householders for whom pooja was being done sat facing north or in other words faced the demigod

The priest sat on the right side of the gods, or in the west, facing East where the source of all energies, symbolically the Sun rises from! That side was left unoccupied so that energy can flow in unobstructed!

Symbols are not random and rituals are based on physical reality!

Physical reality is based on mental and spiritual reality!

It is all connected, there is no magic, no secret!

RR

chinmaya_k

Post by chinmaya_k » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 am

as per my knowledge, east facing is good for keeping the Photos.
-chinmaya

acharyamaitreya

Puja Place

Post by acharyamaitreya » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Photos and Idols of God should be placed in North-East Corner of the plot. The second preference is East and third one is North.
The Pics and Idols of God should face in South-West, West or South respectively. Hope this will clear now.

Thanks
ACHARYA ANUPAM “MAITREYA”
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=45883

Lax29

Post by Lax29 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm

What if the Pooja room is North East of the house but South East of the rooom?

pret1

Post by pret1 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm

no cabinet or anything in more height than the pplace of god shld be there in pooja room

Return to “Vastu Shastra”