I- Ching History

I-Ching or the "Book of Changes" is an ancient Chinese divination manual and book of wisdom. Know more about it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

I- Ching History

Post by swetha » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:16 am

The exact origin of the Chinese I Ching system is unknown. However, it is said that the Chinese sage known as Fu Hsi who became the country's first emperor and successfully united all the Chinese people for the first time and propounded civilization was its first recipient. It is said that this sage found eight trigrams on the shell of a tortoise with a stack of three lines. From these figures, he derived the sixty-four line figures known as ‘kua’ related to Earth, Mankind, and Heaven. This system was refined by Wen during his confinement in 1143 BC by the emperor tyrant Chou Shin. He renamed ‘kua’ and changed their original order. Later, his eldest son Yu overthrew Chou Shin and bestowed the title ‘King’ upon his father. Thus, he was known as King Wen.

King Wen’s younger son Tan who succeeded King Yu was thoroughly instructed in the I Ching by his father and enhanced it further by interpreting the meanings of each of the individual lines of the I Ching and made it complete around 1109 BC. It is said that it was I Ching and the wisdom that it gave to King Wen and his sons that made the dynasty last for 800 years, which is the longest in the history of China. It is said that the history of I Ching or the Book of Changes is as ancient as that of Bible or Vedas. Its circulation has been traced as far back as the Chou Dynasty. Fu Hsi is believed to belong to the era from 2852 BC to 2737 BC and taught his people trawling, animal taming and silkworm keeping. It is said that Confucius also played a role in the constitution of the I Ching and used up at least three book rolls during his painstaking study.

Scout2990

Post by Scout2990 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 am

Thank you for the nice information...

i hope u keep writing more for us

Return to “I-Ching”