Learning I-Ching 04

I-Ching or the "Book of Changes" is an ancient Chinese divination manual and book of wisdom. Know more about it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MarcoAZS

Learning I-Ching 04

Post by MarcoAZS » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:21 am

Hey  :smt083 ,
     Now that we are already on a better level of the I-Ching knowledge, we will move own to Origins of the Trigram Concept, that will help you to understand the positions/ patterns/ and lines of the I-ching better  :smt081
      After the ultimate beginning , heaven (yang) and earth (yin) were created. When those two interacted they produced four complex energy combinations. Each combination symbolized by two yin/yang lines (remembering that yin is the broken line and yang the solid one). The TOP line in each combination is the heaven line (this means that even though earth is yin and yang is earth, there will still be variations on their lines), and the bottom line is the earth line.
     Then a third line was inserted for each combination (ensuring that the trinity, heaven, earth and humanity-- also called san cai -- was attained). That line was inserted on the middle of the combinations (representing humanity). Resulting on eight three-line combinations (trigrams). Each represent one of the outer squares seen by Fu Xi (the squares around the magic number, 5 ). Now: the trigram with three broken lines representing great yin and the trigram with three solid lines representing great yang. Now there are 8 important trigrams take a look:
   The trigrams represent, the human standing between heaven and earth (its like after world was created, human was created on the middle of it). The eight trigrams unveil the heavenly process in nature and to aid in understand the character of everything (they could be used to explain the existence of all physical, psychological, natural and social manifestations.
   The pattern of interactions between these eight trigrams is called "Laws of Change" or "Principles of the Universe". Remembering that 8x8 = 64, you can understand the hexagrams are originated from the interaction of two trigrams :). Hope you are getting that well, any doubts just ask, I will be here, I will be stopping for today till monday I guess so you can have a time to breath  :)
Lights and Angels!
MarcoAZS

The trinity of heaven, earth and humanity. The trigrams represent our reality as the human standing between heaven and earth.
"One produces two; two produces three; three is manifasted as all possible things." Lao Tsu, Tao Te Ching

Nicole

~*~Marco~*~

Post by Nicole » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:19 am

Huh, Mountain and Thunder are flipped flopped...
Wind and Lake are also... Interesting~!! :-)

npb

Post by npb » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:22 am

please continue,, i just cant wait to learn more from you.

thanks

MarcoAZS

Re: ~*~Marco~*~

Post by MarcoAZS » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Nicole wrote:Huh, Mountain and Thunder are flipped flopped...
Wind and Lake are also... Interesting~!! :-)
hmm thats kinda hard to understand right?  the first time I saw it, I was like  :smt017 , but then as all things in I-ching there is an explanation for that:
Heaven and Earth are universal opposites
Fire and Water are organic opposites
Mountain and Lake are elemental opposites
Wind and Thunder are impulsive opposites
don't worry, further we go, further we will understand that  :)
 Oh and if you see, the ones you said, they have the same humanity bar but different heaven and earth ones  :)
Lights and Trigrams!
MarcoAZS

DragonKnight

Post by DragonKnight » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:29 am

element
earth
air
water
fire

physical affects endo and exothermic
static
physics

tresfavian

I Ching 04

Post by tresfavian » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:17 am

Can you explain further where 8x8=64 comes into play with the I Ching ?  Does it stop there ?  Not sure if I'm following.
I do understand and see how it is all channeling up to the hexagrams.  thanxs.

tft

MarcoAZS

Re: I Ching 04

Post by MarcoAZS » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:17 pm

tresfavian wrote:Can you explain further where 8x8=64 comes into play with the I Ching ?  Does it stop there ?  Not sure if I'm following.
I do understand and see how it is all channeling up to the hexagrams.  thanxs.

tft
yes certainly, sorry for the late answer been very very busy these times, happy new year :)
8x8 = 64 means all the possible combinations of trigrams to make an hexagram. an hexagram is made of two trigrams one in the top and one in the bottom, switching those trigrams in those positions there is 64 possible hexagrams. Hexagrams are the reaction bettween 2 trigrams, I will explain that further on Learning I-Ching 06 dont miss class :) !
MarcoAZS
do you even hear me? Or right now it just got impossible for you? Do you even try? Think on yourself for a while

MarcoAZS

Post by MarcoAZS » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:34 am

Hi,

Im sorry for the lateness, been only able to post now, ve'been back from a surgery, and this is just a notification to tell that I will start to keep posting on Learning I-Ching again, although it might take some time since I'll be having my architecture classes and some other exams on my little free time, I just think its valuable to remember that from now it wont take a long time for I finish posting on I-ching any questions will be answered as always :)

Once again, sorry for the lateness :)

Lights and Lights!
MarcoAZS
do you even hear me? Or right now it just got impossible for you? Do you even try? Think on yourself for a while

Return to “I-Ching”