Looking for a book......

I-Ching or the "Book of Changes" is an ancient Chinese divination manual and book of wisdom. Know more about it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ozzman

Post by ozzman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 pm

I have enjoyed HOW TO USE THE I CHING book which is a guide to the ancient oracle of change (this it says on the cover) and is written by Stephen Karcher. It has been very informative and helpful for the beginner. Down the road, I will venture further as needed, but  for right now, this is givivng me a good foundation.
Good luck...... :smt016

Ozzman
ozzman

ozzman

Books on I Ching

Post by ozzman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm

A good book to start with that deals mosly with three coin divination
and is easy to under stand and use is one by Stephen Karcher it is probally still in print. It teachs with out being tedious!
Also there is the fortune tellers I ching which I procured at arare and used boob store and to top it off The  IChing Work book by MONDO SECTER which I am more than reassonablr sure is still in print.
 Project guttenberg has free E-Books of all the Chinese classics including
the I Ching. Some of these books explain how to use wood sticks also
nine coins ,but the  three coin method has been around a lond time and is very satisfying!  Check out your local used and new book shops or the
electronic book site above Project Guttenberg it is free!)
   ozzman
ozzman

fireraven

Post by fireraven » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:06 am

Just to re-iterate what some of you have already said....

The best place to start is with a fairly straight translation of the Yi Jing (sorry, I prefer using pinyin to wade-giles - its just how i learned chinese).

The Richard Wilhelm translation is what I started with, and it is a relatively authoritative and good translation. But remember that for English-speakers, you are reading an English translation of a German translation of a modern Chinese translation of ancient Chinese texts....

Having said that, Wilhelm's translation of the Chinese is somewhat dated now, and his own biases come through when you are familiar with the pitfalls of translating Chinese concepts into Western words.

Thomas Cleary has done some very good work in translating ancient Chinese spiritual/philosophical texts - most of his stuff is published by Shambhala Publications. He's released a translation of the Book of Changes called "The Taoist I Ching" (note wade-giles translation), and it is a complete translation of a 18/19th-Century translation/commentaries of Daoist adept Liu I-Ming.

The best thing about this book is the Daoist nature of the Hexagrams, thus more personal and mystical - whereas Wilhelm's are inherently Confucian in nature and the advice is more general, and was used to assist in the governance of the State. This is the fundamental difference between Confucianism and Daoism - the former placed emphasis on the individual's relationship to the community, whereas the latter's emphasis was on the individual's relationship to the Divine.

The Yi Jing is a powerful tool for those of us interested in all things 'mystical' and a good way to learn to live "with the Dao"....

P

olusanya

Post by olusanya » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:40 pm

My first I Ching book was Richard Wilhelm's translation, however my favorite I Ching reference is "The Book of Unchanging Truth" by Hua Ching Ni, a living Taoist master. It is extremely informative, with very clear judgements of the hexagrams.
The unborn Lord has many incarnations. He has incarnated, as the Navagrahas to bestow on the living beings the results due to their Karmas. He is Janardan. He assumed the auspicious form of Grahas to destroy the Asuras and sustain the Devas.

bruvver

Post by bruvver » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 pm

I Ching The No 1 Success Formula by Christopher MARKERT  It explains the meanings in modern terms  which makes it easier to understand.

goldpuregold

Post by goldpuregold » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello fellow travelers of life. My understanding of the I Ching is when the coins are thrown you've allowed yourself to divine from the whole (which is divided by 64) which enters your mind,body and spirit into acceptance of the totality of life (represented from yin and yang). The hexagram should then be seen as a symbol with no connatation first. The art of divining furher can get as complex as one desires after the acceptance of the symbol in it's own right. Once your whole being sees itself as that symbol then what is outside IS what is inside. The text that then follows allows the person to evolve and therefore helps others as their compassion grows within themselves. Hope this helps.
Heaven is Great, Earth is Great therefore I am Great.

goldpuregold

I ching basics

Post by goldpuregold » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Hello fellow travelers of life. My understanding of the I Ching is when the coins are thrown you've allowed yourself to divine from the whole (which is divided by 64) which enters your mind,body and spirit into acceptance of the totality of life (represented from yin and yang). The hexagram should then be seen as a symbol with no connatation first. The art of divining furher can get as complex as one desires after the acceptance of the symbol in it's own right. Once your whole being sees itself as that symbol then what is outside IS what is inside. The text that then follows allows the person to evolve and therefore helps others as their compassion grows within themselves. Hope this helps.
Heaven is Great, Earth is Great therefore I am Great.

Sir Mullich Vn

Post by Sir Mullich Vn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:55 pm

If you can read Chinese there are many books. English books: Read "I ching", "Super I ching", etc

Sir Mullich Vn

Post by Sir Mullich Vn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:04 pm

If you like some reading give me private answer. If you still not believe, give me as many questions as you want too.

Sir Mullich Vn

Post by Sir Mullich Vn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Sorry the last post I typed fast and that must have been "question" instead of "answer".

bkesm605

Easy to Follow Book

Post by bkesm605 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 am

I highly recommend  

[size=18][b]I Ching for Beginners: A Modern Interpretation of the Ancient Oracle (For Beginners (Llewellyn's)) [Paperback[/size]ck][/b]

It might even be at your local library that's where I first found it.

Explains the process and hexagrams very well that anyone can understand. I used it to do some readings for me and it was right on with my situations in life!
Enjoy
Katy Snodgrass

Return to “I-Ching”