Looking for a book......

I-Ching or the "Book of Changes" is an ancient Chinese divination manual and book of wisdom. Know more about it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

aelis2004

Looking for a book......

Post by aelis2004 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:48 pm

I wish I knew more...... Could anyone please suggest me a good book on I-Ching? Thank you sooooo much! :)
Love and Light, :smt008 :smt060
:::Aelis:::

Usui Reiki and Seichim master

vdv64

Post by vdv64 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Just have a look at Amazon. From Richard Wilhelm and James Legge there are good translations.
Be careful with titles like The I Ching of Love or else ... That's almost sure crap.
The I Ching can be much more than only VERY interesting. Strange that only few people use it. The most loose interest before have explored the incredible potential of the I Ching.
For me (and not only for me) it has been a great "Little Helper" for more than 35 years so far.
Cheers
P

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Hey VDV.

welcome to the forum! why dont you tell us more about I Ching and share your knowledge with us... a lot of people here i am sure would love to learn more about this subject.

Thanks,

Abhishek

vdv64

Post by vdv64 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Namasteh Abhishek,
I actually wouldn't know where to begin to share informations on the I Ching.
But of course I'm always willing to help if needed. Only thing is, my english is quite rough, that makes it difficult to explain tricky things - and there are lots speaking of the I Ching.
I use the I Ching also to help others and I can proudly say I do it well. But it's not that easy even in my own language, because if people wants to hear only what they want it is sometimes hard to come through with the truth :smt002
But as said, if I can help, I'll be more than happy to do it. Just ask.
Cheers
P

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:08 pm

hello VDV,
great to have u here.. can u give us some points as to how I Ching can help us in our daily life? or some good books ?

vdv64

Post by vdv64 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Well, the I Ching is helpful in almost every range of daily life. Impossible to list the possibilities. Most of the questions I have to handle are after partnerships. Great results, if people is ready to follow the hints, it really helps - if there's a way of course. The I Ching can give only advice, to handle the situation, that's the duty of the asking person.
But there are many questions also directed to working life. If someone has more than one job offer it is useful to check them to find out what job would be the best.
How to behave with others - in the job, in the family, in partnership and so on.
What can I do to reach this goal ? Many, many posiibilities.
Very helpful is the I Ching in self-development with infinite numbers of possible questions.
Also for managers it is helpful - for example to choose the right employee for a certain function. Or how person x would behave/fit into a certain team. Also here many, many possibilities.
I'm searching always for new shores - so I predicted once the currency fluctuations between USD and D-Mark (in the early 90s before Euro). I did that for a economy magazine. They printed my forecast - for one week, three weeks in advance, two movements for each day, morning and afternoon - and it was right, every single answer showed the right movement.
Big Japanese companies have own branches to coach the management by I Ching. No joke. 600 employees from IBM learned to handle the I Ching in the early 90s. The economy newspaper The Economist made fun of IBM in an article. IBM was weak that time, but after a year they changed to a flat management and since then IBM is strong again.
The Japanese generals planned the assault on Pearl Harbor with the I Ching. But they didn't look further, otherwise they would have seen the coming desaster (Hiroshima, Nagasaki).
I could continue, but that would be too much. The I Ching is definitely a great helper, it gives incredible hints, wherever wanted.
Books - I already mentioned the best in another posting: the best translations are of course from James Legge and Richard Wilhelm. There's also a great translation from the Eranos Foundation in Svizzerland. I believe, that's not available in the bookstores, one has to order directly, if still available. But this one is not for beginners, it is very complicated.
I'd suggest to make a course anyway to learn how to work with the I Ching. Only thing is, there are only few serious people to do it. Most are esoteric clubs that offers all and everything and that's a danger. The I Ching isn't esoteric at all.
Hope that information helps you at least a little. If you have further questions, just ask, I'll do my best.
Cheers
P

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:06 pm

hello,
it would be really helpful if u would keep posting some articles on I ching for us? it would open a new avenue for people who are interested in learning about it.
thanks
swetha

vdv64

Post by vdv64 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:47 pm

Swetha, I'd like to do that. I'm doing courses to teach the proper use of the I Ching for many years now. Even at adult education centers.
BUT it's not a question of willing, it's a question of ability. With my premium-english I'd not come far without nasty and surely not helpful misunderstandings.
If there are questions on the I Ching I'll be glad to help if I can - in the range of my possibilities.
P

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:21 pm

hello,
thanks for ur replies... so i think we can direct questions towards u and u can give us specific answers for the same?

Owl of Minerva

Just to add...

Post by Owl of Minerva » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:42 pm

There is a good book out there (I only have a library copy :smt005) called "The Complete I Ching" which looks pretty in-depth (somewhere underneath all the papers in my room, but the author is Karcher). Probably good for more than just a quick-fire reading.

You could probably pick up a good pocket copy of the straight divination meanings that could also be used as a book oracle - I consult my little one that I keep next to my bed if I need an "omen for the day".

Amazon has plenty of complete and not so complete guides out there. Though DJ ICU seems to have summarised most of the information on casting the oracle in his posts on this forum!!!

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:32 am

thanks... will surely take  a look:)

Demonica

Re: Looking for a book......

Post by Demonica » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:42 pm

aelis2004 wrote:I wish I knew more...... Could anyone please suggest me a good book on I-Ching? Thank you sooooo much!  :)
I found a copy of "The Illustrated I Ching" by R.I. Wing at a used book store. It's a pretty good book to have on the subject. :)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:27 pm

As far as I know, the only book you really need for I-Ching IS the I-Ching, aka The Book of Changes.

I seem to recall some  authority saying that you really had to be at least fifty years of age before taking it up--kids younger than that just don't get it--so I gave it a shot when I turned fifty.  Couldn't get the hang of it, and stuck with easier oracles like The tarot, the Crystal oracle, and the good old pendulum.  Maybe I'll give it another try when I turn sixty.

Johonet

The I Ching Workbook

Post by Johonet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:20 pm

The best book on the I Ching that I have used is "The I Ching Workbook" by R. L. Wing. It is a large, spiral-bound paperback, and it goes into specific detail about the hexagrams, and devotes a special paragraph to each line. I don't think the book has been reprinted, and it may be hard to come by. If you find it, I'm sure you will treasure its wisdom.

fraudprod

Books on I Ching

Post by fraudprod » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Of course, the most common test is "The Book of Changes" (you can find references on this site I'm sure.)
IMHO, there is one book that will help understanding the I Ching more than any other: "Tao Teh Ching" -- I recommend either the B. Hoff or the John C.H. Wu translations.
If the Tao seems too complex (or, more likely, too simple), "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff is probably the best introduction to Taoism available.

Return to “I-Ching”