New to I-Ching

I-Ching or the "Book of Changes" is an ancient Chinese divination manual and book of wisdom. Know more about it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Tonjha

New to I-Ching

Post by Tonjha » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:06 pm

I have owned an I-Ching set for several years, but have just recently began to try and truly learn to use it.

I'm having a little trouble with understanding how the story included in the book refers to my current concerns. So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to learn to use the I-Ching?

eygt2503

Usage of I-Ching cards

Post by eygt2503 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:43 pm

I have a book and it instructs that I phrase my question into a sentence, change it into numbers (while taking into account the time of asking), to obtain the current and future readings.  However, is it true that I can skip these and just shuffle a pack of 64 cards and read the seventh card from the top of the deck?  However, it also means that I will not get two readings - a current and a future.  Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Many thanks!

babakf

in my experience

Post by babakf » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:59 am

in my case , first I got the iching message wrong, then when it past a long time , I noticed that if I took iching messages as general as possible , it could be the best interpretation.
:)

kstan

where to learn i ching

Post by kstan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:45 am

i am new to i chiong, eager to learn about it, pls advise

bodine47

i ching

Post by bodine47 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:43 pm

watched an interesting show on history channel involving i ching and prophets and oracles. would love guidence in this subject.
bodine47

bruvver

New to I Ching

Post by bruvver » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:19 pm

I find the answers puzzling

paulcoord

i-ching

Post by paulcoord » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:04 pm

a wonderful book. how to use the i-ching by stephen karcher. ISBN1-86204-476-7. the oracle has always felt special to me and i have looked through many variants. the i-ching gets into your very being and may produce what your sub-concious knows but you will fight against due to the over crowded mind. this particular book does not step away from the theme just eases the journey. personally i have used most methods of divination with the i- ching,and each unto thier own
if you have not yet tried the marble method i would reccomend give it a shot. hex 31 could help also
you are the beauty of love and wonder

SHAYUI

Re: i-ching

Post by SHAYUI » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 pm

while consulting I-ching must we do it at certain time, quiet place and follow China time

grace caluban

Post by grace caluban » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:12 pm

is this the same as the ones i see in chinese temples in the philippines?
2 crescent shaped wooden blocks on the altar. take them and hold them in both hands.  put the wooden blocks over the huge vase of burning joss sticks and ask the question --should be answerable by yes or no only..Drop both blocks. If both blocks have the same convex side up then the answer is yes. If both flat shaped bottoms are up the answer is no. If one is flat and the other isn't, the gods refuse to answer.
for further clarifications, you can get the vase containing wooden sticks and shake them until one pops out. take the stick and ask (using the blocks) if it is the right stick. If the answer is no, repeat the priocess until you get a yes. If the asnwer is yes, look at stick and note the number on it. Go to the huge cabinet and pull out the drawer with the corresponding number. Take a piece of paper inside the drawer and bring it to the high priest for its interpretation.

Lycona

Post by Lycona » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:11 pm

I just bought a beautiful oracle last night called the Dragon Oracle.  It has several things in it, inlcuding a Chinese oracle with the 12 animals, a Feng Shui compass, and three coins for use in I Ching.  I'd never used I Ching before, and I read that is it also done with yarrow sticks, though the book mentioned that coins are being more heavily used now than they have been before.  Anyone have preferences on either method?

I used it for the first time this afternoon, and I kind of like it.  In some ways, it is more straight-forward than tarot, but it is more difficult to calculate, at least until I get used to it.  

Either way, for 10 bucks, it wasn't too bad of a deal.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste great with ketchup.

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm

I ching is one of those things I don't know much about but would love to learn. The only place I have really tried
it are the free online readings. Anyone have any ideas on those. I know online tarot can be accurate.
Donna

Sir Mullich Vn

Post by Sir Mullich Vn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 am

Dear mystic67,

The most traditional method is that you cast the coins, looking for moving lines and reading the I ching at the relating hexagrams. This method is practiced by many people. There are many freewares including the one made by MB that helps you to do so. There are so many other methods. I am practicing many methods and still studying. I now cast the coins everyday and ask so many questions of type " When will something happen" and am amazed of the accuracy rate (nearly 100 %). I believe that the oracles are always accurate except for some special cases which are rare, and except for the cases when I misinterpreted the oracles; those cases usually happen to a beginner, the more practice, the less number of misinterpretations one will encounter. So mystic67, download the freeware and experience for yourself.

GtheBuck

Re: Usage of I-Ching cards

Post by GtheBuck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:52 pm

eygt2503 wrote:I have a book and it instructs that I phrase my question into a sentence, change it into numbers (while taking into account the time of asking), to obtain the current and future readings.  However, is it true that I can skip these and just shuffle a pack of 64 cards and read the seventh card from the top of the deck?  However, it also means that I will not get two readings - a current and a future.  Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Many thanks!
When using the I Ching in the past, my instruction was indeed to write my question into as specific a form as possible.  This would remove any vague notion or cloud the answers given.

I would then write the question onto a pice of paper before tossing 3 coins to form the hexagrams.

The book also gave indications on how to interpret the first and second hexagrams where moving lines were generated.

If you would like more information on the book I used, let me know and I will provide it.  I don't have it to hand right now.

:smt002
Mad is a word they use to describe those who do not conform to their narrow minded standards of "normality".

GtheBuck

Post by GtheBuck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Lycona wrote:I just bought a beautiful oracle last night called the Dragon Oracle.  It has several things in it, inlcuding a Chinese oracle with the 12 animals, a Feng Shui compass, and three coins for use in I Ching.  I'd never used I Ching before, and I read that is it also done with yarrow sticks, though the book mentioned that coins are being more heavily used now than they have been before.  Anyone have preferences on either method?

I used it for the first time this afternoon, and I kind of like it.  In some ways, it is more straight-forward than tarot, but it is more difficult to calculate, at least until I get used to it.  

Either way, for 10 bucks, it wasn't too bad of a deal.
I have only ever used the coin method and found it to be effective and fast.  If the answers given are not satisfactory, reword your question to be more specific.

Hope this helps!

:smt003
Mad is a word they use to describe those who do not conform to their narrow minded standards of "normality".

chiahsieh

Post by chiahsieh » Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 am

There are multiple ways to use i-ching... I-ching is the fundamental theory and the beginning to entire Chinese divination and Feng Shui. If you are really serious about learning it, I'll have a few suggestion. Really understand I-ching's philosophy but don't get stuck in the words because true master don't really use the verse to predict at all. Below I'll explain the ways of how people use i-ching.

Elementary Way (The false way):
You read strickly to the books and make your reading according to the verse. However, I sincerely doubt the accuracy of that, unless the gods really want to take you in as their student, or else your prediction has more than 50% of chance to be wrong.

There are really two main i-ching reading method, one is called the plum flower method. The guy who invented this method can read signs through bird chirps and dog barking, etc. to figure out what will happen next. I'm not the expert in this so I'll not comment too much about it. I only use it when something unique happens to me, then I might read into it.

The other method which I'm familiar with is very very complex. Each verse is really translate to chinese 天干地支 (symbol for sky and earth) and you will match it with date, then interpret it from there.
I am an i ching master looking for an intelligent student in San Diego area with good integrity to pass on my teaching.
( California area is fine also, but you must travel to San Diego)

Return to “I-Ching”